I'm about to give up on the fat

Maybe it's time MWF considered a modern version of their product, if it actually improves it's performance across a wider range of potential users?
Why? It's a very well liked product. Just because there are some who don't like it or can't get it to lather doesn't mean it requires a reformulation. It presumably makes a profit for Mitchell's, its cheap enough at under $20.00 a puck, lasts forever due to the triple milling, is very highly regard by many users and has a very neutral scent.
Just because a product is not liked by some doesn't mean it needs changing. It just means that everyone's tastes and requirements are different.
And maybe you should actually try it before suggesting a reformulation, you might you like it.

Let's knock off the condescending language.

As already well stated, MWF is a pig of a product for many people, and it's nothing to do with their skill or experience. That's not opinion, it's a well trodden fact on forums over the world. If others wants to persist with it, due to clearly mythical properties this difficulty unlocks, that's their time and money.

Bagging people who choose to pass it over, is not on.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on many levels here (and agree in many others)

I personally think, there are too many rubbish lathering tutorials and so called experts out there - that's the real problem.

I have seen so much crap lather and so many BS methods on how to get the above...it is simply mind boggling.

You can get a fantastic lather out of the Fat and many other so called difficult products - you just have to do it the right way.

Start with a damp brush, load on the puck, add a couple drops of water to the puck or brush as soon as nothing happens.

Continue, until you have fantastic glossy lather. If this method does not work - your soap is not a shaving soap - else it works - and it definitely works with the Fat.

Everything else is either a case of misguidance (see above about experts), impatience (too much water to quickly), stinginess (not enough product) or a mixture of the above.

And yes, I love Pork-Chops :D

I've never had an issue lathering MWF, but I honesty don't know why it has such a following. I could happily live without it.
For those that struggle with it, move on as there are two many products out there to persist with one that doesn't work for you.

50aaNBO.png

Sorry, but I have to disagree on many levels here (and agree in many others)

I personally think, there are too many rubbish lathering tutorials and so called experts out there - that's the real problem.

I have seen so much crap lather and so many BS methods on how to get the above...it is simply mind boggling.

You can get a fantastic lather out of the Fat and many other so called difficult products - you just have to do it the right way.

Start with a damp brush, load on the puck, add a couple drops of water to the puck or brush as soon as nothing happens.

Continue, until you have fantastic glossy lather. If this method does not work - your soap is not a shaving soap - else it works - and it definitely works with the Fat.

Everything else is either a case of misguidance (see above about experts), impatience (too much water to quickly), stinginess (not enough product) or a mixture of the above.

And yes, I love Pork-Chops :D

Go on mate - tell us what you REALLY think ...

Talk about making mountains from molehills. I'm 100% in agreement with what @alfredus had to say - no point reiterating it.

I would add one (hopefully helpful) observation though : every other part of wet shaving, be it with DE, Straight or Kamisori, requires the development of a basic level of skill. Why should creating a great lather be exempt from that? Any skill you develop in mastering a particular soap is going to be useful with or directly transferable to other soaps - so it definitely isn't wasted time.

And to those of you (you know who you are) who have used this thread to be condescending, rude or judgemental of others - shame on you! This place is supposed to be about exchanging knowledge, helping others and sharing - not a forum for taking cheap shots, starting pointless arguments or dick waving. A bit more tolerance of differences and a more giving attitude would go a long way to making this a better place to be.

'Nuff said..

FFS, we're shaving, not baking a fucking cake, right?
Fuck right on off with these fucking formulas just to get a product to work to any degree.
As others have reiterated, life's far too short for under performing products, even if they're miracle workers for everyone else!
I can't stand products like that!

Ouch.

What a pork chopping, you really drubbed that into them!

I would add one (hopefully helpful) observation though : every other part of wet shaving, be it with DE, Straight or Kamisori, requires the development of a basic level of skill. Why should creating a great lather be exempt from that? Any skill you develop in mastering a particular soap is going to be useful with or directly transferable to other soaps - so it definitely isn't wasted time.

Soap is chemistry, chemistry requires a formula.. in this case emulsification so I agree with both you and @alfredus absolutely :)

@Anthony Hunter I've tried The Conk.
It's urilised as a brush break in soap only these days.

@SpeedyPC you're in Sydney, right?
If yes I can loan a used or trade a new puck

@Nightguard vintage or modern?
Perhaps due to an estimsted 4 in 10 experience diffoculties with it, is reason enough?

@Drubbing if the condescending remark is aimed at me, I apologise to anyone who mistook my comments that way and felt it was aimed at them.
It was not intended upon an emotional level, only purely factual based and aimed at the product itself.

@alfredus how much time are you investing ij builsing a lather?
What is a reasonable amount of time?
To me, if a soap requires special treatment, considerations and time in excess compared to others that just work, it is a sub par product.

Ouch.

What a pork chopping, you really drubbed that into them!
One of the greatest assets of here, is the ability to speak with a lot more freedom tha other forums.
I've stated what I have with passion, as we all deserve a quality, fuss free shave and sub par products should be called out dotr whayr they are.
I accept that some members have minimal to nil issues in getting MWF to work for them, which is a positive for them, yet fail to appreciate why we collectively would support a product that doesn't for a large nymtber of those that try it, when doing so only encourages mediocrity.
Is that not the reason we've left cartridges behind and chose this shave lifestyle?

Being enthusiastic is fine. But for those who love this product, you are NOT going to convert others who have been there done that.

Most members here are experienced and MWF is well known for its inconsistent results, so inferences that people just have to work harder, can get personal, and some people have. Which isn't fine.

@SpeedyPC you're in Sydney, right?
If yes I can loan a used or trade a new puck

@borked do you have MWF and IF not pm my your full name, address and mobile # and I'll send you a brand new puck of MWF for free of charge without postage cost or any trade offer is not required is you're for free.

PS. IF I've broken my Sabbatical P&C rule of conduct then I fully accept my fail.

Last edited: