Open Combs

I heard your first reply!

And you want to convince me to sell the ERR?
Mate, where there's thorns...
As to which, no doubt you're the later part of that old adage :)

Hey fellas,

What's your favourite Open Comb (OC) razor?
(And why does it stand out for you?)

This is my daily driver and I consider it to be the absolute pinnacle of razor technology.

wxy2vlt.jpg

It was an ugly downward spiral of gimmickification from here. The fact that they had 'solved shaving' was a real problem for Gillette and it's the reason we see vibrating five blade monstrosities today. They had to keep 'improving' what they'd already perfected.

I only have two qualms: 1) the blade tabs protrude slightly at the sides, and 2) the handle is mostly hollow - it would be better without the centre drilled out. Other than that it is the perfect shaving implement.

This is my daily driver and I consider it to be the absolute pinnacle of razor technology.

wxy2vlt.jpg

It was an ugly downward spiral of gimmickification from here. The fact that they had 'solved shaving' was a real problem for Gillette and it's the reason we see vibrating five blade monstrosities today. They had to keep 'improving' what they'd already perfected.

I only have two qualms: 1) the blade tabs protrude slightly at the sides, and 2) the handle is mostly hollow - it would be better without the centre drilled out. Other than that it is the perfect shaving implement.
Thanks KD! I too love the NEW LC. I've got a few other iterations to try but it's my favourite OC razor.

I've never noticed an issue with your first point. Do they affect your shave?

#2. Why don't you use a different handle with the NEW head? Even the original NEWs had several different handles. I've tried several older handles. I've also used a Weber Bulldog and liked it. Then I tried the Weber Classic (slightly thinner and longer) and liked it even more for the leverage. I'd give several different handles a go with the NEW head. That's what I love so much about a 3 piece razor- it's versatility.

Thanks KD! I too love the NEW LC. I've got a few other iterations to try but it's my favourite OC razor.

I've never noticed an issue with your first point. Do they affect your shave?

#2. Why don't you use a different handle with the NEW head? Even the original NEWs had several different handles. I've tried several older handles. I've also used a Weber Bulldog and liked it. Then I tried the Weber Classic (slightly thinner and longer) and liked it even more for the leverage. I'd give several different handles a go with the NEW head. That's what I love so much about a 3 piece razor- it's versatility.

As I shave under my nose I need to be careful because the tabs can nip the base of my nose if I'm careless there. Very minor issue.

The handle thing is really nitpicking on my part. I'm actually quite fond of the bar handle. One of these days I will own a UFO or some other nice stainless handle though.

Ahhh, but do you have both the thick and thin bar handles ....

I own and use 3 lovely OC's : fully replated Gillette NEW LC and SC, and an ATT M2.

I enjoy the shave I get from all of them. But as much as I'd like any of them to be a regular driver, my face can only take a couple of consecutive shaves from the Gillettes, and maybe a little more from the ATT before I have to pack it in. It seems no matter what I do in terms of prep, blade choice and technique, a tad too much epidermis comes off along with the whiskers. Then it's back to a milder solid bar for a few days until the face is in good enough shape to start the cycle again.

Overly sensitive skin really is an option limiter :(

wxy2vlt.jpg

The NEW LC (UK in my case) was my favourite OC for some time......and then I tried the NEW DeLuxe. Oh boy, that razor is a step up again...

1930%20Norfolk%20De%20Luxe%20chrome.JPG

I didn't try this particular model, but it is probably the best illustration of the unique head design. One that I believe was copied by the iKon for their OC DeLuxe (I believe the name is deliberately homage)

I've a couple of OC's but after many moons of reading praise for the New I made a mental note to keep an eye out for one. Picked one up recently (alas the ebay seller was a bit of a jerk - packed it only in a satchel with sticky tape around the head/baseplate , handle floating loose - very poor packaging and amazing a few teeth didn't get bent! Plus several weeks after the sale and despite me logging feedback he's one of those annoying sellers who just won't log feedback. So be warned in advance if you come across his stuff as the buyer I couldn't have done anything better and this is the way this jackass acted! Quite annoying!)

