Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear the Standard getting some love after you running after those older razors. [emoji106]
Lovin' it mate. Have to try out the Weber again, but the Standard is great with a sharp blade on-board. Will try with the Feather again - maybe tomorrow.

Looks great Mark - when you thinking of sending this off? I'll throw in some Johnny GoodSir - soap and aftershave - before it leaves Canberra mate.

Not soon - just a teaser :)

Samples organised and ready for PCTB3 -

Now I can use the MdC, Mikes and Jabonman myself!

Now about that Shaver/Heaven @filobiblic ....
Hold your freaking horses.
I've still @Barrister & Mann samples to try myself before forwarding them to you as promised to Will.
May be a few more Stirling items to add to the mix if I get the chance to test them too.

Can we agree to do the blade sampler first, if ok with @Monsta_AU ?
I've access to enough of them to get that going, whereas the soaps packed away during renovations.

BTW, that black cherry has a delightful scent :)

• CRSW Savon #2
  • Gillette Slim 5 & 3
  • Shark SS (0)
  • Plisson synth
Hadn't used a Shark in a longtime- was the weak point in the shave and made me keep the Slim dialled in but decent performance especially at their penny prices. Really need someonew else to get some CRSW so its not just me saying how amazing their soaps are....so little loading and loads of premium lather via the Plisson, which is a star and absolute keeper. Good 3 pass shave but would have been a class up with a superior blade.

After using aaggressive razors it is nice to dial the Slim in low and polish your chin with almost reckless abandon on one's final pass.

Really need someonew else to get some CRSW so its not just me saying how amazing their soaps are....so little loading and loads of premium lather via the Plisson...
Maybe trade some of yours with @stillshunter who has put some items for trade in a new thread. [emoji6]

Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Nanny's Bamboo and White Grape with Goats Milk
Razor: iKon Shavecraft #102 head on Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Super/LB [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

I'm liking the scent of the Nanny's! Rich lather with a pleasant scent. Great face feel. It's a very soft soap.

Brush: Plisson Synthetic
Soap/Cream: Nanny's Bamboo and White Grape with Goats Milk
Razor: iKon Shavecraft #102 head on Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Personna Super/LB [2]
After-shave: Myrsol Formula C

I'm liking the scent of the Nanny's! Rich lather with a pleasant scent. Great face feel. It's a very soft soap.
...and the #102 how'd it go? BBS?

At the risk of sounding like a picky bugger where is the line between a croap and a cream these days? As it seems to me there are a lot of items that more resemble creams being sold by their makers as 'soaps'and then tagged as croaps by consumers.

Obviously it matters not what it is sold as when one discusses its merits BUT I can only assume that from a marketing perspective etc something labelled a soap sells better than the same thing sold as a cream. Or am I missing something?

IMHO a croap must still have a degree of firmness to it e.g proraso in a tub or ToBS in a tub. ShaverHeaven, Nanny's and Occams look like outright creams in a jar to me frpm the pix and vidz I have seen.

Again what they are sold as not really an issue, though some buyers would have expectations a soap should be firm so why are they labelling in this lihtly misleading manner and avoiding calling them a cream?

At the risk of sounding like a picky bugger where is the line between a croap and a cream these days? As it seems to me there are a lot of items that more resemble creams being sold by their makers as 'soaps'and then tagged as croaps by consumers.

Obviously it matters not what it is sold as when one discusses its merits BUT I can only assume that from a marketing perspective etc something labelled a soap sells better than the same thing sold as a cream. Or am I missing something?

IMHO a croap must still have a degree of firmness to it e.g proraso in a tub or ToBS in a tub. ShaverHeaven, Nanny's and Occams look like outright creams in a jar to me frpm the pix and vidz I have seen.

Again what they are sold as not really an issue, though some buyers would have expectations a soap should be firm so why are they labelling in this lihtly misleading manner and avoiding calling them a cream?
Don't think they (soap makers) will come to an agreement on labelling, so it's up to shavers. And shavers love the phrase - YMMV - so I don't think it's going to solidify into agreement anytime soon.

