Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are the Fine A/S easy enough to get over there @unobtainium81 ?
Heading over that way in October so it might be easier to buy there and transport back in the luggage than it is to pay postage here.
Sorry for the delayed answer. There are a few places online selling them so you should be able to pick one up easily. There is a barber supplier that has recently started stocking them so maybe you'll be able to pick one up in some barbers in the future too?

Brush: Simpson Duke 3
Soap/Cream: Acqua di Parma (old formula)
Razor: Thiers-Issard 5/8 "Flying Tudor Rose"
After-shave: Aqua di Parma

...and so the journey begins. @Mark provided his special TLC on this beautiful blade.

As for the shave? Don't ask. My hand just wouldn't cooperate with what my mind was willing it to do. Tried it this way and that way but it turned into a dogs breakfast. It felt good when I managed to get blade to face but I've clearly got some work to do.

My hat off to the guys who use straights.

1ShVNw8.jpg
Nice steel.
Not too large and a nice rounded tip to learn with from what I've gathered thus far.
Of course, if you decide to move on from it...

What's the difference between new and old formula ADP ?

Shave of the last three weeks
Muhle R89
MdC Fougere
Simmo Case

MdC is great, easy to overload I find I'm going through it quick (only soap I took on this three week trip so not so surprising) I do find it's a bit drying though. Fussy with exact water level, being sudsy or plaster if I get it wrong. B&M seems more forgiving this way. The MdC leaves me face feeling dried out. Maybe it's the cooler weather.

Forgot to take enough blades and had the misfortune of buying wilkies from Woolies instead. Made in India. I can't say I'm impressed. Anyone else use these? I was looking at the wrapping with the feeling the sabre would provide a closer shave.

A few more days and I'll be reunited with Latha, Ferox, and Feather. There will be much rejoicing.

Brush: New Forest 2001
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: GBE
Soap: Le Pere Lucien
A/S: Le Pere Lucien

My LPL soap is no more.

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Polsilver Iridium Super
Razor 2: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade 2: Gillette SS Australia 1984@8
Cream: Erasmic
Brush: Vie-Long 13061 (The more I use it, the more I like it)
A.F: Pinaud Clubman Virgin Volcano Bay Rum

I feel 4 days younger :D

I could see it being a marmite or Vegemite type of scent but I like it.

We don't really have that argument over here. I think I'm the only person in the whole country that can't stand Vegemite.
The only one born here, at least.

We don't really have that argument over here. I think I'm the only person in the whole country that can't stand Vegemite.
The only one born here, at least.
You don't find Vegemite over here very easily. Isn't it the same stuff anyway?

Finally some time to post here. After 10 days without a shave I managed to get a barber shave yesterday!

Wanted to go to a hipster place at first - but they are booked out for the next 2 weeks!!!

So went to an old school hair dresser - 51 years in business! Very simple shave with Nivea pre-shave, Nivea cream, some boar, a shavette with Toledo? blades, alum, Prince after shave and powder.

Of course he didn't know my face as well as I do, but he still did a stellar job - especially with the long beard and my itchy and already very unhappy skin underneath!

And of course these were not my favorite products, but I still felt like royalty afterwards. How he used the blade was seriously out of this world.

Looking forward to my own shave tomorrow before coming back on Monday.

Nice steel.
Not too large and a nice rounded tip to learn with from what I've gathered thus far.
Of course, if you decide to move on from it...

What's the difference between new and old formula ADP ?

They took out the lanolin and toned down the scent by a large notch. Never tried the new formula (think @Young Buck has it) but I have read reports that its better than the old.

Finally some time to post here. After 10 days without a shave I managed to get a barber shave yesterday!

.... but I still felt like royalty afterwards. How he used the blade was seriously out of this world.

Always nice to be spoilt and get some TLC when you're on holidays. Your face must have felt like a newborns after 10 days of not touching a blade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brush: Omega 10005
Razor: FB exec
Blade: Asco
Soap: Stirling's glacial obsidian
AS: Alcolado Glacial

Few weeks of from the king menthol hit and it's a big shock to the face, still feels numb half hour later.
Great shave and have been surprised by the Asco blade. I didn't think it would be a decent blade but it surpassed my expectations

@eggbert I'm pleased you liked the ASCO. They are quite a surprise and cost wise very reasonable.

Steve

@alfredus good to hear from you again. Brave man allowing someone near your face with 10 days growth, especially a beard like yours :) See you when you get back for a coffee and meet up.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Schick E2 for a quick DFS.
Face lathered with the Omega brush
Homebrewed soap is working well
Cold water between passes. This morning 2 passes.
Finished with witch hazel splash.

Brush: Romera Manchurian Finest
Soap/Cream: Catie's Bubbles "Black Bergamot"
Razors: Thiers-Issard 5/8 "Flying Tudor Rose" and GEM 1924
After-shave: Verdon Refreshing Face Splash & Cedre & Oranger After-Shave Balm

So...I got back on the horse again and felt like the same dyslexic jockey. There were some glimpses of hope that practice will make perfect. The GEM 1924 was used last to clean up the refuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.