Sabbatical For 2022?

tim33z

King of 'Spoilers' 2019!
Grand Society
2018 Sabbatical Fail
At the time of writing, only 20 days remain until the year is over. Some thoughts crossed my mind.

Ever since I got my polished Vector in, all thrill of buying new shave related goods has disappeared.

I’ve done a count of my shaving soaps, excluded some sticks, tubes or other lesser quality ‘locally made’ stuff and totalled 54 tubs. Whilst this is not half of what some of you here may have, my thrill of chasing near every new release has gone away. What I have are some epic things which are no longer made either in base, brand or scent. I’ve got my favourites and would rather use them than have to throw them away.

I’d my mighty pissed off if I one day got to the back of the cupboard to find lifeforms beginning to colonise in my prized soaps.

I have over 35 different aftershaves, and I am not one to have to match my shave. I’m happy to smell like the splash I use, this week I’ve used the same soap and different splashes depending on my mood or the weather that presents itself for the day.

Blades- I have thousands of all different varieties. Fair to say that “I’m set” in this area.

The razors I own all serve a purpose. It’s been hard to put down my Vector with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. This is perfectly suited for my face. But I’ve been using my ATT slant S1 for a few days and reminded how great it shaves. There’s a handful of razors I wouldn’t mind trying but exchange rates would need to improve considerably to push me over the edge.

Brushes are my kryptonite. It’s difficult for me to say no when a new DG batch drops, but so far I’ve resisted on B14’s offerings. I know these are pricey motherf*****s but I truely believe nothing else feels quite the same. The different batches have their own personality and I can choose what I want each morning as to how I want my brush to feel.

So, with all this said, I’m giving myself the target to buy zero shave wares in 2022. Much like @Gargravarr has succeeded the year (I think?) and not so much like @Razor Burn or @StratMan epically failed 3/4 through the year.

Anyone is welcome to join me in whatever fashion you like. Maybe you’re fine for razors but need blades, or maybe you will allow 2 x new soaps or splashes through the year! Surely you are entitled a free pass for a P&C Auction, go bananas there!

Make your own rules and stick to them. Reduce those stashes of items and enjoy what you bought in years gone past!

Let me know if you have thoughts to do anything similar next year.

I’ll give it a go, the mrs has agreed if I can do all next year with nothing then I’m clear for landing a vector with no commentary whether SS or TI
May just pick up 1 more soap to carry me out for sure though before years end.

I’ll give it a go, the mrs has agreed if I can do all next year with nothing then I’m clear for landing a vector with no commentary whether SS or TI
May just pick up 1 more soap to carry me out for sure though before years end.
Southern Witchcrafts released a new scent today and I almost caved because I rate the shit outta their soap base. But I have at least 4-5 years worth of soaps already.

If I somehow go 2 of the next few years without increasing my stash, I can be as sure as my butthole points to the ground, that there will be more new releases!

I'm too embarrassed about my existing banner ...

(really @Monsta_AU - can I EVER live it down?)

Like the guy who posted above you?
And the guy who posted above him??

There should be a five year 'statute of limitations' on them ...

Ever since I got my polished Vector in, all thrill of buying new shave related goods has disappeared.
The Vector has well and truly killed my RAD too, though I have to admit my juices get stirred from time to time by the Blutt Rasur. Maybe because there's a certain minimalism of the aesthetic involved. I am very tempted, but I only have to think for a moment or two about how well the Vector performs, and how truly "minimal" it is, and I forget about splashing any more money around, especially since I've already got rid of all my DE blades.

That said, I can't realistically continue my sabbatical into 2022 without causing deprivation on the blade front, given my newfound preference for Prolines in the Vector. (I like Supers for the Hawk V3.) I also want to explore a few more milled soaps, and I particularly want to try MdC Rose. And I share a kryptonite (but with synthetics), I really want a Troycraft brush with a 28mm AP G5C knot.

This year has been great for resisting impulse buys and has saved me a heap of $$$, and I'll most likely be back for another hiatus in 2023.

IM IN @tim33z (y)(y)(y)

The only thing I am waiting last minute is to add some Blue Devil balm/splash and a backup SE razor to supplement my Vector Ti with the choice narrowed down between Stando Polska SE or Hawk V3, considering that the Vector SS is currently unavailable.
Barring all else, 2021 has allowed me the opportunity to add some desired items and I look forward to spending 2022 enjoying what I own and moving on items that don't get the love that they deserve.

IM IN @tim33z (y)(y)(y)

The only thing I am waiting last minute is to add some Blue Devil balm/splash and a backup SE razor to supplement my Vector Ti with the choice narrowed down between Stando Polska SE or Hawk V3, considering that the Vector SS is currently unavailable.
Barring all else, 2021 has allowed me the opportunity to add some desired items and I look forward to spending 2022 enjoying what I own and moving on items that don't get the love that they deserve.
@Razor Burn don’t be a hairy sabbatical whooshies, sabbatical isn’t bloody worth it.

IM IN @tim33z (y)(y)(y)
You might also want to consider the Colonial General V2 (currently only head available), which @Pbgoose has said even edges out the Vector :woot:. I'm not sure that's possible, and from an aesthetic point of view IMO he's plainly wrong :p but food for thought nevertheless.

Early in this sabbatical I seriously considered the ATT X1 SE slant, but having perfected the so-called Gillette Slide, which makes slants redundant (and also having read @Errol's somewhat scathing review) I discarded that idea. However, the ATT SE1 still captures some of my attention.

The Vector has well and truly killed my RAD too, though I have to admit my juices get stirred from time to time by the Blutt Rasur. Maybe because there's a certain minimalism of the aesthetic involved. I am very tempted, but I only have to think for a moment or two about how well the Vector performs, and how truly "minimal" it is, and I forget about splashing any more money around, especially since I've already got rid of all my DE blades.

That said, I can't realistically continue my sabbatical into 2022 without causing deprivation on the blade front, given my newfound preference for Prolines in the Vector. (I like Supers for the Hawk V3.) I also want to explore a few more milled soaps, and I particularly want to try MdC Rose. And I share a kryptonite (but with synthetics), I really want a Troycraft brush with a 28mm AP G5C knot.

This year has been great for resisting impulse buys and has saved me a heap of $$$, and I'll most likely be back for another hiatus in 2023.

I bought the MDC rose recently and I haven't used it yet. I can scoop out some and mail it to you if you wish to try before buying.

You might also want to consider the Colonial General V2 (currently only head available), which @Pbgoose has said even edges out the Vector :woot:. I'm not sure that's possible, and from an aesthetic point of view IMO he's plainly wrong :p but food for thought nevertheless.

Early in this sabbatical I seriously considered the ATT X1 SE slant, but having perfected the so-called Gillette Slide, which makes slants redundant (and also having read @Errol's somewhat scathing review) I discarded that idea. However, the ATT SE1 still captures some of my attention.

6 months ago I would've happily settled getting a Blutt or Wolfman as the Taiga was out of stock and mixed thoughts on the Flexi Pearl but having recently added the Alpha Outlaw DE and Vector Ti, my RAD is effectively cured. Add the Smart Helix Apollo and Rocca to the mix and my shaving needs are met as they all shave exceptionally well for my needs.

Having tried the Hawk V3 has convinced me that I need one more mid-aggressive SE razor to compliment my Vector and ideally the Vector SS would solve the itch as amazing shaves but not in a position to wait till they restock and most of the premium SE razors are either unavailable or out of my budget, so I have decided I'll grab a Stando "Rod" with spare Classic SE head as much prefer the production quality over the Hawk and call things quits at least until 2023 when I can revaluate whether I really need a SS Vector.

I might add a last minute handle from Billy Goats Brushworks to go with a G4 knot I recently purchased and that will give me 31 brushes in total so each day of the month covered. Just as many soaps, splashes that must be used prior to even contemplating adding anything new with every season covered, not to mention hundreds of blades that I can safely use a blade a day and not need any replacement for many a year.

There comes a time when you look at what you have and say enough is enough and barring the Charity Auction or @Pbgoose releasing his soaps, I've settled on what I have and look forward to tightening the purse strings in 2022 as the last few years have been insane for me and I have more important things tp spend $$$ on... Bring on Sabbatical 2022!!! :p:p:p

You should create a “who’s buying the most?” Thread for the other half of guys here? Or 99.9% even?
I'll be the first to admit that when I get going I normally don't stop but compared to some members, hmmm @SpeedyPC or @rhodes96, my collection of gear is quite limited...
"Hi, my name is Razor Burn and I have a wet shaving acquisition disorder...":arghh:
In all seriousness my collection pales in size when compared to most members, especially @rhodes96 or @SpeedyPC but then again when I get a roll on I tend to go hard as evident the last two years. :banghead:
Planning on finalising some last minute supplies next week and shutting up shop in anticipation for what I hope is a successfully year of burning through existing supplies as some of my soaps/splashes are 2+ years old and need some much needed love!!! (y)

I'll be the first to admit that when I get going I normally don't stop but compared to some members, hmmm @SpeedyPC or @rhodes96, my collection of gear is quite limited...
"Hi, my name is Razor Burn and I have a wet shaving acquisition disorder...":arghh:
In all seriousness my collection pales in size when compared to most members, especially @rhodes96 or @SpeedyPC but then again when I get a roll on I tend to go hard as evident the last two years. :banghead:
Planning on finalising some last minute supplies next week and shutting up shop in anticipation for what I hope is a successfully year of burning through existing supplies as some of my soaps/splashes are 2+ years old and need some much needed love!!! (y)

I may have alot of soaps, my razor and brush collection is very limited. I was able to offload 24 brushes and 6 razors, and 12 unused tubs of soap to a friends brother who is a keen wet shaver. Feels good that someone else will enjoy what I didn't get the chance too. Also recieved a helping hand packing up the soaps and other shave gear. ( yes @SpeedyPC I can now post up the pics for you).

For 2022, I have about 20 soaps and 6 razors I will use in rotation until I return every few months pending covid.:rolleyes: Although I won't be having any sabbaticals, I won't be having much time to myself to enjoy new shave gear as family commitments and sorting out my health issues are my priority.

I may have alot of soaps, my razor and brush collection is very limited. I was able to offload 24 brushes and 6 razors, and 12 unused tubs of soap to a friends brother who is a keen wet shaver. Feels good that someone else will enjoy what I didn't get the chance too. Also recieved a helping hand packing up the soaps and other shave gear. ( yes @SpeedyPC I can now post up the pics for you).

For 2022, I have about 20 soaps and 6 razors I will use in rotation until I return every few months pending covid.:rolleyes: Although I won't be having any sabbaticals, I won't be having much time to myself to enjoy new shave gear as family commitments and sorting out my health issues are my priority.
Best wishes mate and thanks again for the generosity sending me some premium soap samples and blades, especially the Minora & Reds as it held me over during my Sabbatical months. (y)(y)(y)