Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4A - Reviews and Comments

The scent is something that reminds me of Imperial Leather and I suspect would be right up the beaten path for @Dale.Whiley
Mate, if you've not tried it thus far, give it a spin when you've the chance, I think you will enjoy it.
I don't recall if there's
@borked , still up to your enabling schemes. YOU KNOW FULL WELL I'm on a sabbatical year. Yes, I am into the traditional scents but at this stage I'm looking at going the sabbatical thing for 2-years running. I'll advise in December if the urge to purchase another straight doesn't get the better of me toward the finish of this sabbatical year. Thanks for attempting to weaken my resolve though. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

@borked , still up to your enabling schemes. YOU KNOW FULL WELL I'm on a sabbatical year. Yes, I am into the traditional scents but at this stage I'm looking at going the sabbatical thing for 2-years running. I'll advise in December if the urge to purchase another straight doesn't get the better of me toward the finish of this sabbatical year. Thanks for attempting to weaken my resolve though. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Can someone send this man a sample, so he knows what he's missing out upon?

I came, I shaved, it was sticky!

Soap
This was one I've set aside to try, as I've been curious about their product.
The scent a different take to what you would expect, with what you feel would dominate, taking a back seat and adding a bit of depth to its profile.
As for performance, middle ground for me, far better than anything available in the commercial retail sector and a fair few high end street retailer products too, yet not good enough for me to go out and purchase, yet.
If it was an option in a pinch, I would be more than happy to use it though.
No post shave products and blade brush etc rest of routine remained the same.

Tonight's shave, bought to you by a pack mentality.

Soap
AND
Soap

These are two I've set aside to try as well.
First one reminded me of @Anthony and Spiced Mahogany, beautiful scent.
Second one reminded me of @Barrister & Mann #3 prototype (only the old school here will remember it, I STILL WANT A TUB DAMN IT), another desired scent.
That's two out of two and a few of the others sniffed, lathered, yet not shaved with also smell the goods.
Seriously @SchoolForAnts top darts scent wise, just a pity they're muted strength and endurance wise.
Both Will and Anthony's soaps have a longer lasting fragrance.
Performance is good, better than WftW, yet sub par to Anthony and Will's product.
Given they're only new to the market, I expect to see the gap between them diminish over the next 12 months, yet am already tempted at this stage to purchase at least the second (if the scent was stronger and lasted longer, it would already have been purchased).

Post shave
For those that despise the scent of ARKO!!!! this will really get up your nose ad this is from someone that can use it!
Come on, fess up,who accidentally spilt the contents early one morning and used the bottle to relieve themselves?
Absolutely shocking scent that reminded me of stale, dried piss!
Initial dry down is friendlier than it's top notes yet it lingers man, that scent lingers!
I've washed it off and found a toilet puck to rub over my face from the local pub and feel far my hygienic than this abomination left me feeling!
Can't mention its post shave properties, it wasn't around long enough to do anything beyond the initial sterilise.

Other items are a constant.

Tonight's shave, bought to you by
1894751866_850ce386d6_b.jpg

Soap
Straight up I lathered both scents from this brand and the older base version in Imperial Tonic reminded me of Perkins Paste!
The 1912 base version is a nice cool aquatic scent to me.
The lather in my opinion, is better from this older version, which has potassium lardate, which is lacking in the current 1912 base version.
I used this scent from the current range.
The later lather was acceptable, yet I instantly regretted not using the other version lather wise.
I strongly suspect it retains more water and has a higher cushion than the current version from direct and immediate comparison.
Scent for me is too weak for both.
Items like vetiver understandably require a gentle hand to ensure it's not overpowering, yet this is an instance that's not the case.
I place this between WftW and Squadron Soaps over all.

As for afrershave, this got the nod as I desired to try the scent.
I know what the product works like, yet the scent isn't for me.
It's far from gagworthy, just not to my personal liking.
I'll stick to Formula K.

Other items are a constant.

Today's shave, brought to you by news of the past.

