November 2021 SHAVING Acquisitions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a few packages in yesterday.
Samples are Amouage Jubilation XXV and Nasomatto Black Afgano.
FYfyz01.jpg

A few of this month's acquisitions.
Beautiful hefty Grandfather's Wellmann razor kindly PIF'd by @ Balckie.
This beauty has some weight to it. The spine and tang are 6mm wide.
Really looking forward to a clean and polish on the stones because I can tell just by the feel of this razor it is going to be an absolute pleasure to shave with.
YVsKOHq.jpg

I think @TroyTools deserves an enabler of the Month award because every brush he posts I want to buy

Ally
QB7Q5Co.jpg

Brass
IDtM8CJ.jpg

Really looking forward to a clean and polish on the stones because I can tell just by the feel of this razor it is going to be an absolute pleasure to shave with.
YVsKOHq.jpg

I think @TroyTools deserves an enabler of the Month award because every brush he posts I want to buy

Ally
QB7Q5Co.jpg

Brass
IDtM8CJ.jpg
Now I want one.

YVsKOHq.jpg

Ally
QB7Q5Co.jpg

Brass
IDtM8CJ.jpg
Ooof, and I just picked up 2 vintage brass razors myself!
Oh well, back to lathe.:cool:

Seriously though mate, I'm sure they'll bring you many years of service, because they won't break, ever, even if you drop them!

Seriously though mate, I'm sure they'll bring you many years of service, because they won't break, ever, even if you drop them!

Mmmmm, the tiles on the bathroom floor might be expensive though... :unsure::p
Was thinking the same thing myself, although @Blackie razor would give the brass brush a run for its money
The intricate micro steps that Troy put into the curve act like gecko feet to a window 🦎;)

I'm just about to finish a jar of Proraso Green pre-shave so I got a new, larger tub from vshod, and as usual, Samson added a few extras!

As someone who loves cooking and appreciates good knives, I love the idea of a carbon steel blade, but so far I've been disappointed in how they perform. I'm keen to try these in my various razors to see if they suit any of them.

YVsKOHq.jpg

Ally
QB7Q5Co.jpg

Brass
IDtM8CJ.jpg
Congrats @Holiday & @TroyTools as both brushes look amazing!!! Must resist the urge... :eek:o_O:love::wideyed:
+1 for Enabler of the Month nomination from me ;)

hahaha. no bullshit, that did come up in the PM's discussing the brush design. It will break whatever you drop it on, porcelain sink, stone benchtop, floor tiles, feet & toes etc etc (gathered alot of speed by the time it hits your foot)
There's a reason why I rarely use my Alpha BetaHive Copper brush these days as that thing is heavy and I almost dropped it on my foot one time :)

J7suY26.jpeg

With Vector envy in mind I was considering whether to stump up for the titanium instead of waiting for the SS but I decided to go the other way and spend on the Blutt. Then so happen the Raster and Feather blades on wetshavingco were discounted and with an extra discount code I took the plunge on that.

After an agonizing 7 plus weeks of waiting I finally received my Blutt BR-1 with 0.99 plate. It is truly deserving of its swiss made designation and the expectations that it conjures. I can't wait to shave with it.

The Yaqi on the other hand... the head is not the last word in quality. There is a couple of small dots on the finish of the safety bar. A fair amount of play between the top cap and base plate. The divots (which have rough machining) on the top cap for aligning with the nubs are a good 20% bigger which contributes to this. But I guess you get what you pay for. On the plus side, the blade actually sits straight on the base plate and doesn't move, so assembly is just a matter of making sure the top cap is seated straight, which really isn't too hard. Just have to make sure you use a towel to hold the head, as there's not much to hold on to and it's a nasty accident if you slip. Lastly, the rear corners of the head are slightly too rounded, so there you can see the square corners of the ac blade poke out ever so slightly, but not enough to worry me.