Appear to be a Gillette New OC with thin Tech handle . Interestingly this one is made in Australia (and let me tell you Bluey or whoever was in charge of quality control that day was taking it pretty easy! A bit patchy to say the least).

Used it for the first time last night and very pleasant shaver, the best OC I've used for overall performance (nice balance between efficiency and also comfort).

Alas much as @khun_diddy stated several posts above the rotten little end tabs on the blade that stick out at either end gave me a nice slash across the right nostril! A real bugbear it is that whoever was pinching the pennies decided that saving a few pennies worth of metal by reducing the heads length by a few mm was a good idea!!!

Oh and FWIW as someone who's gotten a proper styptic pencil after using an alum blocks on cuts for years I can STRONGLY recommend such a basic upgrade to folks, no way the alum would have stopped this piece of handiwork without a few minutes bleeding and the styptic a few dabs later had it bottled up perfectly! Wonderful lil things.

Anyway very nice lil razor (I used the head with the Weber Bulldog handle, though had to put a lil rubber washer on it as the head's screw was longer than the handle could take) and urge others to track them down if you can.

Hey fellas,

What's your favourite Open Comb (OC) razor?
(And why does it stand out for you?)

Micromatic Open Comb [MMOC] Significant blade exposure. Very close shave and with good technique no blood loss. There is a major awareness of the blade - or should be. It does have an assassin type persona in the SE world but for many men in the 1930's it was their daily shave. I have found mine gives a very good shave. 2 pass BBS. It is easy to cut yourself though if you even think too much pressure.

Steve

Great post NtK. Interesting as I have a NEW LC coming in due time. Looking forward to it.

Razors come is all shapes and sizes but in DE fall, more often than not into 3 types. Bar, Open Comb & Slant. Slants are supposed to work more efficiently because of a perceived guillotine action (this is complete nonsense as the blade is horizontal and not vertical) and the distortion of the blade causes the beard reduction (known as shaving) unevenly cut. The result is all SLANTS cause rough, sharp edged regrowth. Basically slants suck and making them more aggressive does not solve the problem and i base this on using the 37C, iKon 102 and ATT-S2 (open comb/slant combo).

Next is the BAR. It can be the most smooth of shaves but unless built or given a more aggressive gap takes work to get smooth and often results in irritation. I base this on use of EJ89, 34C, the ajustable fusion and iKon 101 (comb OC/Bar). Bar razors have decent hair reduction and regrowth is often smooth. Its not easy to get BSS and the more aggressive the BAR the bigger risk of cuts and irritation. I hate irritation, as i loath the feeling of unshaven stubble ~ the solution next!

Lastly the OPENCOMB DE RAZOR. Opencomb falls into 2 camps, LONG COMB and SHORT. The SHORTER the comb the more aggressive it is because the closer the blade is to the skin. The longer, the smoother it feels. The other thing about the OC is that some of the shaving soap remains on the face after each swipe. Allowing for several repeated passes for beard/hair reduction. The mildest OC is by FAR the PhoenixDOC (double open comb). For some (depending on when, how and what you shave) might be the only razor you will need. For me its just too mild for passes1/2, so I use a more aggressive razor, but pass 3 and clean up i was swapping to the DOC and got easy BBS with no irritation (which i am very prone to on the neck). The R41 (2103) version is about as aggressive a (short comb) razor as i would be game to try and its great for passes 1&2 but more than that and its a poor razor to pick for pass 3 and clean up unless you have a face made of old cow hide! Mine gets a fire that lasts for hours and i say if youve got this, then something is wrong! The 2011 R41 and some of the ATT/WOLFMAN/S6 KickStarterEd offerings fall somewhere between the two. Whats nice about the iKon 101 is that you can have both the OC for quick slash of wiskers for pass one and two, and the bar for a more gentle clean up.