Wednesday
Soap and Balm
Reasonably strong lavender scent for the soap and lesser so for the balm.
Reasonable performance from both, yet nothing to write home about.
Ok to use in a pinch for both items.
Soap scent is more natural and preferred.

Thursday
Soap
Strong scent, which is not to my preference, yet is another one I suspect @Dale.Whiley will enjoy if PIFed some or waits until his sabbatical expires.
Found the lather a bit wanting, not sure exactly what, yet felt it just lacked something to be decent.
Not saying it's not ok, just imho not that next step up to decent.
Aftershave
Revisited this as I've come to like Floid Blue where as I didn't at first.
It's not for me scent wise, yet for some...

Friday
Soap and Soap
Lathered the first, shaved with the second.
First reminded me or TFS's and Shaver Heaven's green tobacco offerings, scent strength is about middle ground.
Second is citrus peel and underwhelming to me scent strength wise.
Later was decent for an European soap, possibly worthy of the fabled Euro fanatic himself! What say you @stillshunter ?
Aftershave
Staying with the fresh theme yet the scent is just not for me, yet probably the best thus far scent wise for aftershaves.

Saturday
Soap
Succinct summary, meh!
Scent is a bay rum barbershop theme.
Performance didn't knock my socks off.
Aftershave
Maybe... jury is still out!

Sunday
Soap and Soap
Lathered the first, an interesting take on TdH, yet not warm or zesty enough to pull it off.
Second is as describes and quite pleasant.
Soap lathered up quite decently too.
If given the chance, would revisit it and a few others to find my preferred scent in their range.
Nagging doubt is probably lack of tallow.
Balm
This guy, seriously this guy!
What type of pork chop puts out a balm this good then denies his clientele access to it?
My not so quiet petition for a return.
Consistency of high end European facial creams in fancy tubs so ornate you're afraid to even more the fucker, alas you feel the wrath of SWMBA's for daring to go near her miracle cream.
Absorbed quickly by the skin.
Scent lasts a decent period of time.
ONLY bloody thing, is you're unable to buy them!
*grumbles some more*
Cologne
This, see this?
Get some, just get some and try it however you can!
I will find a way for some to come my way, despite the inordinately unfortunate timing.
I've already linked two members here to vintage bottles, as their countries shitty post won't ship anything like this international due to some feudal superior no doubt stubbing their big toe and venting upon the public for their misfortune, then also shuts down the only other option, that being seamail, so you're royally fucked!
The vintage juice is more intense, this is a good thing :)
I think it was my first travelling box that introduced my to Alt Innsbruck, which was a necessary unobtainium.
This in all likelihood, will by the item from this box I actively seek out.

Balm
This guy, seriously this guy!
What type of pork chop puts out a balm this good then denies his clientele access to it?
My not so quiet petition for a return.
Consistency of high end European facial creams in fancy tubs so ornate you're afraid to even more the fucker, alas you feel the wrath of SWMBA's for daring to go near her miracle cream.
Absorbed quickly by the skin.
Scent lasts a decent period of time.
ONLY bloody thing, is you're unable to buy them!
*grumbles some more*

I had balms available for the entire AP Reserve range however there was simply not a sufficient local demand for me continuing to offer them when I factored in the production cost of the base, packaging, labeling versus the very small number of people that appreciated and bought them.

The thing with a product like the aftershave balm is that I needed to get the base made up to my specifications by a cosmetics lab which as you can expect was expensive given the list of compounds in my balm, it wasn't cheap stuff and it was tailor made to my formula to be used specifically after shaving - many of the compounds in it are very expensive which would not be a problem if there were sufficient numbers of people wanting it out there in the market however there were not. I then had the packaging and labeling cost and dominant factor being the cost of the base from the cosmetics lab which had a minimum 20kg order quantity... the reality was I had a substantial outlay on a product that unfortunately there was not sufficient demand for. It simply was not viable, emotional attachments to the product by a few people unfortunately cannot dictate me continuing to offer it.

I am currently in talks with a couple of large US retailers who will be stocking AP Reserve in the US, part of these talks entails them stocking an aftershave balm somewhere down the line, I am looking at delivery options at the moment for the balm and if it's viable, there is a possibility that some of the US intended product may be available locally if I can factor the very limited Australian quantities into the larger US procurement numbers.

