Status
Not open for further replies.
20170218_SOTD_S_zpsuwmpe53d.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Lather: Soap Testing
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

What can I say - have a great weekend everyone (y)(y)(y)

84657b9cf84492fdc941c2bcaac660ed.jpg

Interesting SOTD...

Firstly, maiden voyage of the Platypus. It performed exactly as I had envisaged. Nice backbone with great flow and super soft tips. I'll be surprised if the tips don't hook after a couple of uses.

Next, huge thanks to Tony for the lend of the Timeless 95. Lovely 3 pass shave, no weepers or irritation. I think the 68 would be a perfect daily driver, with the slightly reduced blade feel.

Sapono soap and balm was ok. This was the let down in the shave tbh. The scent on the soap was a nice coconut vanilla mix, however the performance lacked slickness. I'll have to try again and see if it was me, but don't think so. The balm was/is very think. I mixed with some water but still a little gluggy. Not a bad face feel afterwards, but not close to my favourite balm.

84657b9cf84492fdc941c2bcaac660ed.jpg

Interesting SOTD...

Firstly, maiden voyage of the Platypus. It performed exactly as I had envisaged. Nice backbone with great flow and super soft tips. I'll be surprised if the tips don't hook after a couple of uses.

Next, huge thanks to Tony for the lend of the Timeless 95. Lovely 3 pass shave, no weepers or irritation. I think the 68 would be a perfect daily driver, with the slightly reduced blade feel.

Sapono soap and balm was ok. This was the let down in the shave tbh. The scent on the soap was a nice coconut vanilla mix, however the performance lacked slickness. I'll have to try again and see if it was me, but don't think so. The balm was/is very think. I mixed with some water but still a little gluggy. Not a bad face feel afterwards, but not close to my favourite balm.
I think the Timeless will be my next razor purchase but not for a few months at least. Maybe birthday or Christmas present.

Pre: Proraso Green Pre/Post
Brush: Platypus
Soap/Cream: Stirling Glastonbury
Razor: Rockwell 6S (4,2,2)
Blade: Feather (2)
Post-shave: Alum, Emu Oil, Floid Vigoroso

12 months ago today I had my first DE shave. Occasion enough I think to blow this February madness away!
With a little help from @Draco Noir last week, I had the straight razor my mum found honed.
I began the shave this morning with the idea that I would have my first real straight shave on the anniversary of my first DE shave...
Unfortunately, the blade on the straight tugged and pulled like nothing else... :cry:
More than likely it was something I was either doing wrong, or had not done up to scratch before I attempted to shave.
I may give it another try tomorrow evening with slightly less stubble to mow down - although I thought that was one of the advantages of a straight...
Anyway, seeing as I have lent my DE89 to my brother I went back to the ever faithful 6S and achieved a wonderful shave with no irritation!
Amazing the difference 12 months can make in life. So many things are different today compared to this time last year.
Some better, some worse, but I feel like this community and my shaves are definitely in the better column! (y)
Especially compared to the one on this day 12 months ago!:ROFLMAO:
All in all, a good year, and plenty of good shaves!

12 months ago today I had my first DE shave. Occasion enough I think to blow this February madness away!
With a little help from @Draco Noir last week, I had the straight razor my mum found honed.
I began the shave this morning with the idea that I would have my first real straight shave on the anniversary of my first DE shave...
Unfortunately, the blade on the straight tugged and pulled like nothing else... :cry:
More than likely it was something I was either doing wrong, or had not done up to scratch before I attempted to shave.
I may give it another try tomorrow evening with slightly less stubble to mow down - although I thought that was one of the advantages of a straight...
Anyway, seeing as I have lent my DE89 to my brother I went back to the ever faithful 6S and achieved a wonderful shave with no irritation!
Amazing the difference 12 months can make in life. So many things are different today compared to this time last year.
Some better, some worse, but I feel like this community and my shaves are definitely in the better column! (y)
Good on ya @Normie , glad the "better" column is leading for you!

522044bb86788958a8c1cf8f4666644a.jpg

Pre: Valobra Glycerlanolina soap, Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion
Brush: P&C LE Platypus 2017
Soap: B&M Lavanille
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Sticky
Blade: Vintage Wilkinson Sword French Brown (6)
Splash: Myrsol Plastic Shave

Lovely shave this evening. My first use of B&M Lavanille soap. It has a typically complex B&M scent - I get coffee and cacao on a deep earthy musky base. It appeals to me, and will match well some of my splashes and EDT's.
The beige lather was protective and persistent, and had exceptional residual slickness. Three passes and a minor clean up for a BBS result.
Really good post shave feel, with Myrsol finishing things off nicely. As the photo attests, three of my Myrsol staples are close to empty.

20170218_SOTD_S_zpsuwmpe53d.jpg

Pre-Shave: Cypriotian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: BBS-1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Paladin Lotus
Lather: Soap Testing
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil​

What can I say - have a great weekend everyone (y)(y)(y)

Now that is a great photo. Love the positioning of the razor head capture the reflected image of the handle.

Now that is a great photo. Love the positioning of the razor head capture the reflected image of the handle.
Thank you @TomG - that's very kind of you (y)(y)(y)

• Pre-Shave: Musgo Real Glyce Soap
  • Soap: Stirling Executive Shave
  • Brush: Thater 4125/3 2 Band Bulb
  • Strop: Kanayama (?)
  • Razor: Hayashi Diamond 6/8'
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block, Floid

If I was to recommend one soap to a beginner which combines ease of lather with tremendous performance it would have to be Stirling. The a shiny, slick lather was built in a flash. The only downside being that it robbed me of time massaging my face with that excellent Thater knot.
The shave, whilst comfortable, wasn't quite as close as I'd like. I'm experimenting with a shallower angle in an attempt to get my edges to last longer. This lead to a first pass that wasn't as close as normal. I get the sense that, with straights, if you don't get the first pass right it's hard to play catch up.

Keep at it @Normie. When I first used a straight I had it in my head that they would be like light sabres, mowing down whiskers effortlessly. Depending on your beard type that may come in time, or not at all. They are far more dependent on lather (wetter than for DEs),beard prep and of course angle than DEs are. I'm certainly no expert, as you can see above, but compared to my first straight shave (after which I couldn't understand how anyone could get a decent shave with them) I've improve immensely.

Status
Not open for further replies.