Paste & Cut Travelling Box #4B - Reviews and Comments

A Completely Disastrous Shave

Squadron Group Captain Blend Soap
Smells great but this was a terrible shave. Two big weepers and a proper slice on my lip that is still bleeding after alum and balled up loo paper. I'm assuming there is something wrong with me today because soap can't nick you. It has the same slickness issue I've found with Ace. I've only really enjoyed Warden out of the range as its performed the best with me and my technique. Argh. Feel like an utter newbie. I so wanted to enjoy GCB!

Myrsol F Extra AS
Couldnt get the spray to work and decided it was a sign that I needed APR Mycroft AS instead to cheer me up. Followed by the EdP.

Wow. Sad that my last shave with the box was so terrible. I'm posting the whole kit to Melbourne soon after grabbing a few more samples so I can post while it is in transport. I'll retire the New SC for a while though because I'm angry with it.

A Completely Disastrous Shave

Squadron Group Captain Blend Soap
Smells great but this was a terrible shave. Two big weepers and a proper slice on my lip that is still bleeding after alum and balled up loo paper. I'm assuming there is something wrong with me today because soap can't nick you. It has the same slickness issue I've found with Ace. I've only really enjoyed Warden out of the range as its performed the best with me and my technique. Argh. Feel like an utter newbie. I so wanted to enjoy GCB!

Myrsol F Extra AS
Couldnt get the spray to work and decided it was a sign that I needed APR Mycroft AS instead to cheer me up. Followed by the EdP.

Wow. Sad that my last shave with the box was so terrible. I'm posting the whole kit to Melbourne soon after grabbing a few more samples so I can post while it is in transport. I'll retire the New SC for a while though because I'm angry with it.

Sorry to hear that this ended on a bad note for you :(

Appreciate hearing your thoughts anyway!

Had some free time and so the box is sent to @Normie!

As I used the very last of the Pinaud Special Reserve I slipped in a Whispers sample I had. The vial of Pinaud is still inside for sniff purposes.

I will continue to post from samples of soap I scooped until it arrives. Think I'm using the Wilkinson Sticky with Polsilvers for those ones.

First shave with the box last night.
Pulled out the APR Mycroft to see what all the hype is about. I'm not sure if my prep was under done or what was wrong, but I felt as though the soap gave my skin a small amount of irritation. Nothing visible or obvious, just a kind of tingle which was mildly unpleasant. I enjoyed the scent, and will endeavour to give this one another go with better prep.

Used the Myrsol Antesol and F/Extra as aftershave and the skin felt pretty good.

I've picked out a few more soaps to try, and will experiment with a number of the after shaves too. Looking forward to playing and seeing what I like.

Pulled out the APR Mycroft to see what all the hype is about. I'm not sure if my prep was under done or what was wrong, but I felt as though the soap gave my skin a small amount of irritation.

If any skin irritation occurs again my advice would be to immediately stop using the product and not to ever use it again.

It is possible one of the essential oils or absolutes is causing a reaction with your skin, all my perfumes are IFRA compliant however there are a small percentage of people in the population that will experience a reaction, even when the compounds are well within the tolerable and recommended range.

Saturday's shave:
I used the Extreme Arctic Mango for this shave.
I already have a couple of pucks of Arctic Mango, but I wanted to see the difference between the regular and extreme versions.
The difference is certainly noticeable, without being overpowering. I enjoyed the feel, and would probably be happy to include it in my bathroom.
As usual, the Shaver Heaven soap performed well and I don't think the extra menthol affected the lather at all.
After the shave, I splashed on a bit of the Classic Reserve A/S.
Smells good, but left my skin wanting more.

Monday morning shave:
Cracked out the WITW Spearmint, Lavender and Vetyver this morning.
Great scent, and the lather was good also.
Finished off with APR Pork Chop. The scent is probably not one I would normally be drawn to, but it is a great scent nonetheless.
I was surprised by the amount of oils in the A/S, it certainly left my face feeling fantastic and I can still smell faint whiffs of the scent even now.

Wednesday Morning:
Gave the Reef Point Dragons Blood a whirl Wednesday morning.
The scent was not one I would normally pick, and it did nothing spectacularly to win me over this time.
Also, I found the lather to be lacking. Not sure I can put my finger on it exactly, but it was sub par.

