Open Combs

The 24C/26C is a great head, this is what the Pureman OC Prototype uses. The handle on it is miles better than anything that Parker dreamed of for that head.

The 24C/26C is a great head, this is what the Pureman OC Prototype uses. The handle on it is miles better than anything that Parker dreamed of for that head.

This intrigues me. Did the prototype ever make it to production. Can't find anything on their website.

Last edited:
Nope, they dropped the experiment due to the costs involved of modifying a design. Mostly it was different handles on existing heads, and not all worked well at all.

The OC proto handle is a great design, very long but balances very very well.

The Weber classic is similar. It measures 98mm x 11mm, but the Proto handle is 100mm x 10mm. My own opinion would be that it is similar but not quite the same in terms of balance.

The Proto handle is straight with knurling only but the Weber Classic has the knob on the end. That will affect balance. Half the beauty of the Proto handle is the supreme balance of it.

YMMV, as iirc, not many found the sweet spot with the Proto in the PC TB #2.

Got a Muhle 15C, very, very mild. Even more than the PAA-DOC! Maybe shimming will help but as is this is a fail IMO. Still waiting for my maggardrazors own opencomb head and ill post where it sits when it arrives and i get a couple of shaves off it. Still no change from saying the 24C/26C (chrome plated head & handle/nickel plated head) is No1, then the combo R41/PAA-DOC for last pass and cleanup.

I got the Murker 25C, it's very very mild. Would you like to buy it to compare to the 15C? [emoji6]

Its the same head on the 25C as the 15C, only the handles differ. They therefore give the exact same shave... Its not a good shave, too much worked needed and its not even very good at beard reduction for BSS, it just dosent seem to be able to get close no matter how many passes i gave it. And more passes means more irritation

Got a Muhle 15C, very, very mild. Even more than the PAA-DOC! Maybe shimming will help but as is this is a fail IMO. Still waiting for my maggardrazors own opencomb head and ill post where it sits when it arrives and i get a couple of shaves off it. Still no change from saying the 24C/26C (chrome plated head & handle/nickel plated head) is No1, then the combo R41/PAA-DOC for last pass and cleanup.
I can't recall if you've tried a NEW Long Comb? You've only listed modern razors which are often modelled on the vintage razors.

Im trying to get a NEW O/C head'n'cap to try, but no, not yet. But i just got a 67 bday Gillette (my first vintage)... Most vintage razors rep bad value. True they are made well and can be re-plated. But im thinking bang for buck a new razor is just better value IMO.

Im trying to get a NEW O/C head'n'cap to try, but no, not yet. But i just got a 67 bday Gillette (my first vintage)... Most vintage razors rep bad value. True they are made well and can be re-plated. But im thinking bang for buck a new razor is just better value IMO.
Congrats on your b'day Gillette! Well done. [emoji106]

Hit up the antique stores and you should find a NEW LC. There are a few around and they represent great value if you find one. Anywhere upwards from $5.

I think you are mistaken and I don't know where you got the idea that Vintage razors are "bad value". They are actually great value if you think it through. Vintage are more than simply made well, they are made of better materials than most modern razors. They are far better value than the Merkurs and EJs and Muhles. Sure they are "cheap", but those razors are made of pot metal or Zamak that will become brittle and break in time. The vintage razors are made from brass, nickel, rhodium (and may be plated with silver or gold). They are malleable and can survive more than a modern razor. Your vintage razor will outlast your "modern" razor.

Of course, you could spend $100+ on a modern stainless steel razor but then that would be less value comparative to most Vintage razors.

Here are your options for considering "value":

1. $20-100 Modern Zamak Razor
Merkur / EJ / Muhle / Weishi / RR / Maggard / etc
+ Cheap, easily accessible
- Brittle, not durable, shiny but no character
> ok value if you are not attached to your razor as you'll go though a couple in your life

2. $5-200 (& up to $1000) Vintage Razor
Gillette / Leresche / Apollo / Eclipse / etc
+ Durable, can be found cheaply, replateable
- Need to find, not new
> range in value (high to low) but mostly good value for money

3. $100-200 Modern stainless steel razor
ATT / Wolfman / Etc
+ Extremely durable and hard wearing, new!
- Comparatively exy
> ok value if you value longevity

Some would say a modern SS razor is good value - and I'd agree with their points.

