2023 Shaving Acquisitions Thread

Declaration Grooming Massacre Of The Innocents Shave Soap & Aftershave Splash
U3UQgwu.png
lnFJCdW.png

Is there a DG distributor here in Oz?
I hear their milk steak base is top notch
There isn’t a DG distributor here in Australia as far as I’m aware, because, mostly Australian aren’t prepared to pay premium quality price in Australia from America…. Otherwise I could be mistaken, but, I know the prices and international shipping are going up in America, and I have no doubt that Australian are copping the same issue in their own backyard.

I got the recently released Parker 78R, purely out of curiosity as the head design/geometry looked to be what I prefer.
It is also a bargain price of just $30.

This turned out to be a truly wonderful razor!

There's zero blade chatter (my biggest peeve in a DE razor). Blade alignment was perfect first go.
The gap is not huge, I'm guessing around 0.7mm but the exposure feels decent and it does give a bit of blade feel.
I haven't found actual specs anywhere though.

Loaded up with a BIC, it was super smooth and quite efficient. I would say nearly the D plate of the karve CB.

I'll use it for a few consecutive daily shaves and if it keeps this up, it'll likely become my travel razor of choice!

P.S. The handle just plain sucks! The knurling is great but it's so thin and has a very long stem which can't be used to hold the razor, so one has to hold it far below the head.
I'll definitely change it out for one of my Yaqi SS handles.

Just thought I'd give a quick update after a few uses of the Parker 78R.

The efficiency (with a sharp blade like BIC) is not more than the karve C plate.

The karve D plate could yield a closer and longer lasting shave.

The post shave shadow is kind of dark for my liking but very few razors lighten it to my preference (blackbird and progress being most capable without tearing upmy skin).

Comfort is extremely good!
No blade chatter!

The same gap with a bit more exposure would have been perfect for me as a daily driver.
But I'm definitely not disappointed with it.

Well, it was only a matter of time before I succumbed to the considerable skills of Troy of TroyCraft.
I've admired his work ever since he came on the scene, and I know that many of my fellow members own and covet his brushes.

My first dip in the pond was a commission job. I own a Zenith Silvertip knot that I love, but the handle was cactus. After a series of discussions with Troy, he came up with a handle design, and subsequently made the new handle into which he transplanted the knot.

I am absolutely delighted with every aspect of this brush. I am also appreciative of the excellent packaging and accessories that came with the brush. Troy has kindly deferred to me to name this beauty. Thus, I shall call it the Sapphire Amphora. A rather gradiose title, but befitting of Troy's craftsmanship. We are indeed lucky to have Troy in our wet-shaving community.

C6wUbsw.jpg

NTa0L7e.jpg

tkORfEr.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it was only a matter of time before I succumbed to the considerable skills of Troy of TroyCraft.
I've admired his work ever since he came on the scene, and I know that many of my fellow members own and covet his brushes.

My first dip in the pond was a commission job. I own a Zenith Silvertip knot that I love, but the handle was cactus. After a series of discussions with Troy, he came up with a handle design, and subsequently made the new handle into which he transplanted the knot.

I am absolutely delighted with every aspect of this brush. I am also appreciative of the excellent packaging and accessories that came with the brush. Troy has kindly deferred to me to name this beauty. Thus, I shall call it the Sapphire Amphora. A rather gradiose title, but befitting of Troy's craftsmanship. We are indeed lucky to have Troy in our wet-shaving community.

C6wUbsw.jpg

NTa0L7e.jpg

tkORfEr.jpg
A0naZhi.gif
JFmUie4.gif

HEAPS BETTER THAN JUST BLOODY 'SPARKLY PINKY!!'

C6wUbsw.jpg

NTa0L7e.jpg

tkORfEr.jpg

C6wUbsw.jpg

NTa0L7e.jpg

tkORfEr.jpg
What a beauty, congratulations :D👏👏

I should also mention that our resident Tassie Devil @Gargravarr was a source of inspiration with his beautiful opalesque brush.
Also from the opposite side of Oz, @Holiday shared with me some wise words.

Enablers both!

Congrats on the brush @TomG - looks a beauty again @TroyTools !

Mrs Nanook knew I was considering another shaving brush from Troy so she decided to contact @TroyTools behind my back and between two of them came up with this beauty. It's supposed to be for my birthday, which isn't until April but she couldn't resist giving it to me early (the brush, that is).

I said that we'll have to come up with a name for it, which drew a puzzled look from the wife. She suggested fireball, but I think it might become Firestorm.

It was so hard to take a photo of this one to really bring out its colours, so the pic below doesn't capture how beautiful this brush really is.

ggQRzeol.jpg

yvn1nt0l.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs Nanook knew I was considering another shaving brush from Troy so she decided to contact @TroyTools behind my back and between two of them came up with this beauty. It's supposed to be for my birthday, which isn't until April but she couldn't resist giving it to me early (the brush, that is).

I said that we'll have to come up with a name for it, which drew a puzzled look from the wife. She suggested fireball, but I think it might become Firestorm.

It was so hard to take a photo of this one to really bring out its colours, so the pic below doesn't capture how beautiful this brush really is.

ggQRzeol.jpg

yvn1nt0l.jpg
Kewl :love: Congratulations (y)

ggQRzeol.jpg

yvn1nt0l.jpg
Nice brush! Looks more like blood than fire to me though... :p