I then had the packaging and labeling cost and dominant factor being the cost of the base from the cosmetics lab which had a minimum 20kg order quantity...
I think the solution is obvious... Each shaver just needs to buy it by the kilo. ;)
I've spent far more on lesser products.
Edit: having thought about it, I probably *would* buy it in bulk...

But seriously, I'm glad the idea is still alive. Your balm is just wonderful, mate.

I had balms available for the entire AP Reserve range however there was simply not a sufficient local demand for me continuing to offer them when I factored in the production cost of the base, packaging, labeling versus the very small number of people that appreciated and bought them.

The thing with a product like the aftershave balm is that I needed to get the base made up to my specifications by a cosmetics lab which as you can expect was expensive given the list of compounds in my balm, it wasn't cheap stuff and it was tailor made to my formula to be used specifically after shaving - many of the compounds in it are very expensive which would not be a problem if there were sufficient numbers of people wanting it out there in the market however there were not. I then had the packaging and labeling cost and dominant factor being the cost of the base from the cosmetics lab which had a minimum 20kg order quantity... the reality was I had a substantial outlay on a product that unfortunately there was not sufficient demand for. It simply was not viable, emotional attachments to the product by a few people unfortunately cannot dictate me continuing to offer it.

I am currently in talks with a couple of large US retailers who will be stocking AP Reserve in the US, part of these talks entails them stocking an aftershave balm somewhere down the line, I am looking at delivery options at the moment for the balm and if it's viable, there is a possibility that some of the US intended product may be available locally if I can factor the very limited Australian quantities into the larger US procurement numbers.
Mate, I understand the logic behind the decision and albeit hard to say so, support your financially based decision.
Doesn't make it any easier from an emotional aspect though.
Almost like I find a great Aussie artisan and they deliberately discontinue the item.
Anthony and his soaps, your balms, what next? Con goes belly up?

Am glad to hear that there is at least a possibility of its return in a limited aspect and is how logically I would approach it, particularly during a development stage :)
BTW, if you've any sitting around mate... ;)

BTW, if you've any sitting around mate, I will but it all, quantity not limited, at a fair commercial value to ensure you are adequately compensated... ;)

FTFY :)

Soap
Ok soap, didn't really impress me for the price charged.
Being one of the few with any suggestion of menthol in the initial smell, I had to try it, yet it would be a winter strength for me, which doesn't work with the fresher scent profile I'd assign to warmer weather.
Genuine Eucalyptus base note to it though, which is a nice change.

Soap
Good, yet not great soap, would be content using it, yet there are better options.
The scent profile is a citrus laced barbershop profile to me and quite pleasant.
If I was pifed a full sized tub or presented the opportunity to even loan one for a bit, I'd take the opportunity to see if the lather improved as I oft find it does with the full product.

Soap
Meh, neither here nor there scent and performance wise.
Does nothing to set it aside from the pack, both good and bad.
Next!

Soap
Interesting soap.
Something different about its performance that I desire to borrow a full tub and give it a solid weeks trial.
Yet the scent, did someone forget to add scent to this?
There is no scent beyond raw materials!
Hope the rest of his range aren't this muted scent wise, as it would seriously detract from my interest.

Soap
Desired to try the scent alone, it's ok, yet not for me.
The products performance is ok I guess.

Soap
Underwhelming performance and scent.
Was another menthol hopeful that disappointed, yet probably the best out of what I've tried.

Soap
Scent is better than the last one and probably a nice fringe season scent.
Performance as above.

Soap
My pick of the scents of these three.
Still a bit weak for my preferences.
Would consider trying a full sized tub of this.

Soap
Saved this one as last cab off the rank.
I've a small thatch of Jasmine along one side fence.
It's scent wafts in and out of consciousness at this time of year as a gentle reminder of Spring around the corner.
This soap subtly is performing the same trick with it's layered scent profile.
It is nice scent, yet there is just something about the combination that just doesn't work for me!
Soap performs admirably as well.
I look forward to it being released in CS scent.
That scent is astounding, particularly in the now sadly defunct balm.

