Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went back to the beginning where it all started. All the below are my my first purchases for DE shaving.
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Derby
Preshave : Proraso white
Shave cream : Proraso white
Brush: omega synthetic

Ok this is embarrassing. I've been bashing proraso for a while now, but this shave was great. One of the main things I look for is slikness and this had plenty of it ( probably to the Preshave but still).
The 89 was great also, I had vowed that I probably would not use it again. But Damn that was smooth.
I think my technique improved by going from a mild shaver and then moving to the aggressive.

You're no Lone Ranger there mate. Was going to list the Proraso Red on the BST - who wants this common stuff when you have top shelf artisans on the shelf - but thought I'd slum it for a laugh. Joke's on me, I've used nothing else for the last few shaves. This stuff is so good - great balance between cushion, protection and glide (post-shave feel is a little dry but I have an arsenal of next steps that can remedy that easily enough). Proraso was so good I'm trading with @vanNek to try the Green soap and pre-/post- shave. Not got my DE89 to try anymore...that's @Marlow Jnr's shaver now.

Mike's Coconut
Merkur 37c
Permasharp Super (2)
Vie-long Peleon
Prince/Aldi balm (keep your AS/balm in the fridge for an extra cooling effect)

Good 2 pass shave

The shaver heaven soap is not as bad as NN makes out to my noise. Agreed it isn't what I think of in a grapefruit scent but it's not bad. The lather is fantastic though. Considering I don't have much of a technique for soaps and only use face scrubbers I was pleasantly surprised how good the lather was.
I've been enjoying the Shaver Heaven soft soap (croap). Easy to get a good, thick lather. There's so many scents now that you're bound to find one or two you will enjoy. Its great having another local Aussie soap maker that makes some darn great soap! [emoji106][emoji106]

I think @Mark1966 was going to add some of @Anthony /Shaver Heaven soap to the next Travelling Box. [emoji4]

Brush: Vulfix Boar
Razor: Fatboy on 5
Blade: Aussie Gillette (3)
Soap: Wickhams Southsea Spray
A/S: Speick and 444
Sounds like a terrific shave combo!

Brush: 1305
Razor: Standard
Blade: SPP
Cream: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Agua Balsamica

OK, OK, I get what you guys bang on about with these vintage blades. The Schick Plus Platinum (SPP) loaded in the modern Standard was so, so nice. So nice that I finished with Myrsol's Agua Balsamica - to me this stuff smells like home and is akin to a fine polish rather than a healer of wounds or a bracer. Hate Mondays but I'm armed with a smile before I hit the floors at work.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Razor: Barbasol 'Floating Head'
Blade: Personna Lab Blue - shave 1
Cream: PannaCrema Vetiver
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

Well I gave the Barbasol its first run today, my thoughts are shown here.

Brush: Vintage butterscotch Simpson
Razor: Barbasol 'Floating Head'
Blade: Personna Lab Blue - shave 1
Cream: PannaCrema Vetiver
Aftershave: Lucky Tiger

Well I gave the Barbasol its first run today, my thoughts are shown here.
What do you think of the PannaCrema?

Brush: 1305
Razor: Standard
Blade: SPP
Cream: Proraso Red
Aftershave: Agua Balsamica

OK, OK, I get what you guys bang on about with these vintage blades. The Schick Plus Platinum (SPP) loaded in the modern Standard was so, so nice. So nice that I finished with Myrsol's Agua Balsamica - to me this stuff smells like home and is akin to a fine polish rather than a healer of wounds or a bracer. Hate Mondays but I'm armed with a smile before I hit the floors at work.
Good to hear the Standard getting some love after you running after those older razors. [emoji106]

It is perfectly acceptable. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm a hard taskmaster :)
Ok. So where does it rank in your list of soaps: Jabonman, Occams, Mike's, etc...?

...I think @Mark1966 was going to add some of @Anthony /Shaver Heaven soap to the next Travelling Box. [emoji4]

Was I? Am I? Do I have any? Mind like a sieve at the moment ....

Ok. So where does it rank in your list of soaps: Jabonman, Occams, Mike's, etc...?

Haven't tried the Jabonman or MdC but below Mike's and different to Occams which is more a croap...

Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Persona Lab Blue (2)
Cream: TMBR
Aftershave: Nivia Sensitive ASB

This is my second shave from the Weber, and I am loving it. More aggressive than your DE89 or 34C, but still gentle enough to use everyday. At first I was sceptical, because to my eye the head looks almost identical to the 34C. However, there is definitely a difference somewhere. Not sure where, but it feels quite different to shave with.

Loving my little piggy more and more. Does a great job. Currently in the process of breaking in my Omega 10066. It's still a bit stinky, but after a few more land-lathers in the shower, it will be ready to go.

LOVE the scent of TMBR. I find it intoxicating. However, I wasn't super impressed with my lather this morning. I think I may not have loaded up enough. I ran out of lather for the third pass and had to go back to the puck. Could have done with more glide too.

I'm not sure if it is the hot summer weather, but I find my lathers tend to dry out, both in the brush and sometimes on my face. I often need to add extra water to my face for the final bits, and a bit more into the brush for the third pass...

All in all, a very happy shave in the end. Close, comfortable, and the Nivea ASB is nice and light and perfect for summer.

Samples organised and ready for PCTB3 -

Now I can use the MdC, Mikes and Jabonman myself!

Now about that Shaver/Heaven @filobiblic ....

Old school SOTD
Proraso Red - it works
No Name brush it too works
Gillette Slim And Slick Schick - they always work.
As everything (except perhaps the Proraso Red) pre-dates digital photography - no pictures.
How do all these things compare to shaves not using these things - I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.