Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

Yesterday i went with the razormaster juha and gf trumper sandalwood. The soap was a real dissapointment i started by building a lather as i normally would but it was severly lacking in slickness. So i rinsed out the brush and reloaded keeping it dry as i could which gave me an acceptable lather but still not great this soap really does not take water well at all.the scent is ok but nothing to write home about. So after the rough shave i thought the trumper skinfood might help. I found it went on tacky but dried out quick and my face was left just as dry as when i began. The scent is rather subdued sandalwood and has something of a toilet duck background note. Only positive to the shave was the rapira blade still going reasonably well.
Today was squadron spitfire soap that gave a good shave as usual and the scent is leathery with some other stuff i cant place going on as well. The blade gave up the ghost though on the second pass getting pretty draggy but being its fifth shave it is up there with my favourite blades. No aftershave today besides some dickinsins witch hazel and my skin feels good and the scent from the soap still creeps through slightly even 6 hrs on.

OK guys, well this box has come to the end of its travels. Anybody else want a try? Look at what you might be in store for -

iKK1cfb.jpg

hQSqutG.jpg

The razor was not very popular I noticed :( Will keep that in mind for the next box.

Any PCTB4A users want a run?

Sadly I already had a Gillette Old Style so didn't break it out. What is funny is that I really wanted to try the R41 in the other box... So much so I bought one.

Great box and I really enjoyed being part of it. Thanks, @Mark1966.

... and now it will be off to @tullfan !

The show remains on the road :)

A little battered and bruised, and with the instruction card missing, but the box is home -

Any other takers on this one?

I wouldn't mind having a look, if it's not any trouble. Especially given it's probably not far from me at the moment.

I wouldn't mind having a look, if it's not any trouble. Especially given it's probably not far from me at the moment.
Nice one, I'd love to get in the list too if I can for the future

Absolutely! Send me an SMS with details of when and where to pop it around to (or you can come and collect?)

Nice one, I'd love to get in the list too if I can for the future

Absolutely - CBR is the shaving capital of Australia - so we should all give it a go!

Absolutely! Send me an SMS with details of when and where to pop it around to (or you can come and collect?)

Around, about being the operative word in that sentence no doubt eh Mark :D

Around, about being the operative word in that sentence no doubt eh Mark :D

Actually only 3 roundabouts involved.

or maybe four ...

The night the box arrived at my house, I sat at my kitchen counter and started examining the samples.
My wife watched on and eventually took an interest. Without a word she sniffed each sample and placed them into one of two groups. By the end she had vetoed almost half! "You're not wearing those". It was a statement. Not a request. Haha! :LOL:

What follows are some notable thoughts and conclusions I had. It's a bit random. But, that's the mood I'm in.

How good does ShaverHeaven's "Outmeal Stout" smell!?
It's delicious! They had better come back...

SWIMBO and I also agreed that the following soaps smelled devine:
- Razor Master "Pekka". Delicious Aquatic scent. I didn't even realise I liked this kind of scent.
- Henri et Victoria "La Poire Francais". Probably the wife's favourite. I'm not surprised. She seems to like everything French.
- Local Gent "Kona Colada". We're a coffee household here. Coffee always goes down a treat. (I'm secretly hankering for a set of B&M Leviathan)

Now, my wife isn't one for reading labels. She just smells the samples and you can tell which ones she likes because she won't put them down... Perfume is like crack to young mothers.
It didn't take long to notice that half her 'like' pile was made up of Squadron soaps. Spitfire (which I own), Group Captain's Blend, Sweetheart and Ace all made the cut*. Ace didn't really do it for me. But her sense of smell is better than mine.
Neither of us liked "The Dutch Resistance". Liquorice doesn't agree with us and DR has it in spades. I'm sure some will love it. But it's not for us.
*There was no sample of The Warden. But I already own it. So it's all good. :D

A special shout-out goes to the Stirling Soaps "Executive Man" splash. Holy crap. That stuff smells great!
Including this in the box was just cruel since we can't get it here in Australia!!!

'Bay Rum' style scents are very popular.
Up until now, I had only smelled one example - and that was at the ShaverShop. I hated it. But, I assumed that it was just cheap and nasty.
Now in front of me, I had five or six 'real' samples to try. I was looking forward to it... Sadly it was all downhill from there.
I hate to say it, but Bay Rum makes me physically ill - I go full dry-heave. I can't remember the names of most of them. But, the worst was probably 'Dr. Jon's Anne Bonny'. Apparently I just don't handle cloves well.

Interestingly, I own Wolfpac Shavings's 'Silk Road'. This soap performs excellently. However, it contains some clove oil and as a result is one of the least used in my collection. I'll probably trade/pif it and get something from Wolfpac that is more to my tastes. I hate seeing it go to waste.

I'll follow up with actual usage tomorrow.

Cheers Gents.

Last edited:
great comments mate!

24206063618_cd550c9d24_c.jpg

Soap: Dr Jon's Anne Bonny
Razor: Merkur 39C Slant
Blade: Permasharp (1)
Brush: Omega 48
Balm: APR AC Balm
AS: Was the long vial with rose pink liquid. Label's unreadable. Any ideas?
Picked up the travelling box today. So much stuff to try! Thanks @Mark1966 and P&C for the opportunity to try such a variety. Just so happened I hadn't shaved this morning so slipped in an evening shave which I never do but there's so much stuff to try.
There's no way I'm getting through all of this in a couple of weeks so I did a rough sort today and put aside items that I don't really like off first impressions. eg. Pekka Fresh Aquatic Scent
@lerenau , Oatmeal Stout would not of made it through this sort unless others like yourself were enthusiastic about Shaver Heaven products. I just don't like the scent of the Oatmeal Stout.
Unfortunately some of the labels are unreadable now so you guys may be able to help with identification.

First up was Dr Jon's Anne Bonny. I like the scent but not in love with it. As a take on Bay Rum to me it lacks some backbone. I don't go looking for vegan soaps and am not too sure what specifically attracts those that do but I was very happy with how this soap lathered and performed. Ticked all the boxes for me. I like the look of the ingredient list. Looked at Maggards blurb on Anne Bonny which claimed you would need no after balm as the soap is so moisturising. I've got dry skin so this did not hold true for me. Perfect opportunity to try APR Alfredus Choice Balm which left no greasy feel and seemed to moisturise the skin nicely. Finished up with the long vial of AS on which the label is now unreadable that contained rose pink fluid so someone may remember what it is. I won't remember it as it's nice but but not a stand out for me.
So interesting start, I would be happy to own any of these products I tried today but not motivated to rush out and buy them - unless I was a member of a shave forum that enabled product addiction in it's members.:)