2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Interesting...
A Gem travel set with an Ever-Ready "Streamline" head.

I may be the only one but I think it's interesting.
In great condition, not a scratch on the razor. The box a little worn on the outside, great on the inside with blades and paperwork.

Interesting...

In great condition, not a scratch on the razor. The box a little worn on the outside, great on the inside with blades and paperwork.

Very nice!

Interesting...

Nice condition - I wonder if the shorter handle and lighter weight affects the shave?

Almost the last of my 2022 orders just arrived:

PXL-20230131-021645948-PORTRAIT.jpg

I had intended to call it quits on my Yardley hunt, but when this turned up, I just had to go for it, even though I don't normally go in for sticks. As I had hoped/expected, the scent is still all there :woot:

It’s the shortest month of the year, and we’re already 2 weeks in. Let’s see what we can get before the months end. Post you shaving acquisitions here with pics.

As usual, cool non-shaving stuff goes in this thread

Ok, I’ll go first. I picked up this from EBay. Described as a 1940s Gillette Tech.

52687969058_418cb010a5_c.jpg

52687750219_5832255d1b_c.jpg

52687473971_1d1c1a5829_c.jpg

Last edited:
FB Marketplace, 7 razors, $60. Cheap enough on a gamble. All used and in need of a clean and sterilize.
Fatboy wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Needs a bit of twist therapy, and some corrosion coming through one blade door. Maybe I'll switch the door out with a better one, or give them a high shine brass polish? It was cheap enough to do a custom polish job on.
The Black Beauty is in good nic thankfully, nothing required on that one.
These is a no name cheapie tech lookin thing and a few plastic wilkinsons, plus a black handle gillette adjustable with a stuck adjustment ring. More therapy required there too.

iqE6dg3.jpg

I got the recently released Parker 78R, purely out of curiosity as the head design/geometry looked to be what I prefer.
It is also a bargain price of just $30.

This turned out to be a truly wonderful razor!

There's zero blade chatter (my biggest peeve in a DE razor). Blade alignment was perfect first go.
The gap is not huge, I'm guessing around 0.7mm but the exposure feels decent and it does give a bit of blade feel.
I haven't found actual specs anywhere though.

Loaded up with a BIC, it was super smooth and quite efficient. I would say nearly the D plate of the karve CB.

I'll use it for a few consecutive daily shaves and if it keeps this up, it'll likely become my travel razor of choice!

P.S. The handle just plain sucks! The knurling is great but it's so thin and has a very long stem which can't be used to hold the razor, so one has to hold it far below the head.
I'll definitely change it out for one of my Yaqi SS handles.

I got the recently released Parker 78R, purely out of curiosity as the head design/geometry looked to be what I prefer.
It is also a bargain price of just $30.

This turned out to be a truly wonderful razor!
I bought the Parker 99R when I first got back into DE razors and was quite impressed with it considering the price. Though I think their quality can be a little hit and miss.

I bought the Parker 99R when I first got back into DE razors and was quite impressed with it considering the price. Though I think their quality can be a little hit and miss.

I'm personally not a fan of their models as I find them to have way too much blade chatter for my comfort.

The 78R has minimal chatter and it's just so smooth with very decent efficiency.
Nothing like blackbird level, but then very few razors match the blackbird efficiency for me.

Quality is also very good on the 78R. Perfect alignment, great finishing, thread smoothness etc.
Colour me impressed!

I'm personally not a fan of their models as I find them to have way too much blade chatter for my comfort.

The 78R has minimal chatter and it's just so smooth with very decent efficiency.
Nothing like blackbird level, but then very few razors match the blackbird efficiency for me.

Quality is also very good on the 78R. Perfect alignment, great finishing, thread smoothness etc.
Colour me impressed!

Sounds great for just $30. I think I will give this one a try, too. But yeah, that handle looks uncomfortable.

Edit: seems to be $40 everywhere now - inflation!

Sounds great for just $30. I think I will give this one a try, too. But yeah, that handle looks uncomfortable.

Edit: seems to be $40 everywhere now - inflation!

Still a very good deal IMO
It's worth a shot at this price, not much to lose.

I won't say it's as good as the sub-$100 RAD killer, the Merkur Progress.
But for 40 bucks, getting the shave of a karve C/D, with a high degree of comfort, I'm quite impressed.

FB Marketplace, 7 razors, $60. Cheap enough on a gamble. All used and in need of a clean and sterilize.
Fatboy wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Needs a bit of twist therapy, and some corrosion coming through one blade door. Maybe I'll switch the door out with a better one, or give them a high shine brass polish? It was cheap enough to do a custom polish job on.
The Black Beauty is in good nic thankfully, nothing required on that one.
These is a no name cheapie tech lookin thing and a few plastic wilkinsons, plus a black handle gillette adjustable with a stuck adjustment ring. More therapy required there too.

iqE6dg3.jpg
Those black handle Gillette razors are definitely worth some attention. I used to have one back when they were still new, and it was great. Of course, back in those days we didn't have much in the way of choice of blade, Wilkie (British I think) or Gillette "whatever". I don't remember noticing a difference...