July 2013 Member Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr626

ARKO! TERMINATOR!
Welcome to July.

I have just placed a bestshave.net order for a whole bunch of soaps, blades and creams. Looking forward to trying some new items.

(as an aside, placing the order and the paypal conversion to USD made me realise how much the $AUD has fallen recently. Ouch).

Anything exciting on the way for you?

Last edited:
I made a recent order for some cold mornings, rain and fog.

I think it's arrived already.

I made a recent order for some cold mornings, rain and fog.

I think it's arrived already.

I know begging is not condoned on this forum, but could you please PIF some of that this way?

We had clouds on Monday which looked like they might bring rain, instead they just brought a minimum temperature of 25.5C in the middle of winter!

I know begging is not condoned on this forum, but could you please PIF some of that this way?

You can have all that I've got. snow to 400m on the weekend, 30mm of rain in two days, 1-2°C overnight for the last few nights.It's currently a balmy 7°C.

Maybe we need a trade, or is some warm wather the extra goodies you've sent me?

You can have all that I've got. snow to 400m on the weekend, 30mm of rain in two days, 1-2°C overnight for the last few nights.It's currently a balmy 7°C.

Maybe we need a trade, or is some warm wather the extra goodies you've sent me?

Honestly, I don't mind that kind of weather too much. It's the heat that kills me.

Back on track- I also have a couple of Gillette 'The New' on the way. One is a user grade one that I will 'restore' by polishing away what little plating is left to reveal the copper beneath (which is actually red brass, from what I understand).

The other is this rather handsome number (thanks Mark):

You can have all that I've got. snow to 400m on the weekend, 30mm of rain in two days, 1-2°C overnight for the last few nights.It's currently a balmy 7°C.?

We would love some of that. But you can have it back after a long weekend, ok?
As to the other, I just hope it makes up for how long it has taken me to send them.

Man did that flu knock me around, I didn't even bother shaving for 2 weeks.

........Man did that flu knock me around, I didn't even bother shaving for 2 weeks.

What is it with peeps on this forum. A bit of adversity or any other lousy excuse and they stop shaving and start crapping on about beards and moustaches. It's simply not right. I'm sure you would have snapped out of your manflu a lot quicker if you'd had a shave or two. It being manflu it's all inside your head anyway (or so my better half tells me).

Back on topic.....

I have made a couple of acquisitions this month - a rare event nowadays.

The first is 'just' a postcard, or Postal Card to be more correct -

So what you say? The keen eyed will have noticed the location, South Boston Station, and possibly have worked out the date, 25 August 1905. Wow, so it is an old Postal Card, but who is Mr C.S. Burrall and why should you care? The rear gives more details -

It is a confirmation from the Gillette Safety Razor Company that they are sending to him separately 6 new blades in return for the 12 he had returned to them.

Pretty neat I thought!

That's very cool Mark. Always interesting to find a piece of history.

That's very cool Mark. Always interesting to find a piece of history.

I think so. Not sure if anybody else has one - I've not seen one before.

I was curious about the 'Fire Insurance' phrase on the address so I started to research. Typed in C S Burrall to Google and what pops out? C.S. Burrall & Son, Inc - Insurance Agents located in Geneva NY!

I've emailed them with a copy of the card sent to their forebear.

Last edited:
"Thanking you for your patronage, we beg to remain, very truly yours."

Folks don't write like this anymore!

Nice find Mark.

"Thanking you for your patronage, we beg to remain, very truly yours."

Folks don't write like this anymore!

Nice find Mark.

Thanks mate. It is kinda cool you certainly don't get responses like that from companies now!

Here is a better link for the C. S. Burrall and Son, Inc insurance company in Geneva.

It seems that they are celebrating their 184th anniversary this year and if you go to that site you can see a picture of Charles S Burrall - the recipient of the blades!

Two packs of these arrived yesterday.
$T2eC16ZHJHUFFfi2!ElCBRl(nVup7g~~60_12.JPG

Not quite the bargain I thought they were as postage from the US was quite steep and I placed the bid before I realised this. Hopefully they are similar in quality to the other vintage blades.

After a tip off from eggbert (thanks matey!) I put a fairly low bid on these and much to my surprise I managed to win. My cut off was $1/blade which (with a cheaper postage option of $17) is what I managed to get them for. US buyers could have out bid me and still have had them delivered for 60c/blade which is a bargain. I wonder if the fact that the top of the cardboard backing was cut off has anything to do with it.

Vintage Schick Plus Platinum Razor Blade LOT 30 Blades IN Total | eBay

After a tip off from eggbert (thanks matey!) I put a fairly low bid on these and much to my surprise I managed to win. My cut off was $1/blade which (with a cheaper postage option of $17) is what I managed to get them for. US buyers could have out bid me and still have had them delivered for 60c/blade which is a bargain. I wonder if the fact that the top of the cardboard backing was cut off has anything to do with it.

Vintage Schick Plus Platinum Razor Blade LOT 30 Blades IN Total | eBay

So you were the person who outbid me on these!

I would be claiming that $1.27 back off Mark if I were you Pjotr

Yeah, I out bid Mark apparently. There aren't many around who can lay claim to that!

Last edited:
Yeah, I out bid Mark apparently. There aren't many around who can lay claim to that!

Actually you would be surprised how many can claim this - I lose more than I win!

Status
Not open for further replies.