February 2012 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 10 or so working days - you've got to allow 2-3 weeks. Connaught have sometimes got stuff here in just over a week.

........I used my last disposable a week or more ago now, and am starting to need a bit of a scrape.

A week or more? You're obviously still in a "shaving is a pain in the arse" timeframe.

My last order from Connaughts only took five working days.

Last edited:
A week or more? You're obviously still in a "shaving is a pain in the arse" timeframe.

Yes, but I had also hoped that something would turn up before now, so had thought I would hold off so that I had a few days growth to attack.
Then when it doesn't turn up each day, I keep thinking "Well one more day won't hurt. If I shave it off now, when the razor arrives tomorrow there will be nothing to use it on".

Yes, but I had also hoped that something would turn up before now, so had thought I would hold off so that I had a few days growth to attack.
Then when it doesn't turn up each day, I keep thinking "Well one more day won't hurt. If I shave it off now, when the razor arrives tomorrow there will be nothing to use it on".

That's an official conundrum.

I had a conference to go to today, so found one last disposable in my travel bag, and guess what?
It was like lighting up a cigarette after waiting 25 minutes for a bus to turn up - 3 parcels turned up today.

I didn't get home in time to collect. Hopefully the post office is open tomorrow morning.

I got the following from Mustafas in Singapore this week (prices in Singapore $ - currently 1 Aussie dollar = 1.35 Singapore):

200 Supermax Platinums ($14)
200 Gillette 7 O'clock Russian Greens ($28)
2 bottles Denim aftershave ($3.50 each).
1 Euro Palmolve Cream ($3.70)
1 German Nivea Cream($4.20)

It's a mad little 24 hour shopping mall in Little India. Didn't know to look for razor accessories the last time I was there, but will be staying overnight in Singapore in April, so might see what i can pick up while there.

My orders from the UK arrived, so I finally get to use my EJ DE89 later today. With it came tiny samples of EJ sandalwood shaving cream, and aftershave lotion.

A sampler pack of razors also arrived, so I don't necessarily have to use the Derbys which appear to be mainly disliked that came with it.
Out of the following are there any that you would recommend I not use yet/ at all as a newbie wet shaver?
  • Derby*10
  • Personna platinum *10
  • Crystal platinum chrome *10
  • Shark super chrome
  • Gillette 7o'clock yellow *6
  • Feather *10
  • Lord platinum
  • Wilkinson sword
  • Astra superior platinum
I presume 5 of each other than the ones indicated above.

Last edited:
It's a mad little 24 hour shopping mall in Little India. Didn't know to look for razor accessories the last time I was there, but will be staying overnight in Singapore in April, so might see what i can pick up while there.

My orders from the UK arrived, so I finally get to use my EJ DE89 later today. With it came tiny samples of EJ sandalwood shaving cream, and aftershave lotion.

A sampler pack of razors also arrived, so I don't necessarily have to use the Derbys which appear to be mainly disliked that came with it.
Out of the following are there any that you would recommend I not use yet/ at all as a newbie wet shaver?
  • Derby*10
  • Personna platinum *10
  • Crystal platinum chrome *10
  • Shark super chrome
  • Gillette 7o'clock yellow *6
  • Feather *10
  • Lord platinum
  • Wilkinson sword
  • Astra superior platinum
I presume 5 of each other than the ones indicated above.

Just stick to one. It really doesn't matter which one. You're not going to be able to tell the difference between one or the other whilst getting used to lathering, stubble patterns, pressure, angles etc etc. On the one hand you could say that if I'm not going to notice the difference then why not change blades but on the other hand it just confuses things. It's good just to focus on one thing (angle or pressure) at a time. If you cut yourself shaving it really doesn't matter which blade you're using. As garethm has noted, it might be good to stay clear of the Feathers as they can be pretty brutal.

Personally I find the difference between DE blades to be the most unremarkable thing about shaving. It pales in to insignificance compared to the difference between razors, lather quality, pressure, angles, stubble pattern etc.

Eggbert they have a great range of shaving creams and aftershaves you just can't get here. Worth the trip IMO.

Have you got a link? I googled their website and it doesn't seem to work.

It doesn't. I think I read elsewhere that they attempted to get an online presence a couple of years back but failed quite miserably and haven't bothered since.

If I have the baggage allowance, I might bring a few bits and pieces back to try out, and then pass along.

Still waiting on the other half to confirm when I can book tickets.

Yes rm71, but just for a general wander around, and a while back now. It is on Serangoon Road i think?
I know it's in Little India, and that if I get a taxi driver from the Indian subcontinent he will know where it is.
In fact this time I might stay in Little India as my usual place has been bulldozed in favour of a new shopping centre.

Yep Serangoon Rd. You can also enter via Syed Alwi Road. I went there by MRT. Took the North East line (Purple line) and got off at Farrer Park Station ( I think this is the closest MRT station to Mustafa Centre). Everyone in Singapore knows Mustafa Centre so no problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.