FWIW @Anthony of Shaver Heaven labels his tins as "soft soaps".

Good point @Nick the Knife . Agreed Occams and ShaverHeaven (Forbidden Forest) are creams. I define croap as something like Cella, XXX, Johnny GoodSir, etc. Not hard triple-milled but still up for a decent swirl to load. I say if you dip your brush to load it's a cream, if you swirl for a minimum of 15 seconds it's a croap, if you swirl for 5 minutes to load then it's called Valor, Col. Conks, C&E or just plain shit!

Yeah I agree NtK

I wish they would call them 'soft croaps' or something then I wouldn't get stung buying soaps that are actually soaps. Nothing worse when you want a a good cream that isn't a tube cream and you end up with something soapy.

I guess when compared to say hand cream even Occams has a bit more soapiness to it,

Good point @Nick the Knife . Agreed Occams and ShaverHeaven (Forbidden Forest) are creams. I define croap as something like Cella, XXX, Johnny GoodSir, etc. Not hard triple-milled but still up for a decent swirl to load.

It seems like anything not in a tube is a cream. Which is a misnomer really. I don't like tubes as much as say Occams or Nannys.

Croap should cover this really, and plain old soap can be for anything harder than nannys.

Harumph

...and the #102 how'd it go? BBS?
Great. I guess I'd call it a BBS.

I'm still getting the angles right. It's an efficient little beast chewing down to the skin. 2 & 1/2 days of stubble gone in 2 passes. It doesn't bite like the beefier BloodLetter and ZenMaster (aka R41's)- for which I'm thankful. I raced a little hard today as in a rush (I do hate rushed shaves). I am still finding the angled head a little strange and don't quite get my lines right. I think it needs more modification of my technique.

I'd be keen to compare it the RRSS (which I'll get a chance to shortly courtesy of LaP's generosity).

Edit: spelling x2

It seems like anything not in a tube is a cream. Which is a misnomer really. I don't like tubes as much as say Occams or Nannys.

Croap should cover this really, and plain old soap can be for anything harder than nannys.

Harumph

I agree with you to a point mate. I used to prefer tubs and pucks for loading in preparation for face lathering - still do....though developing a thing for shave sticks of late. But since falling for bowl lathering I'm not minding the tubes. Just squeeze in your pea to broad bean sized amount and get busy. Very neat compared to having to contend with the dribbled remains left after the load in the tub.

...if you swirl for 5 minutes to load then it's called Valor, Col. Conks, C&E or just plain shit!
Oh come on, I'm positive just plain shit loads/lathers better than the former mentioned, just not game to go that organic!
This city slicker will leave that up to you Jim-Bob to try out and it brings the added bonus that it does not harm your sabbatical ;)

Last edited:
Oh come on, I'm positive just plain shit loads/lathers better than the former mentioned, just not game to go that organic!
This city slicker will leave that up to you Jim-Bob to try out and it brings the added bonus that it does not harm your sabbatical ;)

Classic! Hahaha

Brush: Vulfix 2233
Razor: Fatboy on 5
Blade: Aussie Gillette (4)
Cream: Occams
A/S: TOBs Victorian Limes

Can I hear you say mentholated?

Proraso pre shave cream
QCS iced lime
Polsiler SI on 6 (too lazy to get out of the shower and replace)
Omega 10005
Eclipse RR
Alcolado glacial

Not exactly sure what you are supposed to do with the pre shave cream but I wiped some on the face, soon realised that it doesn't lather up at all, so just left it there and went to town on the QCS.
QCS lathered nicely but I don't think it has the scent or menthol that nanny's ice and a slice does.
Nice shave, and the cold water on my face to rinse off was delightful. Just wish I had out the AG in the fridge to crank up the menthol a little but more.

Not exactly sure what you are supposed to do with the pre shave cream but I wiped some on the face, soon realised that it doesn't lather up at all, so just left it there and went to town on the QCS.
That's all I do with the Proraso Pre/Post cream. Smear all the face and then lather & shave over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.