Some would say a vintage razor is good value - and I'd agree with them on that as well.

But I'd never say that a "modern" razor made of Zamak is good value. It pales in comparison to the other two categories. A Weber or ATT or NEW or Rocket would all last you a lifetime. A $50 Merkur would last until you dropped it.

Oh, sorry ~ my POV is based on the fact that I live in AU and its dam hard to find things like this, let alone as cheap as you can obviously find things in the US. If i could score a cheap LC/OC Gillette i would send it to razoremporium and get it revamped and it would be my favorite for sure. Alas all attempts to secure one has been unsuccessful. So if you can help a brother out email me srhardy@gmail.com if you have a head/cap (postage to australia in a padded envelope). Anyway thats why i siad what i said, if i could score a stright head/cap ... well such things are rare here!

It is hard to find stuff in the wild here in Australia @srhardy as I'm sure @filobiblic is aware being a Sydneysider :)

You can still get some bargains on eBay - especially in the lower order user grade stuff. I've sent wins straight to RE previously from the US seller and that helps keeps costs down or they do have stock of already revamped stuff they sell like this one -

IMG_0042__74057.1435801053.1280.1280.jpg

RE does cop some criticism and there are other vendors of replated stuff out there too

Oh, sorry ~ my POV is based on the fact that I live in AU and its dam hard to find things like this, let alone as cheap as you can obviously find things in the US.
Oh I'm in Australia too you know! It's not completely out of the picture to find razors in the wild here for low prices. FatBoys for $10 in the Blue Mtns Antique stores, $15 Slims in southern Sydney, $5 NEWs in Inner West antique store and even a $5 Schick Krona in a local garage sale. It's just you need to look hard; don't expect to find anything but every now and then you hit gold.

It is hard to find stuff in the wild here in Australia @srhardy as I'm sure @filobiblic is aware being a Sydneysider :)

You can still get some bargains on eBay - especially in the lower order user grade stuff.
RE does cop some criticism and there are other vendors of replated stuff out there too
eBay is one option and another is to post a Want To Buy here at P&C (or Facebook, etc). Plenty of blokes here with razors tucked away and willing to sell for a fair price. There was a NEW LC for $20-30 delivered a few months back. Every now and then there is a clear out sale by someone.

It also sounds like you want a "new" or "replated-like-new" razor. You could spend $80-120 for a NEW bought in U.S. and replated then shipped here. Or buy a solid user grade NEW here for $10 (or even $20) and then get a local shop to replate it for $50. That's $60-80 tops and it'll be 2 weeks not 2-3 months AND you get to see the razor (cf sight unseen). That'd be a quality razor that'd last a lifetime. Totally possible here in Oz.

Alas all attempts to secure one has been unsuccessful. So if you can help a brother out email me srhardy@gmail.com if you have a head/cap (postage to australia in a padded envelope).
sorry mate but I just sent off my second NEW to @Nonick. If I come across another ill send it your way.

Anyway thats why i siad what i said, if i could score a stright head/cap ... well such things are rare here!
They aren't rare at all! A NEW LC is one of the most common razors (along with the Rocket/Superspeed - which I also had previously sent to @Nonick!).

Why don't you post in the BST section a WTB (Want to Buy)? I'm sure you be able to get one sent to you!

The NEW LC is great. With mates like Phil around they just turn up in the post. Getting things in Australia couldn't be easier [emoji6]

The NEW LC is great. With mates like Phil around they just turn up in the post. Getting things in Australia couldn't be easier [emoji6]
Unless I run out... I'll just have to find some more...

Foolish me, never thought to ask. Phil must be a special guy ~ Ill trade a favor like that with a weeks R&R at my place in Bundaberg (good spot to get away from the southern cold as its winter in Australia) on the GBR (great barrier reef) anytime!