Sabbatical For 2022?

2022 only, pfft. How about sabbatical until 2025?
giphy.gif

At the time of writing, only 20 days remain until the year is over. Some thoughts crossed my mind.

Ever since I got my polished Vector in, all thrill of buying new shave related goods has disappeared.

I’ve done a count of my shaving soaps, excluded some sticks, tubes or other lesser quality ‘locally made’ stuff and totalled 54 tubs. Whilst this is not half of what some of you here may have, my thrill of chasing near every new release has gone away. What I have are some epic things which are no longer made either in base, brand or scent. I’ve got my favourites and would rather use them than have to throw them away.

I’d my mighty pissed off if I one day got to the back of the cupboard to find lifeforms beginning to colonise in my prized soaps.

I have over 35 different aftershaves, and I am not one to have to match my shave. I’m happy to smell like the splash I use, this week I’ve used the same soap and different splashes depending on my mood or the weather that presents itself for the day.

Blades- I have thousands of all different varieties. Fair to say that “I’m set” in this area.

The razors I own all serve a purpose. It’s been hard to put down my Vector with a Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. This is perfectly suited for my face. But I’ve been using my ATT slant S1 for a few days and reminded how great it shaves. There’s a handful of razors I wouldn’t mind trying but exchange rates would need to improve considerably to push me over the edge.

Brushes are my kryptonite. It’s difficult for me to say no when a new DG batch drops, but so far I’ve resisted on B14’s offerings. I know these are pricey motherf*****s but I truely believe nothing else feels quite the same. The different batches have their own personality and I can choose what I want each morning as to how I want my brush to feel.

So, with all this said, I’m giving myself the target to buy zero shave wares in 2022. Much like @Gargravarr has succeeded the year (I think?) and not so much like @Razor Burn or @StratMan epically failed 3/4 through the year.

Anyone is welcome to join me in whatever fashion you like. Maybe you’re fine for razors but need blades, or maybe you will allow 2 x new soaps or splashes through the year! Surely you are entitled a free pass for a P&C Auction, go bananas there!

Make your own rules and stick to them. Reduce those stashes of items and enjoy what you bought in years gone past!

Let me know if you have thoughts to do anything similar next year.
How does one get onto those DG drops?

How does one get onto those DG drops?
It’s really super easy these days. He announces beforehand when they occur, and opens up pre-order spaces where you choose the specs you desire and then pay.

He does a “new” pour and you can get one of these as they ship first, or choose the preorder option and it’ll be a few weeks.

Drop link
Pro tip: send it to planet express to save postage costs.
Last time the preorder was open for half a day or more and I used all my might to not hit buy.

At the moment I am happy with my current collection, though with the arrival of the Blutt I have to make a conscious effort to rotate my razors. I've made up my mind not to buy any more soaps as at my rate of usage my small-ish collection of 15 soaps would last me a very long time. So I'm on sabbatical for soaps for as long as they last at least.

I was keen on the Blackland Era for a while, but the Blutt firmly pushed that out of my mind. I think I would get a Vector (SS or Ti) as soon as one becomes available again... or if any member here wishes to part with his, consider me first in line. Though I better not hold my breath it seems.
Not sure about 15 soaps being enough. Unless they're milled soaps, that is. My last count of soaps I've used up in this sabbatical year came to 9 (from the finished products sticky), but I forgot a tin of Simpson's Lavender & Vetiver. So you could be cutting it a bit fine... ;)

I hadn't realised the Ti Vector is now sold out as well, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm as happy as ever with my SS version, it's by far the best razor I've ever used. But if the Blutt shaves as good as it looks, I can see why it might have killed your RAD. (y)

Not sure about 15 soaps being enough. Unless they're milled soaps, that is. My last count of soaps I've used up in this sabbatical year came to 9 (from the finished products sticky), but I forgot a tin of Simpson's Lavender & Vetiver. So you could be cutting it a bit fine... ;)
We'll see, 5 of them are milled soaps :p

I hadn't realised the Ti Vector is now sold out as well, but I can't say I'm surprised. I'm as happy as ever with my SS version, it's by far the best razor I've ever used. But if the Blutt shaves as good as it looks, I can see why it might have killed your RAD. (y)
Not going to lie, the Blutt drew me 90% in on pretty much its looks alone; the fact it shaves well is a bonus. I've come to appreciate a certain level of aesthetic since the start of this hobby; the Rocca and the Blutt sit at the top of my collection for the moment, each with their own qualities. Those two are going to serve as the benchmark that's going to inform my purchasing decisions moving forward. The Yaqi Raster is the curve-ball that's got me gassing for a Vector; I really do enjoy shaving with it. But as they say: nice legs, shame about the face.

Not sure I can last that long, after all it's been 5 years already!

Will give it a go though.
Yeah, I don't remember when I last bought something shaving related. Maybe a Yaqi head and brush 2 years go

One more day to top up your shave kit before taking a year off buying!

I can’t remember who is joining up, so add your name below if you are.

Razor Burn is all in for the Sabbatical! :cool:

Being an honest man, I just ordered 2 new soaps which of course won’t arrive until next year. BaM Vespers and Taiga.

No cheating here

:ROFLMAO: Looking forward to a restrained but nonetheless exhilarating freedom from Sabbatical 2021. Remind me, how many survivors are left, besides myself?

Why not, I need another banner.
With hundreds of blades, 20ish soaps, couple of bottles of witch hazel I'm good for several years.

Count me in.

Why not, I need another banner.
With hundreds of blades, 20ish soaps, couple of bottles of witch hazel I'm good for several years.

Count me in.
I can’t make a banner, but I can do a sweet meme for you to use on successful completion.

One more day to top up your shave kit before taking a year off buying!

I can’t remember who is joining up, so add your name below if you are.
I’m going ahead with it.
Making a last minute purchase, can’t find the empire soap so have to make my mind up quick what to replace with as they’ve sold out for now that I can find

Me, since mid 2016

Well that is because you are STILL 'full of Vision Collision'!

What a blast from the past - nice to 'see' you mate

To satisfy my mind and have something in the post, I’ve made several purchases.

Two bags of dog food for one dog, and 6 bags for another. Add in some medications and call it a thousand bucks spent. In other words… two mint toggles worth?

Two bags of dog food for one dog, and 6 bags for another. Add in some medications and call it a thousand bucks spent. In other words… two mint toggles worth?
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea to me. I lost one of my dogs to a snake just over a month ago, and it's a sad wrench to have to buy food for just one. I've spent about a grand on shaving accoutrements (and then some) in the last week, but I'd give it all up and grow a beard to have that little dog back. :cry: