Perma-Sharp Supers: Try some today!

Didn't work for me here. I hope you have better luck.

The behaviour around here really is rather ungentlemenly sometimes. [insert smiley of choice to show that this was a tongue in check comment in case any Yanks are reading]

If it ever gets gentlemenly, I'm getting the ban stick out.

I don't care if the yanks are reading, they've already banned me. Best thing that ever happened to me online.

Had my 2nd. Two days growth and these blades can't shift it from my chin without 4+ passes.

My mileage varieth.

I'm with Drubs - Permasharp were anything but for me - Instadull would be nearer the mark. Running them in all the usual suspects (here that's a 1921 New Improved, Red Tip Rocket, Slimbo, Gibbs "deux coupes", Rotbart Mond Extra) they were "meh", not out and out crap (I can recommend the "Laser Extra" for that - available from WilkinsonPlus | Corporate | Home and nowhere else I've found - not to be confused with the "Laser Ultra" from India which is an OK blade)

It just reinforces my view that Drubs and Hunnymonster are two very strange individuals and are obviously alien in origin. Say hi to the Men in Black for me fellas.

Drubs do you want a lend of my EJ86 to try them in?

Oh I just got my pack of blades today too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I'm sure he'll love to have a try, I don't think a different razor is going to make that much difference. Was just using this as an opportunity to give Drubbing a serious razor acquisition disorder. He suffers from all the other ones so why not. Don't think it's going to work. I've been trying for ages.

Thanks but no thanks all.

I know an avg blade when I use one. And this is one of them. Nothing wrong with that and that's maybe that's some people want. But for me, this isn't much more than a cheap Personna Red; not very sharp but pretty smooth and forgiving. If Iridium's were just like this, then I'm not missing anything. I'll use this one, but I'm pretty sure there'll be no magical 3rd shave epiphany of superbness.

Hunnymonster, you were always my favourite poster, and so generous and intelligent too.

Last edited:
I got my pack o blades yesterday and had a go with one this morning in the Progress.

I didn't dial it to anything; it did a pretty good shave. Used Palmolive stick soap and the ol badger brush.

I'd say it was as good as a new Astra, not as sharp as a feather but it's not too bad. If I did a blind test, I wouldn't be able to pick it out amongst five or six other blades.

I'll give it a few more shaves and maybe dial to 3 and see how it performs.

Thanks but no thanks all.

I know an avg blade when I use one. And this is one of them. Nothing wrong with that and that's maybe that's some people want. But for me, this isn't much more than a cheap Personna Red; not very sharp but pretty smooth and forgiving. If Iridium's were just like this, then I'm not missing anything. I'll use this one, but I'm pretty sure there'll be no magical 3rd shave epiphany of superbness.

Hunnymonster, you were always my favourite poster, and so generous and intelligent too.
I tried iridiums and wasn't impressed, like you went back to personna reds and astras.
GBEs were good though, if only for their longevity - their first few shaves has nothing on a RP or astra - , but not worth the trouble and price getting them.

So I got up to shave number 4 and left it at that. Was a pretty average shave. Still not bad for a 20c blade.

I used the same blade again and this time had it set to 3 on the Progress.

A very smooth shave but I found I had to go over the same areas a few times, also nicked myself on the neck on a flat area which was unusual.

I didn't feel the blade, it felt smooth and very little feedback.

I'll finish the pack out and see how the rest go.

Next step is to try my EJ86 with a PSS.

Todays shave was not that great, it felt rough and I managed to cut myself again.

This was again in the Progress.

I did want these blades to be great especially after RM talked them up but maybe they just aren't suited to my skin/technique.

I too thought the third shave a bit rough but that could also be due to my face being a bit touchy after my recent discovery that Palmolive doesn't agree with me. I'll give it a fourth in a day or two. All this DE blade stuff is putting my SEs in the back of the line. Not good.

I too thought the third shave a bit rough but that could also be due to my face being a bit touchy after my recent discovery that Palmolive doesn't agree with me. I'll give it a fourth in a day or two. All this DE blade stuff is putting my SEs in the back of the line. Not good.

I am shocked - try to convert me to the SE side and go running back to your DE tarts at the first opportunity I may have to go out and buy a Gillette Mach 9 (or whatever the hell their up to) just to put you in your place!! :)

I am shocked - try to convert me to the SE side and go running back to your DE tarts at the first opportunity I may have to go out and buy a Gillette Mach 9 (or whatever the hell their up to) just to put you in your place!! :)

I know. Normally I don't use a DE blade for more than two possibly three shaves and then I'm back to an SE blade. I just thought I'd have a go to see if I could confirm that a DE blade will last as long as an SE blade and to determine what makes RM tick. Haven't determined either as yet. I'm not sure if the PSS will last 5 or more shaves and I still think that in comparison to the weapon that is an SE blade, the DE blade is still a 'orribly thin dangerous lookin' thing.

I know. Normally I don't use a DE blade for more than two possibly three shaves and then I'm back to an SE blade. I just thought I'd have a go to see if I could confirm that a DE blade will last as long as an SE blade and to determine what makes RM tick. Haven't determined either as yet. I'm not sure if the PSS will last 5 or more shaves and I still think that in comparison to the weapon that is an SE blade, the DE blade is still a 'orribly thin dangerous lookin' thing.

In that case you are forgiven :)

Shave no four wasn't bad at all. Haven't got much to compare it to as I don't normally bother to try past three. I really need to get back to the trusted SEs so I'm not sure if no five is on the cards.

Tried a new blade in the DE86 this morning. Not bad but certainly not as close as with the Fatboy/Slim. BBS cheeks but the 'hook' under the jawline could have been closer.

It is however very even, not patchy at all. Was a very decent shave.

I'm due for a new blade in my DE86 also, but tbh, now that I have a Progress, I find myself using the DE86 less and less. It just feels stodgy in comparison to the Progress.

Had my first try of these today.

On the plus side:
Really smooth
Plenty sharp enough

On the negative side:
Couldn't seem to shave that closely

I will persist with them for a bit as they had the edge over the Derby for in shave feel. The Derby holds the edge in the shave result but I've had a fair bit more practice with them.

Shave #2 on these...

Not really feeling the love Razormonsta. Still super smooth but the closeness is really lacking for me. I persisted and got my chin nice and close but at the cost of some razor burn which I haven't inflicted on myself in a long time. I forgot how the Proraso splash has a bit of bite if the shave is rough!

I think red pack personna has the edge on the PSS at this stage. Almost as smooth but a lot closer shaving on less passes for me so far.

I'm gonna put the PSS in the Merkur HD for #3 shave and see if a more aggressive razor helps the blade out.