Got something cool? Non-shaving Acquisitions Thread

...Finally all my tap and die handles in the one drawer, laid out so I can see them all. (almost too heavy to slide in and out though, almost)
That sounds familiar. I have similar drawers full of blacksmithing tools I made for myself when that was my job (and I can't bring myself to give them up just yet, even though they're getting almost no use), but the weight makes it really hard to yank them open.

Ever since moving into the new place I've been meaning to set up display cabinets in my garage to house my collectibles. With the lockdowns over the last year my I've only just recently managed to get my handyman in to help put my display cabinets due to his huge backlog of jobs.

I didn't want to spend a ton on actual shopfitting cabinets which are too bulky as well. The usual affordable furniture sites didn't yield much to my liking. I wanted something uniformly shaped (no splayed legs) and elevated due to the car parked next to it obscuring the bottom view, which means taller cabinets with shelves going all the way down were not an option.

I had to get hacking. I chose the Ikea Cabinet for its cost and simplicity. The Kmart console table was the exact width, and a little bit shallower.

IMG-8607.jpg

With the legs cut off the Ikea cabinet and only sitting on the kmart console table, they were actually surprisingly stable off the bat. In light of this, only wall anchors were used in the plaster wall without need for studs. Add a $49 led kit with motion sensor and labor costs (including new power point) and I have a decent display for about a grand. Now to find time to unpack the rest of my stuff.

P8vStaG.jpg

5OiOVUg.jpg

Ever since moving into the new place I've been meaning to set up display cabinets in my garage to house my collectibles. With the lockdowns over the last year my I've only just recently managed to get my handyman in to help put my display cabinets due to his huge backlog of jobs.

I didn't want to spend a ton on actual shopfitting cabinets which are too bulky as well. The usual affordable furniture sites didn't yield much to my liking. I wanted something uniformly shaped (no splayed legs) and elevated due to the car parked next to it obscuring the bottom view, which means taller cabinets with shelves going all the way down were not an option.

I had to get hacking. I chose the Ikea Cabinet for its cost and simplicity. The Kmart console table was the exact width, and a little bit shallower.

IMG-8607.jpg

With the legs cut off the Ikea cabinet and only sitting on the kmart console table, they were actually surprisingly stable off the bat. In light of this, only wall anchors were used in the plaster wall without need for studs. Add a $49 led kit with motion sensor and labor costs (including new power point) and I have a decent display for about a grand. Now to find time to unpack the rest of my stuff.

P8vStaG.jpg

5OiOVUg.jpg

looks awesome mate, job well done (y)

IMG-8607.jpg

P8vStaG.jpg

5OiOVUg.jpg

I love IKEA hacks

Nice work!

Careful.... sometimes IKEA product quality is completely BS!!!! and RIPOFF!!!
Not going to disagree there; you do get what you pay for and I’ve had some stinkers before.

I took a chance on these cabinets because there were very little equivalents on the market and for the most part when I was putting them together the quality was more than decent (fitment, tolerance etc). There was this one leg on one cabinet where I could not screw in the leveller foot more than halfway but figured it didn’t matter since it was being cut off.

Not going to disagree there; you do get what you pay for and I’ve had some stinkers before...
Maybe, but given how many millions (?) of units IKEA churn out, it's actually fairly astonishing to see how accurately their components are made. The only gripe I have about IKEA is the fact that EVERYTHING is made to their own scale, specifically designed not to fit with anything else. If you happen to find another component that fits well, I'm sure it's completely accidental and IKEA will take steps to rectify it.

Maybe, but given how many millions (?) of units IKEA churn out, it's actually fairly astonishing to see how accurately their components are made. The only gripe I have about IKEA is the fact that EVERYTHING is made to their own scale, specifically designed not to fit with anything else. If you happen to find another component that fits well, I'm sure it's completely accidental and IKEA will take steps to rectify it.

There are more unique parts and fittings they use like shelf posts or non standard screw sizes but for the most part I think the flat pack nature of their items lend well to customisation as evident by prolific ikea hacks and the 3rd party companies that have popped up to cater to them.

And I think no one else offers a generous return policy of 365 days like they do, even if you’ve assembled the furniture. There’ve been a few times where I’ve bought stuff, assembled, only to find it doesn’t fit the idea I had in my head. Off back they went for refunds with no dramas.

I’ve been buying ikea since being an international student living in Sydney 21years ago. The quality today is a marked step up. Eg. The Billy bookcase of today is miles better than what it was back then.

... The quality today is a marked step up. Eg. The Billy bookcase of today is miles better than what it was back then.

But remember ...

I'd heard a while back that Morris, one of the original stalwarts of the Australian wine industry, was pivoting from bulk cheap fortified wines to high end varieties utilising their old vines and also whisky. I'd not seen it around but then they started popping up on FB. Rather than a full bottle I got this sampler - very well presented (that might be where the money goes) and would possibly make a great gift, if they taste OK!

6YQq6xQl.jpg

dpOOLKbl.jpg

EDIT: looking to buy? https://www.morriswhisky.com/collections/shop-all/products/morris-whisky-50ml-duo-pack

Last edited:
I'd heard a while back that Morris, one of the original stalwarts of the Australian wine industry, was pivoting from bulk cheap fortified wines to high end varieties utilising their old vines and also whisky. I'd not seen it around but then they started popping up on FB. Rather than a full bottle I got this sampler - very well presented (that might be where the money goes) and would possibly make a great gift, if they taste OK!

6YQq6xQl.jpg

dpOOLKbl.jpg

EDIT: looking to buy? https://www.morriswhisky.com/collections/shop-all/products/morris-whisky-50ml-duo-pack
It’s a solid whisky.

Dents Shaftesbury Touchscreen Leather Gloves

8VNy9Mbl.jpg

Pediwear in the UK is having a closing down sale. Decent prices on shoes, but I have enough. I was looking at these at the Australian Dent's site and $239 - ouch. Much more affordable here and SOOOO nice to slip on
Dent's gloves are expensive because they are seriously good. (y) After 270 years, they've had a bit of practice. I bought a pair for my wife 30 years ago, and they are still good as new. I want a pair of these for myself. Surprised to see those packaged in plastic though, they used to give you a presentation box.
Pommies gloves
And your point?

Dent's gloves are expensive because they are seriously good. (y) After 270 years, they've had a bit of practice. I bought a pair for my wife 30 years ago, and they are still good as new. I want a pair of these for myself. Surprised to see those packaged in plastic though, they used to give you a presentation box.

And your point?

You chopped off the URL when copying it! Which ones - https://au.dentsgloves.com/collections/mens-shorter-finger-gloves

They are seriously nice gloves, very tempted to get a second pair as a spare ...