Shave of the Day 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I sat quietly sipping some bubbly I realised that SWWISBF had not wished to SBF for some times. I pondered and sipped away wondering if maybe Santa had hit me with an ugly stick on his way through. This thought forced me to get in front of a mirror and reassure myself I was still the devilishly handsome soul I always had been. Thus reassured I did notice that there was a fair amount of facial growth - not surprising since I hadn't shaved since Xmas day and I remembered that SWWISBF did not approve of hirsute faces. That being so I quickly put in a new SE blade and a new Slick Schick into the Slim. Lathered up with some Tabac and as I approached my face with the SE blade I chanted the Mantra of all who have put a new blade to their face "This bastard is really sharp This bastard is really sharp" after about ten repetitions I applied the blade gently to the lather and scraped away the worst of the fuzz, Of course by using the Thomas Method I was able to apply the DE with a new Schick in it with much vigour - end result super smooth (the other hoped for end result is none of your business).

Don't know about you bearded hippies but I'm still shaving.

Vulfix boar/badger.
Macca Root-Amazingly efficient stuff, one tiny dip of the brush and you're up to your elbows in lather.
Ye old bakelite razor with a Gillette Super Silver-Pretty much a MUM blade, three half decent shaves and that's all she wrote. No idea where the blade came from.

Might drag out my Gillette Black beauty adjustable and I'll have another attempt at weening myself off plastic razors.

Fatboy on 8
New Wilkinson Sword blade (date code F 2 white container no other markings and I don't know heritage)

Still using that same blade and the fb

variety of soaps/creams (I have a few to choose) and an A/S that takes my fancy

Completely shit shave today. I think the Aussie Gillette has hit its shelf life on the R41 so I will stop using that razor and blade combo.

It works fine in the Progress so might just stick to that for the last five blades until they're gone.

Proraso, boar, blade.

AS was jack Black Signature.

Completely shit shave today. I think the Aussie Gillette has hit its shelf life on the R41 so I will stop using that razor and blade combo.

It works fine in the Progress so might just stick to that for the last five blades until they're gone.

Proraso, boar, blade.

AS was jack Black Signature.

How many days with the Aussie?

I think five.
Pretty sure it's just the razor not the blade. I've had more shaves on the progress successfully.

Last edited:
First DE Shave ever this morning. Using the Astra blades, skin is left a little raw, used some Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, it claims after a few uses skin will be left less sensitive, tho I'm looking for a replacement to it, just what was cheap and accessible to me when I needed something. Using a porcelain bowl from woolies to build a lather. Still need some practise on building a bigger lather and shaving top to bottom on my neck/chin, just can't get the angle right and turn it around and do bottom to top.

First DE Shave ever this morning. Using the Astra blades, skin is left a little raw, used some Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm, it claims after a few uses skin will be left less sensitive, tho I'm looking for a replacement to it, just what was cheap and accessible to me when I needed something. Using a porcelain bowl from woolies to build a lather. Still need some practise on building a bigger lather and shaving top to bottom on my neck/chin, just can't get the angle right and turn it around and do bottom to top.

Nothing wrong with Nivea Post Shave. Been using it for years. It's fairly cheap, easily available everywhere, it works, has an OK scent and it comes in a glass bottle. If all the discomfort you've experienced after your fist shave is a bit of rawness, you're doing OK.
What other gear have you got?

I use nivea. It's actually pretty good in my opinion.
No shave today for me. It's too hot.

No Godrey at the Indian. They do have some really cheap ($5) Gillette synthetic brushes which was tempting. Just to try one out and see what synthetic is like as a fiber. I can always off load it to Drubbing. He likes them el-cheapo drug store brushes.

Back on the PSS last night. First outing always seems a little scratchy, but gets the result. Subsequent shaves are very smooth.

Used Harris Marlboro with the dregs of Tabac on top. Pretty sure one maker has copied the other with these soaps. Who got there first?

Astras are pretty sharp, newb hands can make them bite. Just take it easy. The blade is way sharp enough to do all the work, it's all down to finding that optimum cutting angle, and keeping it constant as you move it around. Might seem hard to begin with but it soon becomes second nature.

I don't find balm do much at all, beyond moisturise. Nivea isn't too bad and has some soothing ingredients in it, but the claims seem like bullshit. The only thing that will stop skin feeling sensitive is not raping it with a blade to begin with. Nothing beats a good Aftershave though for when we all butcher it at times. Ask around here and you'll get much the same answer...

PRORASO.

The green stuff. It can help you get through the rough shaves. I've been using it since I started this malarkey. Or Speick.

But prevention is what you're aiming for. Practice that lather. As with blade angle, it will make all the difference. Just want a wet youghurty look - not foamy or bubbly, or too thick n creamy. Start with a good amount of cream or soap on the brush. Add water sparingly.

Last edited:
I've only shaved once in 2014 so far!

But, it was a great combo:

Gillette NEW
Vintage Schick blade
TOBS Sandalwood
Simpson Colonel X2L

Three weeks of holiday whiskers DECIMATED

Saturday shave. Feather Str8 with ProGuard blades. Fantastic shave!!
Love that setup!

Yesterday saw the end of an era- the last use of my Arko stick that had been going since mid 2012!!

34C
Feather
Arko
Vie Long horse hair brush

Great shave, and a fitting end to this soap stick.

Monsta Edit: I smell a custom usertitle.

Last edited by a moderator:
ARKO! (Please note the capital letters and exclamation mark! In view of the unjustified urinal puck scent espoused by the olfactory challenged it needs all the help it can get.) is good stuff. Going to have a crack at my stick of ARKO! soon.

Meanwhile:

Vulfix boar.
TOBS Sandalwood-Puck I got from Drubbing in exchange for a tube of Proraso. Couldn't really detect much of a scent at all to be honest. Great lather though!
Bullet tip with GEM SS on No can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.