Used the Myrsol Antesol as an aftershave. I like the Myrsol products, they function as they should and they are not overpowering at all.
In fact, they easily allow a fragrance to be applied without a trace of the aftershave at all.
Followed up with one of the APR balms, SA aftershave balm.
This one feels great on the face, not too greasy at all.
I don't have particularly oily skin, nor dry, and this balm felt fantastic on the skin.
As for the scent, well it gets the nod from Mrs Normie... ;)

Friday Morning:
Used the Local Gent Shaving Co Lime Street on Friday.
Nice subtle scent, with a decent lather. Felt fairly protective and worked well but lacking in the touch up phase of a shave.

Have read about the infamous "Cat O' Nine Tails" A/S on here before, and decided that I needed to expose myself to the dangers of this splash.
I sprayed on a decent covering, and was a bit disappointed by the lack of burn. Then all of a sudden BOOM, there it was!
Quite an intense burn, which was slow to start but certainly lived up to the hype of others...

Sunday Shave:
Used the full set of Mycroft again, had plenty of time so I made sure my pre shave routine was up to scratch.
No issues this time around, no tingling or unwanted sensations. I dare say that last time I used the soap my prep was far from up to scratch.
Anyway, the products used were amazing. Great lather from the soap, and the scent is fantastic. Fairly subtle, but still noticeable.
Certainly not as subdued as Myrsol, but also not as in your face as some other aftershaves out there.
I will certainly be looking to get some APR in the future!

This mornings shave:
Gave the Dr Jon's Anne Bonny a run this morning.
The lather was good, and the scent is quite nice.
Upon applying the aftershave I was greeted by a decent sting, letting me know that the blade used was maybe at its end of life...
The skin around the corners of my mouth was a little dry about an hour or so after shaving.
Applied some TSW After Balm, and all is right with the world again.

Applied some TSW After Balm, and all is right with the world again.

It does have that magical property I'm told!

Come home to find the box waiting for me tonight. Have sort of sorted through it to see what i might like to try after at first being overwhelmed by the amountof stuff in there and being an absolutely obsessed beer nerd have decided to give the shaver heaven oatmeal stout soap a run in the morning.

Had my first shave with the box today. Used the oatmeal stout soap and while the lather was great with very good slickness the scent was not all that good. When i think of an oatmeal stout chocolate and coffee notes are what comes to mind but the soap didnt have either of these but more of an oily oatmeal smell. However i finished up with apr pork chop splash and am really enjoying it. To my amateur nose it is very lightly smoky with a sharp cedar note and hiding in the background is the smell of deep fried pork fat like you get in asian noodle dishes. Very nice.

This morning i decided to go with the henri et victoria cigars and cognac soap.i dont normally like tobacco scents all that much for example i pifed squadron group captains blend to a friend after 1 shave based on scent but for some reason i really liked this one quite a bit it does have the cigar type scent but it is subtle and blends with the other components nicely.performance is excellent too it does require a bit of work to lather properly but its worth it and rewards with a great protective lather and post shave face feel.after i used the pitralon swiss after shave which is a nice sweet and subtle scent. Overall another nice shave that left me feeling a million bucks.

i used the cat o nine tails as yesterday and it is a good bay rum scent that left my face feeling nice and was fairly log lasting.
this morning i grabbed a rapira blade chucked it in the fatboy and gave it a run along with squadron sweetheart.the blade was sharp and smooth and i wouldn't hesitate to buy some more. the soap was a nice scent of sweet musk sticks and gave a good lather and protection only lacking slightly in residual slickness for me. i finished up with myrsol antesol. i cant really describe the scent but it is nice although not something that stands out from the pack in any way.

After skipping a shave yesterday due to an extremely early start at work i got back into the contents of the box this morning. Stuck with the rapira blade in the fatboy again and the blade is still smooth and sharp.i normally get 3 shaves out of most blades except for gsb that can go on to 5 so it will be interesting if this blade goes all the way which seems likely atm.todays soap was the reef point dragons blood that opens up with incense reminding me of the magic shop opposite trade school when i was younger but fades to a more mellow sandalwood scent through the shave.the lather whipped up quite fast and provided a good close shave but left my face a bit dry. So i finished up with general ledger balm that moisturised my face well without leaving it greasy.