Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

So. I sorted out the box last night to work out what was there. Wow. It's also hilariously arrived during the 3 busiest weeks of the year as I go into whole school production mode. I've decided I'm going to shave everyday while I have the box to maximise my enjoyment.

My standard kit will be...

Razor : Gillette New SC with Stray Whisker handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp SS
Brush: TF Amber and Ash Synthetic

I will use warm water, bowl lather and only do three passes to maximise hair growth. I'm also planning on doing some videos too if I can manage.

Today's Shave - @TomG Recommend

Reef Point - Dragons Blood
This is a much softer formula than Test Depth which is my only previous experience with Reef Point. It lathers more easily and with enough water I got a great consistency. Very good cushion, glide and BETTER slickness than Test Depth. Scent is excellent and very reminiscent of the PAA version. But I think I prefer this. Will buy and it has sparked my interest in more RP soaps.

Stirling Ozark Mountain AS
A sweeter Pino Sylvestre! This is a brilliant scent. I was conscious to not use too much of the sample (I like to bathe in AS) but still good face feel. Will buy.

Nice review @Greenpike!

Don't forget that there are a couple of things in there to keep - so you can review those after the box has moved on AND you can always scrap out a sample or two to try later :)

Last edited:
A Friend's Selection - Box Journey 2

Henri et Victoria Cognac & Cigars Soap
My first experience with HeV was positive. A very easy and quick lather indeed using the soap pressed into the bowl, plunging the whole bowl quickly into sink to warm up in the hot water, shaking it out and then using the brush. It takes water well and provides great cushion, glide and a superior slickness that allows buffing even after rinsing your face if necessary. Not the closest of shaves but I was rushed with an early start and I'm trying to encourage enough hair for daily shaves while I have the box. Scent is lovely but I'd like it a little stronger. I'd call it a 3 in the pot and a 2 on the face. Having said that - I'm still getting over a flu and I don't trust my olfactory senses atm.

Stirling Executive Man AS
A solidly performing Aventus Creed AS. Scent is a little stronger than my Floid Black. Very toning and great post feel. I boosted it even more with my Razorock Emporer EdT clone version as again I used less than my normal sized splash.

Last edited:
Ghost of Roam Shave

Jabon de Afeitar "Juha" Soap
A soft soap that smells a lot like B&M Roam. I'm in love and so glad that when my unobtainium runs out there is an alternative supply. I'm on the train and don't have time to do the research but I'd love to know what the Perkins Paste note actually comes from. It lathers amazingly well and has top glide and slickness. Cushion is good but I zoned out going over a dance routine in my head and over shaved around my mouth. Whoops. A weeper there.

Pitralon Swiss AS
A very different scent indeed. Spicy and fruity? Paired fine with the soap and it has a fair face feel.. Might have to try again to see if I like it or not. Struggling to judge these with only using sample sized samples. Not an issue for the soap interestingly. I'm clearly too liberal a splasher.

Last edited:
Today's Shave - @TomG Recommend

Reef Point - Dragons Blood
This is a much softer formula than Test Depth which is my only previous experience with Reef Point. It lathers more easily and with enough water I got a great consistency. Very good cushion, glide and BETTER slickness than Test Depth. Scent is excellent and very reminiscent of the PAA version. But I think I prefer this. Will buy and it has sparked my interest in more RP soaps.

Stirling Ozark Mountain AS
A sweeter Pino Sylvestre! This is a brilliant scent. I was conscious to not use too much of the sample (I like to bathe in AS) but still good face feel. Will buy.
Great review @Greenpike - seems you are having fun

Ghost of Roam Shave

Jabon de Afeitar "Juha" Soap
A soft soap that smells a lot like B&M Roam. I'm in love and so glad that when my unobtainium runs out there is an alternative supply. I'm on the train and don't have time to do the research but I'd love to know what the Perkins Paste note actually comes from. It lathers amazingly well and has top glide and slickness. Cushion is good but I zoned out going over a dance routine in my head and over shaved around my mouth. Whoops. A weeper there.

Pitralon Swiss AS
A very different scent indeed. Spicy and fruity? Paired fine with the soap and it has a fair face feel.. Might have to try again to see if I like it or not. Struggling to judge these with only using sample sized samples. Not an issue for the soap interestingly. I'm clearly too liberal a splasher.
Another good review, Mate.
Pitralon Swiss definitely has a fruit component - most users get banana. I enjoyed it, but prefer Pitralon Classic.