J7suY26.jpeg

With Vector envy in mind I was considering whether to stump up for the titanium instead of waiting for the SS but I decided to go the other way and spend on the Blutt. Then so happen the Raster and Feather blades on wetshavingco were discounted and with an extra discount code I took the plunge on that.

After an agonizing 7 plus weeks of waiting I finally received my Blutt BR-1 with 0.99 plate. It is truly deserving of its swiss made designation and the expectations that it conjures. I can't wait to shave with it.

The Yaqi on the other hand... the head is not the last word in quality. There is a couple of small dots on the finish of the safety bar. A fair amount of play between the top cap and base plate. The divots (which have rough machining) on the top cap for aligning with the nubs are a good 20% bigger which contributes to this. But I guess you get what you pay for. On the plus side, the blade actually sits straight on the base plate and doesn't move, so assembly is just a matter of making sure the top cap is seated straight, which really isn't too hard. Just have to make sure you use a towel to hold the head, as there's not much to hold on to and it's a nasty accident if you slip. Lastly, the rear corners of the head are slightly too rounded, so there you can see the square corners of the ac blade poke out ever so slightly, but not enough to worry me.
Oh need to add that the hole of the base plate where the post goes through it also a fair bit bigger than the post. So Yaqi would only have to make either the base plate hole or the top cap holes smaller to minimise play.

Mail Call today - thanks Aramex

IMG-20211126-161903-2.jpg

Omega Evo E1857 Silversynth Brush arrived in a lovely packaging. First impressions are somewhat disappointing as the knot appears to be set uneven so hopefully it can be readjusted in warm water but frankly not what I expected for a $100 item... :banghead:
I was concerned reading some mixed reviews as some QC issues with the knots but I'll see how it goes prior to deciding if I send it back...? :unsure:

Omega Evo E1857 Silversynth Brush arrived in a lovely packaging. First impressions are somewhat disappointing as the knot appears to be set uneven so hopefully it can be readjusted in warm water but frankly not what I expected for a $100 item... :banghead:
I was concerned reading some mixed reviews as some QC issues with the knots but I'll see how it goes prior to deciding if I send it back...? :unsure:
Glad I didn't order the Omega Evo brush, because, of too many mixed reviews and I'm looking forward to your feedback @Razor Burn :ROFLMAO:

J7suY26.jpeg

That Blutt is a real TOB. If I were still into DEs, that would be right at the top of my shopping list, and sabbatical be damned. (y) Not so the Raster - I'm not sure that I recall anyone saying a good word about it. Copying the general notion of the Vector is not the same as cloning it. For that, they would have to actually take some measurements. :rolleyes:

Quite often the band is crooked even when the knot is set straight. Either way, not a good look.

That Blutt is a real TOB. If I were still into DEs, that would be right at the top of my shopping list, and sabbatical be damned. (y) Not so the Raster - I'm not sure that I recall anyone saying a good word about it. Copying the general notion of the Vector is not the same as cloning it. For that, they would have to actually take some measurements. :rolleyes:
J7suY26.jpeg

Congrats on the addition of the Blutt as it seriously looks premium and would've been my alternative choice instead of a Vector.
I'll admit I too was looking at the cheap knock off Vector clone from Yaqi as some reviews rated it a solid clone but seriously glad I didn't waste my $$$ as clearly cutting corners copying a proven design...
In all seriousness Yaqi should just stick to releasing shaving brushes...
Happy Shaves mate!

Quite often the band is crooked even when the knot is set straight. Either way, not a good look.
Yeah I'm leaning towards just sending it back as the knot is uneven and not a round shape but I shouldn't really be surprised as many reviews complained about poor QC issues! :(

Glad I didn't order the Omega Evo brush, because, of too many mixed reviews and I'm looking forward to your feedback @Razor Burn :ROFLMAO:
In all seriousness better to spend the $$$ on the Simpsons T3 as cheaper and much nicer overall presentation than the Evo with not much difference in feel between both knots... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.