Lather Shots

I'm on the same boat. I'm doing it to break in my new SOC. You are not alone.

So I should be pretending to break in this soap huh?

OK - will remember that ;)

642bdb26cbc1d70f303a93ec631fbaf2.jpg

So @Mark1966 wouldn't feel alone. I've done the same.

5cc0ce1063fa260575300f3eccaac637.jpg

Great thick but slick lather. Big big bubbles. Didn't had to add a lot of water, the Chubbeast holds a fair bit. I didn't totally wring it dry to load the puck, I find it better this way.

11121b7273911f2f782aa659769079a1.jpg

Slick and evenly coated. Too bad it's going down the drain. Will replicate this result for next save.

I also spent a long time loading the brush. The Chubbeast sure needs a lot a lot.

Confession. This is the second time I lathered. I chucked the first result away to redo again. Added too much water. Lather collapsed and it felt too watery. @Mark1966, feeling better now?

Soap: DR Harris Lavender
Brush: The Chubbeast

Phew!

Thanks @silver - for a while there I thought I was one of those internet weirdos that @eggbert talks about ... :)

@Mark1966 please don't despair - you are more than welcome to join the local Adelaide chapter of LA - but I'm sure you are not alone in Canberra either :LOL:

We are very helpful to our fellow lather addicts - @bald as even invited me over to lather one whole afternoon without a razor being in site :whistle:

I sometimes hear people asking how long I load to get such a lather - well that much:
20160319_RVShavemacMikes_LoadedS_zps3slqaag8.jpg

And as a thank you the brush then gives:
20160319_RVShavemacMikes_LatheredS_zpslomawxli.jpg

Sorry, I had to use it today - but maybe tomorrow I do just some lathering :D

@Mark1966 please don't despair - you are more than welcome to join the local Adelaide chapter of LA - but I'm sure you are not alone in Canberra either[emoji38]
We are very helpful to our fellow lather addicts - @bald as even invited me over to lather one whole afternoon without a razor being in site :whistle:

I sometimes hear people asking how long I load to get such a lather - well that much:
20160319_RVShavemacMikes_LoadedS_zps3slqaag8.jpg

And as a thank you the brush then gives:
20160319_RVShavemacMikes_LatheredS_zpslomawxli.jpg

Sorry, I had to use it today - but maybe tomorrow I do just some lathering :D
Good stuff @alfredus you do load with a dry puck. Not much foam oozing out of the can. But this way gives a better view of whether the brush is fully loaded or not. I will give it a try. Love this thread.

Actually I bloom the puck these days and then use that bloom water to later build the lather...I just load a lot :D

Good stuff @alfredus you do load with a dry puck.

Then slowly add water until it glistens. Too much water to begin with and all you really get is bubbles which will almost always lead to inconsistent lather. If you find it hard to gauge the amount of water to add, load your brush and create a practice lather in your hand. You want the fingers to slide with a small amount of pressure and the lather to be peaky like a meringue but glistening like freshly scooped yogurt. But don't eat the lather.

Then slowly add water until it glistens. Too much water to begin with and all you really get is bubbles which will almost always lead to inconsistent lather. If you find it hard to gauge the amount of water to add, load your brush and create a practice lather in your hand. You want the fingers to slide with a small amount of pressure and the lather to be peaky like a meringue but glistening like freshly scooped yogurt. But don't eat the lather.
Awesome! Thanks for this tip. I'm definitely getting there. Slowly but surely. Thanks again for these tips.
But... Really can't eat the lather?

Second time today I've lathered WITHOUT shaving!

Testing out a 'new' brush is my excuse.

What have you guys done ....

Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson H2 Boar
Soap: D R Harris Marlborough

For more on the brush see here - [Rare] Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Boar

Last edited:
Second time today I've lathered WITHOUT shaving!

Testing out a 'new' brush is my excuse.

What have you guys done ....

Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson H2 Boar
Soap: D R Harris Marlborough

For more on the brush see here - [Rare] Vintage Simpson Butterscotch Boar
I also did another run with my SOC but didn't post it here. Woo hoo I'm not the only one!

I went with @bald as advice, and I must say, it's taking a bit longer but it's a safer route to consistent lather. I'm loving it.

Thought I'd join in on my shave free day and test out how far I could stretch one of the vegan soaps - WSP Amber Vanille. So went about a palm lather, went to a point where I would normally use it, and then keep going. I now know, that I don't give this vegan soap enough credit for how much water it can take and still be stable, thick and slick, without washing out too much. (next time I'll break out the proper camera and resize a bit smaller)

About 5 swishes of water past my usual point

About 15 more on top of the last one

At that point I gave up and washed it away, because I'd never spend that amount of time on a lather in the mornings anyway, but did certainly learn that by using merkur man's method, slow adding, I can push it a lot further than I previously gave credit for.

I have seen the light!

@Mark1966 you have to become a Mason to be able to see the light :p:p;)

I'm talking about the shaving nirvana found in a luxurious lather.

As for the bigger picture well that might be a a face to face discussion rather than a forum post ;)

About 15 more on top of the last one

That lather there, is just magnificent. That soap sure can take in a lot of water. And doing it this way, load dry and load the hell up, I can keep adding water to get that super shiny lather. I do admit it takes time, but that's why I have creams in my arsenal when I need a quicker shave. When I don't, that's when I whip out the soap.

There you go, my valid reason for convincing my misses about my ever growing software.

I'm thinking and maybe @alfredus or @Mark1966 could make an Aussie Youtube clip for P&C remember this clip has to be created by P&C members only, on how to do an Aussie great lather by face, hand & bowl for Aussie wet shavers.

What do you think guys, to me it sound like a great idea ;)