Funk Leather Baby

Local Gent Shaving Tobacco Lounge Soap
Wow. This is a scent bomb and the scent is funky / sweaty leather. I love it for the boldness alone but I reckon its polarising. Brilliant performance for a hardish soap. A triple threat. Most people should probably try a sniff before investing in this. A very easy dfs with no issues.

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve AS
Been dying to try this famous brand. I like this but I've already been told that others around me don't. Stuff them. I feel 70s machismo. This is clearly one that's more man friendly than for the ladies who like their men in Cool Aqua.

Funk Leather Baby

Local Gent Shaving Tobacco Lounge Soap
Wow. This is a scent bomb and the scent is funky / sweaty leather. I love it for the boldness alone but I reckon its polarising. Brilliant performance for a hardish soap. A triple threat. Most people should probably try a sniff before investing in this. A very easy dfs with no issues.

Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve AS
Been dying to try this famous brand. I like this but I've already been told that others around me don't. Stuff them. I feel 70s machismo. This is clearly one that's more man friendly than for the ladies who like their men in Cool Aqua.
:ROFLMAO: Great work, @Greenpike - only real men wear Special Reserve, eh!

Missed a Day Shave

Velobra Fougere Soap
SWEET JESUS. This is an amazing hardish soap and screams quality from the first drop of water. Best cushion, glide and brilliant slickness. The only thing that counts against it for me is that it just smells soapy. I am a total scent head and have dropped soaps before simply because they were too mild. Not this for this level of performance. Maybe it's because it is Saturday and this shave wasn't rushed at all but wow. I got a DFS from 2 passes on a two day growth on a twice used Perma-Sharp SS. Deliberately over buffed. No irritation. BBS from 3 passes with one neck clean up. This soap and I will meet again.

Stirling Gentleman AS
A lovely light smokey AS with nice face feel. APR does the same but much better so I wouldn't purchase. But I do like it.

Last edited:
Missed a Day Shave

Velobra Fougere Soap
SWEET JESUS. This is an amazing hardish soap and screams quality from the first drop of water. Best cushion, glide and brilliant slickness. The only thing that counts against it for me is that it just smells soapy. I am a total scent head and have dropped soaps before simply because they were too mild. Not this for this level of performance. Maybe it's because it is Saturday and this shave wasn't rushed at all but wow. I got a DFS from 2 passes on a two day growth on a twice used Perma-Sharp SS. Deliberately over buffed. No irritation. BBS from 3 passes with one neck clean up. This soap and I will meet again.

Stirling Gentleman AS
A lovely light smokey AS with nice face feel. APR does the same but much better so I wouldn't purchase. But I do like it.

Bugger, just sold my Valobra ...

Panna Crema Vetiver
It's a thickish cream with great cushion and good glide. Slickness is fair. What is lovely is the scent. Peppery Vetiver, baby! This is APR Pork Chop Vetiver quality! I will be getting this until there is an APR Pork Chop soap. Performance is good but I do tend to find I prefer harder soaps to the creams so this could just be my technique.

B&M Reserve Spice AS
Nice, red coloured Old Spice AS. Light but good face feel. Was expecting to love it more based on others reviews.

B&M Reserve Spice AS
Nice, red coloured Old Spice AS. Light but good face feel. Was expecting to love it more based on others reviews.
It grows on you. Sometimes I feel "somethings not right" and then realise it's because I haven't worn the spice when I probably should have.
It's a good 'default' a/s or even just refresher for non-shaving days.

Dr Jon's Anne Bonny Soap
A soft, beautifully strong scented bay rum soap. I've never used Dr Jon's before and the cushion, glide and slickness are lovely. It's clovey, warm and refreshing with a few extra notes like tea to make it stand out. I think I prefer it to OSP's Bay Rum and I do like that a lot. A very easy BBS in three passes... but I didn't have much hair growth from yesterday. No need for Alum.

Dr Jon's Anne Bonny AS
The same scent but with menthol. Good scent strength so far and face feel is average so far but that's probably due to how much I used.

Really enjoyed this combo for the scent. I feel ready for the day.

Mondial Zagara Soap
A soft, almost unscented soap with very good performance in cushion. Glide and slickness is good but not as good as I was expecting after my Velobra experience. Two days of growth slayed down to BBS in three easy passes... but not quite as irritation free as I'd hoped when I tested it with over buffing. Having said that - not one weeper. Looking at the price, I probably wouldn't buy but it is good.

B&M Reserve Classic AS
Lovely and I must say this Barbasol scent is more attractive than the Old Spice one of the last AS I tried in the range. Very powdery barber shop friendly. Had a good go too and face feel is great.

Best bit of the shave? APR General Ledger EdP sample I tried courtesy of @TomG.

Last edited: