I'm about to give up on the fat

@alfredus how much time are you investing ij builsing a lather?
What is a reasonable amount of time?
To me, if a soap requires special treatment, considerations and time in excess compared to others that just work, it is a sub par product.
This is a very interesting question @borked - one I wanted to address in my last post, but it was too late, so here it goes:

Usually, this is a question, that can be only answered by you individually...but the problem is it generally works only well, after you put in the effort/time etc.

Once you shaved with the perfect lather from the Fat - you can as @ben74 pointed out, state that you can happily live without it (I actually tend to agree with this statement). But before experiencing such a lather, you can only assume, but can never be sure...

How much effort is it worth to learn a new language, a new lick on your guitar, how to perfectly extract a new bean with a new coffe machine, learn a new sport, etc etc etc

And now to the rant part - what really throws me off: this is a wet shaving forum - yes?

But we have some members here, who are more than happy to give negative comments about everything wet shaving related (unless it is their super special and exact setup), yet have no issues happily discussing how to spend 100s if not 1000s of $$$ on what to wear, drink, play...but if somebody post a picture if a cool new brush...

Should be somehow the other way around on this forum one might think?

Maybe there's some subtext going on here that I'm missing, but I'm really not sure where any of the angst seems to be coming from. MWF is a notoriously difficult to lather soap for many people, but it also has the reputation for being a really great soap for those it does work for.

If it works for you, awesome! Have great shaves! If it doesn't work for you, luckily enough there is a plethora of talented artisans putting out more amazing soaps than most of us will ever get around to trying. Have great shaves!

Use what works, flip what doesn't, happy shaving :)

The issue I see is that if someone finds other people are having trouble with their favourite soap, when they find it so easy to use (in my case I have had inconsistent lathers from Shaver Heaven Tallow v3 but never MWF) then it is only natural, on a shaving forum, for them to make suggestions so others (including lurkers) can share how well it works for them.

That is not being condescending - it is just trying to be helpful. I have been appreciative of the help I have received on this forum that eventually let me use the soft soaps I have had trouble with (because I had to load them out of a tub and wasn't doing that right). I've never told anyone who was trying to help me to stop being condescending. If MWF wasn't a fantastic product it wouldn't have lasted in the market anywhere near this long - far longer than so many others that have fallen by the wayside. Just because some people clearly aren't using it correctly doesn't make it a bad product or worth rubbishing to others.

MWF works for me everywhere my other soaps work.

The only place none of my soaps work is the "no soap land"...areas in India where submersible water is used. In this case, I use RO or bottled water with perfect results.

I use the same method for all my soaps...lightly shake out excess water from boar brush until it stops dripping. I then swirl on the soap until I get a somewhat thick lather and then I face lather to thicken it up. Perfect results each and every time.

MWF for me works as easy as any other soaps and has been my #1 soap for the last 9 years (along with LEA classic tallow formula).

Even mystic water gave me trouble at first but now I use the above method and achieve top notch, luxurious lather.

If any soap doesn't work, I would first suggest using bottled water. After that, try as a shave stick. After that, try building the lather directly on the puck (adding drops of water while lathering). These methods really test out the variables of water, technique and product. If all fail, move on to a different product.

And to those of you (you know who you are) who have used this thread to be condescending, rude or judgemental of others - shame on you! This place is supposed to be about exchanging knowledge, helping others and sharing - not a forum for taking cheap shots, starting pointless arguments or dick waving. A bit more tolerance of differences and a more giving attitude would go a long way to making this a better place to be.

'Nuff said..
If that is aimed at me, I reiterate that my comments are based upon third party experiences, or if you will, facts, and directly aimed at the product only, rather than users.emotionally driven comments taking aim at the products users.
I will repeat that it is a positive that others are able to get this to work for them, whereas others, aren't and that I've not tried it!

Yes, but with greater freedom comes greater responsibility. Responsibility to deal politely, positively and helpfully with others, particularly when they call out for help or advice.
That is true and there are many sharing their positive and not so positive experiences thus far.
I don't think anyone is judging OP for their experience with MWF, or at least hope that's not the case.

Most members here are experienced and MWF is well known for its inconsistent results, so inferences that people just have to work harder, can get personal, and some people have. Which isn't fine.
Not too sure where the work harder comment is coming from.

@borked do you have MWF and IF not pm my your full name, address and mobile # and I'll send you a brand new puck of MWF for free of charge without postage cost or any trade offer is not required is you're for free.

PS. IF I've broken my Sabbatical P&C rule of conduct then I fully accept my fail.
Mate, in no way am I allowing you to blow your sabbatical efforts over something as trivial as this.
If you don't mind loaning me a puck, I've a puck of Amber Col Conk that you can give a spin too :)

This is a very interesting question @borked - one I wanted to address in my last post, but it was too late, so here it goes:

Usually, this is a question, that can be only answered by you individually...but the problem is it generally works only well, after you put in the effort/time etc.

Once you shaved with the perfect lather from the Fat - you can as @ben74 pointed out, state that you can happily live without it (I actually tend to agree with this statement). But before experiencing such a lather, you can only assume, but can never be sure...

How much effort is it worth to learn a new language, a new lick on your guitar, how to perfectly extract a new bean with a new coffe machine, learn a new sport, etc etc etc

And now to the rant part - what really throws me off: this is a wet shaving forum - yes?

But we have some members here, who are more than happy to give negative comments about everything wet shaving related (unless it is their super special and exact setup), yet have no issues happily discussing how to spend 100s if not 1000s of $$$ on what to wear, drink, play...but if somebody post a picture if a cool new brush...

