February 2012 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting buy! I always think they look like surgical devices. Be interesting to hear if you can get a shave out of it. Getting blades could be a problem but then maybe the ones supplied with it will last forever. By the way..gravelsnipe? You've been hanging out with Mark. I can tell. You're turning in to a proffesional e-bayer.

Last edited:
Interesting buy! I always think they look like surgical devices. Be interesting to hear if you can get a shave out of it. Getting blades could be a problem but then maybe the ones supplied with it will last forever. By the way..gravelsnipe? You've been hanging out with Mark. I can tell. You're turning in to a proffesional e-bayer.

Actually it was the HunnyMonster who put me on to Gavelsnipe - not as much fun but gets the job done - mind you I probably wouldnt have ended up with these if I had been online.

I use Gixen - but the same principle. I've learnt before about bidding 100 thinking AUD and finding it was GBP - back when I started collecting it made a HUGE difference - at least yours is a fairly low cost lesson.

Despite the best intentions sniping hasn't got me any of the flood of bottom dials on eBay recently. More in 2 weeks than in total over the last 2 years - still none are mine.

How many SEs would $800 buy? Nah, don't want to think about that - I really don't understand them. Straights? No, too complicated. Watches? Yikes - really expensive. Fountain pens, Hmmm, nice, but not cheap either. [sigh]

My month to date:

It is a cruel, cruel world.....

I do hope that none of your collection actually has blades in them given your present cheerful mood! (Although there again an SE blade would probably be preferable - having less bend and getting deeper quicker). Not that I am trying to give you anty ideas! :)

and ANOTHER Aussie auction here that I missed out on.....

This game is really no fun at the moment

Last edited:
and ANOTHER Aussie auction that I just missed out on.....

This game is really no fun at the moment

You can't say you just missed out, for all we know the other bidder may have been willing to spend $250 or even $300 to secure those razors. The only problem is that you will never know.

However what you do know is that according to your pricing valuation the other bidder paid too much. The idiot!

Last edited:
Hmmmmm you're the bridesmaid quite a lot lately.

Yep, it is becoming a habit

You can't say you just missed out, for all we know the other bidder may have been willing to spend $250 or even $300 to secure those razors. The only problem is that you will never know.

However what you do know is that according to your pricing valuation the other bidder paid too much. The idiot!

True about not 'just missing out' - that is a silly thought (post edited BTW). I've had the same thing said about a lot of about 12 cased razors I got once. The underbidder claimed to have missed out by $1 which was the bid increment of course. My max bid was about $300 over that!

Still though, there cannot be too many people left willing to pay more than me, surely??????

Ha-ha. I was bidding on these bad boys too! I was well off the mark with the final price though!

I'm calling them as a #15 and #16 - so in good condition worth about $180 - $200 each. BTW if you see an auction with a question from Achim, aka Mr-Razor, you know it will end up high! His collection makes mine look like a good start :amazed:

Achtung! I shall withhold my feeble bid if I sense his presence then...

Not necessarily. I've beaten him, just be prepared to pay a little more!

Another one that WILL get away

I love this guy's auctions. He is an Aussie seller who describes his stuff in such a way you would swear he was an expert if you were new to this game. This is an example:

'THIS RAZOR WOULD NORMALLY SELL AT A VERY HIGH PRICE ... it has very some minor damage to its handle that does not affect its ability to shave .. the important thing is that it was orginally designed to be adjustable to a wide range of shaving angles and is currently set at setting 4 ... and without a service it will shave you at setting 4...... setting 4 on a Gillette is a slightly agressive shave, exactly like using any MECURE razor.... I have used this razor over a period of 1 year and have never cut myself and always maintained a clean shave... this is a high quality shaver that I have reduced to clear.. it will be cleaned and sterilized before dispatch'

Maybe he got the picture wrong:

It looks just like a Black Handle SuperSpeed to me, that was NEVER adjustable.

OK, maybe I'm being harsh. Should I jump on board and grab myself 'WORLD'S BEST DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR... yes!!'

'This is a Gillette DE safety razor . made in the USA .. it is a good weight, has good balance and outperforms razors selling for several times
its cost

User feedback over the years would strongly suggest that this is probably one of (if not THE) most popular razors of all time...while fans of the other varietals, more basic or more hi-tech models were grouping together, this was the most successful design.. balanced, easy to move around difficult areas below the nose, even fans of of heavier or larger razors were won over by its simplicity (check out the shaver websites
.. I was amazed by the near universal support)

This shaver has been lightly cleaned with detergent and water.. allowed to dry and then boiled to make sure that it absolutely sterile...it was made in the 1970's or earlier, its every function is fine..you turn the base, the head opens up, you put in the blade, you screw it back down and
then you shave.... all the plating appears to be in good condition ... you have a beautiful old shaver....from a time when making things properly was still important, and they were expected to last forever.. made of brass to give it proper weight.. and because it wouldn't corrode..coated in heavy layer of Chrome... from a time when chrome was applied properly and didn't come off too.

What you have is a fantastic shaver, that will last you for at LEAST another 50 years... and an investment that was a bargain when you bought it and grows with every year.....how good is it? .. it looks like it is about 18 months old.. if that,

No brassing, no wear, no crap.. all bright, shiny and new!!

Don't get me started on all the landfill that these current plastic shavers fill...or the cost...or the pleasure of a proper shave with a real razor..
Get a real shave, enjoy shaving for once, save the world and ALSO save a huge amount of money on your shaving costs!!

It all starts here!'

Hmmm, lets look at that pic closely:

I do love the 1940s style SuperSpeed but the world's best razor????

I just love eBay sometimes

Is it only Gillettes that you collect Mark?

Is it only Gillettes that you collect Mark?

Pretty much. I have a couple of other types but just around the periphery.

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

So you have twelve of them Mark?

I'd have to say the black handled superspeed and the 1940s superspeed aren't very impressive razors.
I know I harp on about the slim adjustable and the NEW, but all you need from gillette is the slim adjustable and the open comb gillette NEW, nearly everything else is 'meh', over hyped, over priced. As a bonus, they are often the cheapest ones!
Of course a man can't get by with just two razors, so you need a few SE razors as well.

Last edited:

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

Ah well the SE market is about to get overpriced as Mark tries to beat his depression with acquisitions. maybe have to start looking at straights.

By the way Mark - to get you really started in the things you dont collect, I know someone who will shortly possess a unique 1930s Wilkinson Sword SE razor, complete with blades, a strop and because they are really important to you, a case. Very cheap and being offered only to you in the interests of mood enhancing. :)

So you have twelve of them Mark?

Probably by now :D

I'd have to say the black handled superspeed and the 1940s superspeed aren't very impressive razors.

I like the 1940s but the black handle is ho-hum.

I know I harp on about the slim adjustable and the NEW, but all you need from gillette is the slim adjustable and the open comb gillette NEW, nearly everything else is 'meh', over hyped, over priced. As a bonus, they are often the cheapest ones!
Of course a man can't get by with just two razors, so you need a few SE razors as well.

I love the British Aristocrats and yet it is partly for the looks - they are beautiful!

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

I DON'T collect SEs

No means yes.

How long do items normally take to arrive from the UK?

I've ordered a razor from the English Shaving Company (E Jagger) on 22 Jan, and they confirmed it as sent on 24th, and a few bits and pieces from Connaught's which were dispatched on 27th January.

I used my last disposable a week or more ago now, and am starting to need a bit of a scrape.

If I'd known it was going to take this long I might not have thrown the unused disposables away.

Status
Not open for further replies.