2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Two vintage Yardley soaps

flLKMar.png
KBz6eTO.png

Happiness is a warm puppy
Happiness is a puck of Yardley. And two pucks are twice as good. (y) (y)

So I was shaving with my KCG the other day and thinking if there was a CNC version of the R89 head. Then the Pearl Blaze came up on my feed (probably off my Google searches for a CNC R89). CNC plated brass. Looks like the R89, but from most reviews, supposedly unlike the R89. Blade gap 0.74mm so it should be a nice mild shave regardless.

HcHTJ9f.jpg

D5Lun2t.jpg

So I was shaving with my KCG the other day and thinking if there was a CNC version of the R89 head. Then the Pearl Blaze came up on my feed (probably off my Google searches for a CNC R89). CNC plated brass. Looks like the R89, but from most reviews, supposedly unlike the R89. Blade gap 0.74mm so it should be a nice mild shave regardless.

HcHTJ9f.jpg

D5Lun2t.jpg
The corners of the base plate are too edgy and pointy, which can feel very uncomfortable for some wet shavers as YMMV, and it's not for me

The corners of the base plate are too edgy and pointy, which can feel very uncomfortable for some wet shavers as YMMV, and it's not for me

Yeah, 'cause you wouldn't want anything sharp near your face would you :ROFLMAO:

So, I finally managed to get my hands on the Yaqi Sentinel 1.35mm. Took a punt on the Aliexpress Discovery sale. They had an option where I can release funds only after receipt of goods, so if I get cancelled again, no biggie. Sentinel head, plus 2 handles and a 24mm G4 brush (and stickers!) for $130.

On first glance, it is definitely different to the DSCosmetic Poleaxe. Look at the blade exposure! The 1.35mm Poleaxe shaves ultra aggressive, even more so than the Z0. The 1.5mm version must be pretty much unshaveable. Hopefully, the Yaqi version is milder.

rwltfoP.jpg

xPj6bJu.jpg

DSC Poleaxe on the left, Yaqi on the right.

lsGdS1E.jpg

So, I finally managed to get my hands on the Yaqi Sentinel 1.35mm. Took a punt on the Aliexpress Discovery sale. They had an option where I can release funds only after receipt of goods, so if I get cancelled again, no biggie. Sentinel head, plus 2 handles and a 24mm G4 brush (and stickers!) for $130.

On first glance, it is definitely different to the DSCosmetic Poleaxe. Look at the blade exposure! The 1.35mm Poleaxe shaves ultra aggressive, even more so than the Z0. The 1.5mm version must be pretty much unshaveable. Hopefully, the Yaqi version is milder.

rwltfoP.jpg

xPj6bJu.jpg

DSC Poleaxe on the left, Yaqi on the right.

lsGdS1E.jpg

I had the Yaqi sentinel 1.55mm.
Didn't get on with it unfortunately.
It is a smooth shaver, no harshness, but the large gap left my skin a little raw and the shave wasn't BBS.

I do 4 passes daily so a low gap/high exposure razor like the blackbird ticks all the boxes for me!

Still yet to find another razor like it!

I've had a fantastic little parcel arrive today, my latest brush from @TroyTools. Introducing "Polar Nocturne", with a 28mm Titanium knot from AP Shave Co.
PXL-20230526-051647129-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL-20230526-051557857-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

PXL-20230526-051626070-PORTRAIT-ORIGINAL.jpg

I was initially considering calling it "Antarctic Reverie", but the translucent blue is a bit deeper than I originally envisaged, probably because the handle is so huge. I didn't even wait to drive up the hill from my mailbox, I just took my pictures from a fencepost on my neighbour's paddock. If the shape of the handle looks familiar, it's because I like my Vazon Forest brush so much, I was just happy to use the same profile again.

Thanks Troy, you've done it again! :D 👏 👏

I've had a fantastic little parcel arrive today, my latest brush from @TroyTools. Introducing "Polar Nocturne", with a 28mm Titanium knot from AP Shave Co.

I was initially considering calling it "Antarctic Reverie", but the translucent blue is a bit deeper than I originally envisaged, probably because the handle is so huge. I didn't even wait to drive up the hill from my mailbox, I just took my pictures from a fencepost on my neighbour's paddock. If the shape of the handle looks familiar, it's because I like my Vazon Forest brush so much, I was just happy to use the same profile again.

Hang on a bloody minute, you’re not an NSW State of Origin supporter, you’re just an angry little Tassie bastard.

Handover that brush to me right now.

Another Troycraft stunner 😍

Hopefully now with all my major bills out of the way, I can commission a 30mm chubby (and no, that's not a euphemism) within the next 2 weeks 😊