Shave of the Day Thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semogue SOC Cherry
Boellis Panama 1924
Hayashi Diamond 1072
Acqua di Parma Colonia​

A24A47F1-1A82-4E2A-916F-56CD23F24C71_zpsltvjysiy.jpg

@Korbz if I understood correctly when using plate #5 on Rockwell 6s, you've been shaving WTG, XTG and ATG using plate #5 right? If so how smooth and efficiently going XTG and ATG because WTG is way too easy, also which double edge did you used on plate #5

Cheers ;)

Hey buddy, been doing WTG and 2 x XTG (though it is almost ATG on the face, just not neck). Been going between Permasharp and vintage polsi, which have been very smooth (especially with the Blackship Grooming soap, for some reason I always get great results with that combo).

Hey buddy, been doing WTG and 2 x XTG (though it is almost ATG on the face, just not neck). Been going between Permasharp and vintage polsi, which have been very smooth (especially with the Blackship Grooming soap, for some reason I always get great results with that combo).

Very interesting @Korbz I couldn't get a close shave on my neck going XTG twice, I had to finish my final shave on the neck with ATG I guess everybody is different which is very normal.

Very interesting @Korbz I couldn't get a close shave on my neck going XTG twice, I had to finish my final shave on the neck with ATG I guess everybody is different which is very normal.
Been finding it varies largely on the razor for me. If I go straight ATG on my neck I get ingrowns around the collar. So for that area I try to stick with wtg and xtg. About an inch higher than that is where I can almost go ATG, but just keep a slight angle there to stop going too close again.

Pre: Sacrificial lather & hot face washer, Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: Platypus
Soap/Cream: Shaver Heaven Arctic Mango
Razor: Crown & Sword ERN straight, Rockwell 6S (2) (Final pass only)
Blade: Feather (3)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Myrsol Formula "C", TSW After Balm

Gave the straight another run tonight.
Began with a @bald as sacrificial lather under a hot face washer.
Wet the face and lathered up again. Not having to mow down two complete days worth of stubble did help.
Horrendous technique did not... :nailbiting: Did 2 passable WTG passes with the straight, to be left not quite SAS...
Finished off with the Rockwell with a XTG pass to be a little more than SAS.
The alum told me that my straight shaving is rubbish at this point, but the After Balm tells me that I should keep trying...
I think I'll be leaving this to the weekends however, took a lot longer than with the trusty DE! :whistle:
All in all, a good learning experience, if for nothing else but to realise that my lather needs some work also. ;)

Sunday 19 February 2017

7wRRf8gPXxMEiVpwtgZKwG3YItUtB2We6jNevu4FIvKI98TZFOxKd3uH8UmejBe9CMAyYsGfY5v_QC8ttS1fvSy0EQAYmsmK1A=w1920-h1080-no

Mastro Livi ArtInox Stainless Steel Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point

Yesterday I finally received the phone call I was waiting since a quite long time. Mastro Livi phoned me and said he had finished making my straight razor. You know what happened next: I drove straight to Mastro Livi's laboratory in order to admire and pick up the latest Mastro Livi masterpiece for my collection. This breathtaking straight razor is a Mastro Livi ArtInox Stainless Steel Damascus, that is a damascus completely made of martensitic stainless steels therefore suited for hardening and tempering, perfect for making cutting edges. Mastro Livi calls his totally artisan made stainless damascus steel "ArtInox". I love the pattern: a subtle and elegant stripe pattern changing its aspect according to the reflection of light. Scales are made of stabilized poplar in blue gray color, simply perfect for the blade. Mastro Livi rules and strikes again with this masterpiece second to none. A gorgeous and perfect shave!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Sapone da Barba all'Olio di Mandorla
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger "Pennello Italiano", 24mm Knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Medium Loom Strop "Coramella Italiana" and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi ArtInox Stainless Steel Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Snake Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine

Razor: Vintage Personna Micrometric
Blade: Vintage Personna [England] blade (8)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson 'M1'
Soap/Cream: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars Shave Soap
Aftershave: Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cuban Cigars Aftershave

Slightly cooler this morning here in Canberra, wanted something warming to start the day. The HeV did the job.

ktRfmzd.jpg

Musgo Glyce
Boots Manchurian
Timeless
Feather
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Salve
L&L Chatillon Lux TSM Fougère Aftershave
APR les généraux du grand livre EDP

The wonderful L&L Chatillon Lux collaboration this morning, particularly suiting to the cooler weather. A great lather with superior slickness and a great post shave feel. A nice two passes then a warm water rinse off and on with the complimentary salve and aftershave, rounded it off with unsurprisingly another Fougère by way of the GL.

Have a cracking day you capital bastards! :pompous:

QCS have shut down now haven't they? Hope you got spares.

I never did get to try their Vostok soap.

iqhVwaj.gif

Date: 20 February 2017

Brush: - Semogue SOC 2 Band Badger in Ash Wood 24/53mm
Lather: - Cella (sample) shaving soap
Razor: - Parker Variant Adjustable
Blade: - Polsilver Super Iridium #1
Post Shave: - T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent / Speck Aftershave

I've found a complete forgotten locked away for nearly 9 months of 8 Cella (sample) shaving soap still hasn't been touch throughout my wet shaving, it's a total shame that I haven't used it and I still don't know why I bother not using Cella so it time to start using some Cella shaving soap today before this could end up in a trash bin. I find Cella shaving soap is very similar to Stirling Almond Creme shaving soap and Stirling smell a lot better then Cella, also Stirling has more slickness and much better lather than Cella.

Cella is still a great shaving soap for around $15 AUD for 150ml which is pretty cheap for a soft soap, trouble is most wet shavers can be allergic to almond so please be aware before trying out Cella or you could end up in a very bad way.

Last edited:
Brush: Maggards 26mm synthetic
Lather: Stifling margaritas in the artic
Razor: Rockwell 6s
Blade: Silver Star
Post Shave: Thayers lemon, Nivea original

First shave with the 6s. Started with the #3 plate and the Rockwell blade but found that really wasn't working, quickly changed to #4 and the silver star. I was surprised how mild the #3 was and perhaps the Rockwell blade is not very sharp, one quick try is not much of a trial but I wanted this first go on the 6s to be a good one as I had been looking forward to it. Had a great shave after the change, 2 passes on the #4, very smooth and deceptively close. Flipped to the #2 for the ATG, again really too mild, I should have left it on 4.
The brush and soap gave great lather and slickness was excellent. All in all a good shave and plenty of experimenting to do with the added value of the 6s.

P.S. This was my Sunday shave but I spent way too much time yesterday trying to put the pictures up and then left it. Any helpful tips would be appreciated, I am no computer wiz!

One man's crappy blades, are another man's Feathers.

@walklikeaduck I've been thinking since you're looking into a mild blade, please try Perma-Sharp Super because is like a perfect balance sword holding in your hand ready for combat every time. Perma-Sharp Super is sharper than Derby Extra and Voskhod not too bloody sharp as a Feather blade, and the best part about Perma-Sharp Super is also smoother not too smooth as Voskhod. So please try Perma-Sharp Super is like a perfect balance sword holding your hand ready for combat without any trouble or issue is worth trying out.

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.