So, whats better? Well in 2014 Parker launched their OC the Parker 24C/26C (same head, different handle). The 26C is amazing. It does the beard reduction thats expected of an OC, but it does buffering like the PhoenixDOC. Now why all the shaving videos show shavers using only one razor throughout i am most perplexed. I cant be the only one to find different razors better fot different parts of a shave, or beard condition. I also notice NONE mention beard growth after 18-24hrs. Like ive said, SLANTS regrowth sucks moneys balls IMO! Great for 3+ days growth for pass 1 and/or 2 but not for a daily shaver thats for sure. Regularity is another thing, with the 26C i can shave daily baby smooth, no cuts or irritation. Regrowth (beause its such an effective hair length reducer) a shave is good for 18hours, with minimal, soft stubble after 24. if it wasn't for a morning shower to plump up my face hair, i could go 36hrs easy. But i like to wake up with a shower daily in the AM, so i shave daily too. The iKon 101 & R41 remain on standby but the slants are used only when i need to mow down some more serious face rug hair!

YMMV, things that may vary it is the state of your face, skin, hair direction and growth and sensitivity to both shaing, soaps, balms ect... After a shave
  • rince with a good cloth
  • Alum (wetted) your face & avoid the eyes, its stings)
  • wichazel to spruce up your skin
  • shaving balm (spf is good)
  • (optional, depending on balm) aftershave or cologne!
Next, Razor and Bush care! The reason is both longevity and hygiene. Bacteria & gunk off your face is a breeding ground of rust and skin irrttation!

• take DE apart, rince and let dry before assembly. WIPE the edge of the DE blade, remove scum before reuse and DONT CUT YOURSELF (ITS EASY DONE)
  • RINCE THE BRUSH WITH WATER, GENTLE SQUEEZE AND WIPE DRY ON TOWL, GENTLY. Now keep in the LIGHT to dry. I keep mine in an empty toilet roll centre to absorb excess water and keep the brush shape. This is especially the case for badger brushes.
So my pick. The 24C or 26C from parker. If i had just one brush, this would be it. I can get a week from a single blade (astras sp for now) and my trust parker best badger. Got the rest, this is the best BY FAR.... here endth the lesson

That's quite a diatribe hardy!

I've used the 13' R41 and agree it's too harsh for ATG.

Have you used the Murker 25C? It's supposed to be a mild OC I'm looking forward to using.

The only trouble with a Parker is that, well, it's not very exotic. Surely only razors that cost $250 are any good at actually shaving [emoji6]

BUILD QUALITY: Let me tell you the quality of the Parker 26C is as high as any sub US$100 razor made. Next for build quality is iKon's with the aluminium heads, next is above-thet-tie CMC machined 316L Stainless-steel (I prefer aluminium over even 316L/SS) and wolfman SS and all the other kickstarter SS like the S6/Blackbird and the rest. The price of the 26C is so low, why not give it a try, if you want a little nicer handle well swap it for something you like. But the shave is whats important, the regrowth of the 26C is slower as it does better hair reduction over others. I have a 15C coming this week as well as some others too. Ill post how i like them too. Im not a shaving snob, the best soaps ive tried cost me $2-3 (goats and bees) from ebay or weekend markets. I have some nice creams (as we all do) but you dont need to spend $15-75 for a cream to get an awesome shave. I experiement, I try shaving with and without prepshave, i try to soap everything, cleanup recommendations by others are tried and i record the results. Shaving is an awesome 10-20min but its the all day feeling im more impressed by. Does a scent last, hows the speed of regrowth and how does it feel. Lastly, what can be illuminated ~ thats right im always trying to reduce complexity for myself. If i dont see, smell or feel the difference then its removed from my daily schedule! I have a very small FB friends list for the same reason. I only keep, and posted about whats important to me and i share it to help and save others the effort but i also ask YOU to try it and prove me wrong and post about it. If you can do better, tell me!

Ahh I was only joking about expensive razors. Some people have many expensive razors, some don't. I don't. I'd like to try the Parker, but maybe down the track a bit.

Screw that cleaning routine after every shaving session.
I rinse and shake out most of the moisture in both razor and brush then get on with far more important things in life, nose picking for example.
If I notice a build up I'll give the razor a quick wipe when changing blades.
I was just reading about someone else who spends an hour shaving every day!
I just don't get it.

So, whats better? Well in 2014 Parker launched their OC the Parker 24C/26C (same head, different handle). The 26C is amazing.
Mate, you've overspent. Try a Gillette NEW Long Comb and you'll throw your Parker away... Cheaper and longer lasting to boot. [emoji13]