Should be somehow the other way around on this forum one might think?]
Indeed it is very much a variable that depends upon the user.
Yet if the reason for using a product, is exclusively to chase unicorns, is that not an exercise of futility?
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
Some challenges, like straights, are indeed a skill worth chasing, as it is something that transfers over to a broad range of items, seeking that from a singular item though, to me at least, is time better invested elsewhere.
The potential dividends don't appear to justify the investment in time required, when this is easily attainable elsewhere.

An important part is revision of something as your skills and techniques evolve, which is why I've returned to try prior products that didn't work or resulted in the worse reaction and experience from a product since starting this.
I'm open to my limitations and seek to address them.

Yes and you probably note that I rarely post to the SOTD post, that's one reason why :)

Maybe there's some subtext going on here that I'm missing, but I'm really not sure where any of the angst seems to be coming from. MWF is a notoriously difficult to lather soap for many people, but it also has the reputation for being a really great soap for those it does work for.

If it works for you, awesome! Have great shaves! If it doesn't work for you, luckily enough there is a plethora of talented artisans putting out more amazing soaps than most of us will ever get around to trying. Have great shaves!

Use what works, flip what doesn't, happy shaving :)
[/QUOTE]

I feel that some have taken comments from me personally when that's anything but my intention.
Perspective can easily be misconstrued with text only, I'm human and susceptible to it equally, so trying to explain my perspective, yet get the feeling that I'm only digging a deeper hole, despite respecting the other members enough to try and do so.
Ahh well, I've tried, all I can do, right?

Mate, in no way am I allowing you to blow your sabbatical efforts over something as trivial as this.
If you don't mind loaning me a puck, I've a puck of Amber Col Conk that you can give a spin too

@borked don't worry about me as a Mason who's entitled to give you something special for free and I wanted you to accept my offer ;)

Last edited:
Surely we can all agree that Arko is rubbish? :p Sorry lads, didn't mean to open a can of worms!
Scent wise, it's most certainly polarising, yet at least from all reports I get, it lathers with ease.

@thisISjoel did you have any luck with MWF after taking on board the advice of fellow members?

I had a glorious lather today from MWF and remembered this thread whilst I was shaving.

I would love for you to experience what I experienced today (and basically every time I use MWF).

@thisISjoel did you have any luck with MWF after taking on board the advice of fellow members?

I had a glorious lather today from MWF and remembered this thread whilst I was shaving.

I would love for you to experience what I experienced today (and basically every time I use MWF).

I actually tried demineralised water with the fat yesterday and got a pretty good lather out of it. Not the best lather of my life by any stretch, but still pretty good. Good enough that I'll go back to it again and try to dial it in a bit better.

I think besides the fantastic performance (may be my Canberra water too) the thing I love about the fat is that the scent comes across very neutral, sure heavily perfumed soaps are great but if i where to resign to one soap for the rest of my life, of the things I have tried, it would be Mitchell's (much better than haslinger too)

You are free to disagree with me, but you will be wrong :)

I actually tried demineralised water with the fat yesterday and got a pretty good lather out of it. Not the best lather of my life by any stretch, but still pretty good. Good enough that I'll go back to it again and try to dial it in a bit better.

Sweet! Once you dial it in, you're going to love it!!

I think besides the fantastic performance (may be my Canberra water too) the thing I love about the fat is that the scent comes across very neutral, sure heavily perfumed soaps are great but if i where to resign to one soap for the rest of my life, of the things I have tried, it would be Mitchell's (much better than haslinger too)

You are free to disagree with me, but you will be wrong :)

You're right! The subtle but beautiful scent is what caused my "love at first sniff"!

Then came the performance and to top it off, the uniquely awesome post shave feel.

No wonder its been my #1 soap since i discovered it ten years ago and has remained there throughout usage of over 100 unique soaps (not just different scents).

Sweet! Once you dial it in, you're going to love it!!

You're right! The subtle but beautiful scent is what caused my "love at first sniff"!

Then came the performance and to top it off, the uniquely awesome post shave feel.

No wonder its been my #1 soap since i discovered it ten years ago and has remained there throughout usage of over 100 unique soaps (not just different scents).
Exactly, for me it's nice to visit other soaps but MWF is home.
Honestly I'd love our locals to do a similar sort of thing but it seems heavily perfumed things are in vogue currently

Last edited:
Exactly, for me it's nice to visit other soaps but MWF is home.
Honestly I'd love our locals to do a similar sort of thing but it seems heavily perfumed things are in vogue currently

I like variety and shaving soaps are my hobby but nothing beats MWF on performance and post shave.

i wish MWF came in different scents! The day they release a line of scents will be a great day for all MWF users! In fact, I'm stunned they haven't released more scents given most people buy multiple scents of soaps they like... What a massive opportunity cost!

I like variety and shaving soaps are my hobby but nothing beats MWF on performance and post shave.

i wish MWF came in different scents! The day they release a line of scents will be a great day for all MWF users! In fact, I'm stunned they haven't released more scents given most people buy multiple scents of soaps they like... What a massive opportunity cost!
True but I will say I don't look for scent from my soaps generally as the scent just won't last so I'm finding myself more in favour of light or no scent rather than risking irritation.
Thus generally isn't a problem for me but there are a few out there that my skin just won't take.

I like MWF, but I find that it dries on my face. Even if I do one side at a time, it is hardening before I am finished.

Maybe it is the angry Italian blood running beneath...

I still use it on occasion. It is a nice, neutral scent as others have said.

I like MWF, but I find that it dries on my face. Even if I do one side at a time, it is hardening before I am finished.

Maybe it is the angry Italian blood running beneath...

I still use it on occasion. It is a nice, neutral scent as others have said.
I found the same initially but it's ability to hold water is quite good, I mucked around with just adding more and more water.