September 2017 Acquisition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_0946_zpsipzjiy94.jpg

Refinished fatboy, Simpson commodore and a merkur slant :)
It's been a good day

Nice!!
The Commodore (X1 & X2) was my favourite badger brush from Simpsons (back when i was into badger brushes).
I love badger brushes but have never had a reason to go past whipped dog but figured I'd take a punt

I love badger brushes but have never had a reason to go past whipped dog but figured I'd take a punt

I hope you enjoy it mate!!

Not to discourage you from your venture but i found whipped dog badger to be the best for me. After i had tried higher end badgers such as several Simpsons, a couple of shavemacs and borrowed a rare Rooney... i quickly realised the major difference was higher density, which i actually didn't like!! The chubby & DO1 were particularly dense and horrible... i hated them!!

That's when i realised whipped dog silvertip and the TGN 2 band finest (the pre-2011 version, not the modern gel tip version) were my favorites!

The TGN 2 band is the only badger brush I've kept!!

Not to discourage you from your venture but i found whipped dog badger to be the best for me. After i had tried higher end badgers such as several Simpsons, a couple of shavemacs and borrowed a rare Rooney... i quickly realised the major difference was higher density, which i actually didn't like!! The chubby & DO1 were particularly dense and horrible... i hated them!!

That's when i realised whipped dog silvertip and the TGN 2 band finest (the pre-2011 version, not the modern gel tip version) were my favorites!

Sorry but I have to disagree here. Density is not the only variation with higher end knots. A lot of different high end knots display many different characteristics. Sure my Shavemac D01 is extremely dense and some people would not like it at all. It is indeed the most dense brush in my den but it is far from the most expensive.

For anyone looking to take a step up in their badger brush experience I have to recommend Paladin as a particularly outstanding proposition and they offer great value for money IMO.

Wow that's a big claim, honestly I've wanted a Simpson for a while, it's an icon really and much like my fatboy even if it dosnt get used all that much it's no biggie

Today's delivery was highly anticipated. After seeing the beautiful "Hucklaration" brush that @alfredus purchased and also admiring some of the other work from both Jeff Huck at Bristle Brushwerks and Scott from L&L Grooming/Declaration Brushworks I decided that I had to order my own brush. I commissioned a custom handle from Jeff which is a slight variation of one of his popular designs and then had it sent to Scott to have the knot set. The knot is a 24mm but is so dense that the bloom is absolutely monstrous. Final shot is after a quick test lather and I can tell that this brush is going to develop some lovely gooey gel tips and the knot is going to open up wonderfully. Looking forward to getting a few shaves in with this brush.

The pictures I got of it are truly awful and do the brush absolutely no justice. My sincerest apologies for this awful indiscretion :(.

zFmN3GC.jpg

x5DBcq9.jpg

2OArmM0.jpg

wl1B6rD.jpg

Sorry but I have to disagree here. Density is not the only variation with higher end knots. A lot of different high end knots display many different characteristics. Sure my Shavemac D01 is extremely dense and some people would not like it at all. It is indeed the most dense brush in my den but it is far from the most expensive.

For anyone looking to take a step up in their badger brush experience I have to recommend Paladin as a particularly outstanding proposition and they offer great value for money IMO.

As with everything in this hobby, YMMV.

I didn't assess The badger brushes with a pros and cons list as there's many pros of the badger brushes i used.

However, it came down the fact that just a couple of cons we enough for me to favour boar brushes above badger (density and time to create lather using my preferred method).

Now i use synthetics exclusively due to an improvement over boar brushes.

Soaps are what i enjoy most in this hobby and for me, utilitarianism applies to razor, blades and brushes... It's all about efficiency and results when it comes to the hardware (only the Progress and Rockwell 6S have made the cut so far with the Parker variant on the way. Polsilvers are the only blade i use with 7,000+ in my stash).
Soaps are the actual "hobby" part for me.

So whilst you may disagree... i would rather say you just have different perspectives and preferences than I do.

20170904_173331.jpg

My first AP Shave Co tuxedo is a 30mm monster with a small handle. I've got the 24mm Gamechanger from K Shave Worx as a bit of a reference. This baby is DENSE.
@Greenpike what loft hieght is the AP Shave Co tuxedo is a 30mm monster, and could you please do another photo hold the brush in your hand so I can get a rough idea of the handle size.

Cheers (y)

Today's delivery was highly anticipated. After seeing the beautiful "Hucklaration" brush that @alfredus purchased and also admiring some of the other work from both Jeff Huck at Bristle Brushwerks and Scott from L&L Grooming/Declaration Brushworks I decided that I had to order my own brush. I commissioned a custom handle from Jeff which is a slight variation of one of his popular designs and then had it sent to Scott to have the knot set. The knot is a 24mm but is so dense that the bloom is absolutely monstrous. Final shot is after a quick test lather and I can tell that this brush is going to develop some lovely gooey gel tips and the knot is going to open up wonderfully. Looking forward to getting a few shaves in with this brush.

The pictures I got of it are truly awful and do the brush absolutely no justice. My sincerest apologies for this awful indiscretion :(.

zFmN3GC.jpg

x5DBcq9.jpg

2OArmM0.jpg

wl1B6rD.jpg
Wonderful - congratulations @nsavage - and yes it is going to develop some of the gooiest crunch tips :D :D :D

GlZs6xq.jpg

Care package from B&M...first thoughts on the Fern is that it smells very similar to General Ledger, I can't wait to experience the fragrance once it's lathered later this week :)

That certainly is one very impressive brush @nsavage.

Status
Not open for further replies.