I'm about to give up on the fat

As others have said, there are plenty of top shelf soaps so for me, I couldn't be bothered working with difficult soaps. I still have MWF so I will continue to use it but only when I could be bothered.

@thisISjoel I have no issue at all using MWF either soft or hard water, when using a boar brush soak it in warm or cold water for about 5 or 6 minutes (yes I'm a cold water shaver) :)

Don't squeeze the water from your boar brush just shake it a few times while the boar is still damp wet, and grab a DRY puck of MWF and add a few drops of water on top of the puck, and then load the brush like you hate the living bastard crap out of MWF for 40 or 45 seconds means you need MORE soap until you've got heap of soap on you're boar brush. Gently wet your face with more water not too much and load the brush to your face for about 20 to 25 seconds in normal relax speed not fast, and then add a some drop of water to you're brush and keep on loading to your face for about another 15 or 25 seconds you should be able to noticed while watching because the lather will start to explode.

Keep adding a drop of water to your brush and keep building up your lather for another 15 to 20 seconds in normal relax speed until you've got HEAPS of lather, and remember don't over kill MWF with too much water otherwise it will start to dissipates very quickly on your face. MWF is very clever keeping the right amount of water while building up the lather and it does take time to LEARN MWF until you get it right doesn't matter if you have soft to very hard water, because I can still used MWF either warm or cold water and it still an amazing soap to have trouble is it does take a while to learn to understand how MWF works just keep trying and DON'T give up.

My 2 cents worth - I struggle with MWF. It works great when I get it right, but a lot of fannying around to get there. Speedy's note above (similar to Busta's) is something I've tried and it does help. However, I have Haslinger Schafmilch, which has equivalent performance, a slightly nicer scent (IMO), and is a breeze to lather.

The fact you have to treat it as a shave stick or it won't work, says a lot. Like I said, too finicky. I've never had bad lather from any decent soap, even the cheapies like Proraso, and I'm pretty fussy about getting good lather...
Fair enough. I see this problem in reverse as I find shave sticks a much easier, quicker and more consistent method than swirling on a puck wondering whether you have loaded enough product and / or water.

Just rub on face until it won't take anymore, lather with a wet brush and add water as required. I realise I'm in the minority on this but I find the traditional method, as I still use for croaps, far less reliable and far more finicky...

My 2 cents worth - I struggle with MWF. It works great when I get it right, but a lot of fannying around to get there. Speedy's note above (similar to Busta's) is something I've tried and it does help. However, I have Haslinger Schafmilch, which has equivalent performance, a slightly nicer scent (IMO), and is a breeze to lather.

Speaking of Busta's thanks for reminding me @TomG

Never had an issue lathering MWF myself but if it's not working for you just move it on and try something else. Plenty of other soaps around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never had an issue lathering MWF myself but if it's not working for you just move it on and try something else. Plenty of other soaps around.

Yep, I think that's the plan. I'm drying the puck out, look for it on the BST soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I think that's the plan. I'm drying the puck out, look for it on the BST soon.

@thisISjoel give MWF a chance because every shaving has a different set of rules to play because the don't all load up the same way as every other soaps on the market, please try and give MWF a chance you'll love it.

@thisISjoel give MWF a chance because every shaving has a different set of rules to play because the don't all load up the same way as every other soaps on the market, please try and give MWF a chance you'll love it.

Speedy, mate I've given it a red hot go. Different brushes, bowl, face, palm lathers, I can't make it work. I'd rather give someone else the chance to try it/get my hands on something different to try.

Speedy, mate I've given it a red hot go. Different brushes, bowl, face, palm lathers, I can't make it work. I'd rather give someone else the chance to try it/get my hands on something different to try.

t23145.gif

Joel,bring it to the next meetup,you will probably sell it for near full price,or swap it.
Life is too short,and there are too many great alternatives.

FFS, we're shaving, not baking a fucking cake, right?
Fuck right on off with these fucking formulas just to get a product to work to any degree.
As others have reiterated, life's far too short for under performing products, even if they're miracle workers for everyone else!
I can't stand products like that!

Fuck right on off with these fucking formulas just to get a product to work to any degree.
As others have reiterated, life's far too short for under performing products, even if they're miracle workers for everyone else!

Whilst I tend to agree with you I don't think anything said here really warrants that sort of response. It is just shaving mate. Relax.

@borked IMO their are many wet shavers out there I would say 60% loves MWF who can lather without any bloody issue, and 40% still complain about it and can't get enough lather to work with MWF regardless of soft to very hard water or even the type of shaving brush they've used.

All I'm saying is some have enough bare balls to fully understand how MWF works, and some don't have enough bare balls to even try and understand MWF and they've just give up.
How many times have you're parents, teachers and coaches say keep on trying and it will get better in the end unless you try.

Beside the original MWF formula dated in 1893 is the date for the original Yorkshire formula of wool fat soap, and when Fred Mitchell started producing MWF in the early 1930's because the MWF ingredients were not know in 1893 and the formula never change.

Last edited:
Yes it's just shaving but this is a shaving forum. If the people who can make a favourite soap work for them blindfolded under any circumstances can't make suggestions to those who can't get it right, then WTF are we all doing here?

That's what a forum is for innit? We exchange ideas so we all become better? If something doesn't work the way I would normally use it, then I would like to know how to successfully use it before throwing my toys out of the cot... I would have given up on boar brushes straight away if someone didn't tell me they need a pre soak.

If the Fat was just an average soap then no-one would care. The reality is that it is one of the easiest soaps to use when done right and the results are up there with the best for very many people. If any product is worth taking the time to learn how to use it's this one...

Whilst I tend to agree with you I don't think anything said here really warrants that sort of response. It is just shaving mate. Relax.
I should make it clear that it's not aimed at any one person, in case anyone has taken unintended offence, it is a general rant regarding shitty products.
I just can't tolerate under performing products and folks supporting them, to the detriment of other products which almost universally work.
We lose good products with reformulated items and businesses fold for various reasons, when they're the products and businesses that need our support, both for their and our own selfish reasons.
Col Conk, Crabtree & Evelyn, Williams, AOS, Penhaligons, Geo F Trumper, all examples of companies that don't deserve a foothold in the current market, yet do so, at the expense of products from the likes of @Anthony which the largest qualm I've seen are scent preferences or his constant pursuit to improve his formula and advising customers of as such with the version of his soap.

Mate, let me ask of you this.
How many more adults, do you think would stick with traditional wet shaving, if the likes of those under performing products which are likely their first and only experience didn't exist, and they tried a true artisan or product that almost universally worked?
It's an issue that I've noted when trying to introduce/encourage adults to pursue this and advise them to try several items before quitting, even loaning items from my own collection, so they've a better chance of it working out for them.

@borked IMO their are many wet shavers out there I would say 60% loves MWF who can lather without any bloody issue, and 40% still complain about it and can't get enough lather to work with MWF regardless of soft to very hard water or even the type of shaving brush they've used.

All I'm saying is some have enough bare balls to fully understand how MWF works, and some don't have enough bare balls to even try and understand MWF and they've just give up.
How many times have you're parents, teachers and coaches say keep on trying and it will get better in the end unless you try.

Beside the original MWF formula dated in 1893 is the date for the original Yorkshire formula of wool fat soap, and when Fred Mitchell started producing MWF in the early 1930's because the MWF ingredients were not know in 1893 and the formula never change.
Four in every ten experience issues with MWF, yet that's acceptable for a long established item, where performance is god and price is king?
Not a direct nor fair comparison I realise, yet would you be happy with 4 in 10 attempts at your income being paid to you failing?
Let's look at that as 4/10 shaves fail, or 146 shaves a year if shaving daily.
Is that a reasonable number?
I'm pissed if I have 10% of that number annually, particularly as they tend to happen just before a meet up!

As for trying and failing, I've been trying and failing at something since pre-teens, yet others view the pursuit as success alone, with the results an end game achievement, so I've the testicular fortitude that you mention.
Despite all of this, I would still give both MW and MWF a go, since I've not tried either, yet if they don't work for other, the tolerance for bad performance is already diminished.

BTW, sometimes change is acceptable, alas we would still be eating, drinking and covering ourselves with deadly substances like asbestos and lead!
Maybe it's time MWF considered a modern version of their product, if it actually improves it's performance across a wider range of potential users?