To summarise, Czech & Speake #88 will at some time be a purchase.
APR is a strong likelihood for a soap purchase as well.
OSP is one that I definitely desire to give further consideration to.
There are others, yet those three are priorities.

I thank @Mark1966 for his ongoing time and effort to arrange these travelling boxes and those that contribute towards them.
Without the two, we would be lacking a great experience to try new products and review previously tried products to possibly revise an inexperienced opinion.
I encourage everyone to partake within these in future if at all possible, irrelevant your experience level.

Borked personally delivered the P&C Travelling Box 4A to my work which was great, so we had a chat, show and tell of a couple of spare razors I had in my office and he gave me a few pointers on the box and a couple of his highlights from it as well.

Once home my partner was interested in the box until she saw the contents and gave me steely eyes. Quickly I highlighted the virtues of a travelling sample box against purchasing everything in the world to try. So she told me that I’ll get hives with that and departed to allow to me map out my attack.

First up is Dr Jon’s Classic shave soap (vegan) and the first iteration so please consider my review not about the current Vol.2 that is in the market today. The Vol.2 version apparently is slicker, easier to lather and a better post feel (I hope so).

While bowl lathering I get hints of herb, wood, flowers and citrus to give a fresh scent profile. At first I thought it had a touch of menthol but looking at the ingredient list I was wrong. Once lathered I had a second layer of cedar coming through and then sweet citrus. The scents aren’t strong except the wood & herb profile was the strongest. Nice and fresh with some warming notes.

Bowl lathering was not natural for me as a face lather but since these are samples a pea sized chunk was taken out and after a minute or two I wished I grabbed more. As the lather felt weak to me but after a few drops of water, then few more and more from egg peaks to runny yogurt to egg peaks, yogurt, egg peaks and finally yogurt to a nice thick cream I was ready to shave.

After a good hot face rinse the lather was great and had a little cushion so got the lather consistency right. Smell was now definitely cedar and very light fresh smell. Pleasant and nice.

Scent: Fresh light lavender & citrus with woodsy base, light scent and could be stronger. Post lathering the cedar is the dominate with a base of lavender.

Lather: May have needed a bit more soap as lather was weak. After an adjustment and slowly adding more water I got the lather I wanted but took longer than expected. Firm and decent with a good consistency. Wasn’t as slick as I’m used to as my experience is mainly tallow based B&M soaps.

Post shave: Was good and felt like my face held some moisture, so not drying as most.

Aftershave was a tough choice as there is a few to choose from but my hand grabbed ‘Skin Bracer’. After two squirts I realised the bottle was empty so rubbed the remainder where it was required.

Good feel but drying for my face (YMMV) so had to grab a moisturiser later on in the morning. Couldn't work out the scent at all but likeable.

bdfa51e2cd.png

Last edited:
Been lying in a pool of my own sweat for a week of it. Damn flu, couldn't shake it.
Have been working my way slowly through the box... And love it just too tired from being unwell the whole damn time to throw my thoughts up here.
Sorry to let you down.
Still have my notes so will be adding some up shortly.
However my time is up and the box moves on.. sadly.
No shaving since 17 August? What are you people doing!

@RustyBlade, come in @RustyBlade :)

Been lying in a pool of my own sweat for a week of it. Damn flu, couldn't shake it.
Have been working my way slowly through the box... And love it just too tired from being unwell the whole damn time to throw my thoughts up here.
Sorry to let you down.

Sorry to hear that mate :(

Sorry to let you down.
Mate, you get well soon!

Yes, bad timing and to make things worst my nose stopped being able to sniff so I couldn't get a true scent profile some days. Also missed the Canberra Meetup which would of been nice. That's life and having the winter blues.
Really appreciated the travelling box as each morning I'd play and sniff working out what to use next. Very fun and informative. Great opportunity from the P&C forum, & special thanks @Mark1966
Box will be departing tomorrow morning to a new secret location :)