Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
They solidify at 30 degree C? Unless there are truly magic crystals or my understanding of thermodynamics in relation to solid/liquid state is wrong, surely they'd dissolve at that temperature.
I'm referencing a declining temperature, where as I believe you're inferring towards an inclining temperature :)

What's the Wisp soap like? Scent? Performance?

The soap maker of Through the Fire Fine Craft also makes the Maggard line of soaps. I -personally - have found the performance of the Maggard soaps lacking (not by much, but still it's a rung below the top soaps).

It's a barber shop scent.

20150612_SOTDS_zpse2agclkb.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: The WOLF(man)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon White Horse
Soap: Barrister & Mann Lime, Lavender & Cedarwood
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

First use of this brush - it is huge (I measured a 28mm knot) and needs A LOT of product. I underloaded it a bit (which is a crime in my books), so the lather was a bit runny. The blade was also at its end by the 3rd pass so all in all it wasn't a perfect shave - but still a great post-shave feel and a silky smooth face :D

That sounds like a good scent for a soap, I bet it's quite nice?

Beautiful soap - what a shame Will doesn't make it (at the moment?) any more :(

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Test Soap #2
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade Perma-Sharp (6)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê-Shave Orange Sandalwood After Shave Soother

Still amazed at the amount of lather that the synthetic makes with the B&M test soaps. Have to run through all the other soaps I have to see if they compare.

Probably used the perma-sharp a day too long. Definitely need to change it for tomorrow. Still a DFS for the end of the week.

Yes, that makes more sense. So it's not a product that would do well outside of Alice Springs in summer.
It was fine in a Sydney Summer :)

"I fear at first there will be lots of pain and blood :D:D:D"

With the encouraging words of my friend @alfredus ringing in my mind, I set out to achieve the first small step of what will almost be a long journey towards competence and confidence with the exotic but beautiful Kamisori...

120615_zps91mls09z.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol
Brush : Muhle Black Fibre Synthetic
Soap : Valobra Menthol
Razor : Feather DX Kamisori Style (Kamisori with training wheels?)
Blade : Feather Pro Light <New>
After Shave : Antiga Barbearia

Fortunately @alfredus was more than half wrong - there was no pain and not much blood ;) The shave took a lot of concentration and heaps of triand error though. Some parts were easy and some very difficult indeed. I may have made it harder for myself by trying to use the Feather like a real Kamisori - using the same hand for the entire shave and trying to keep the same side of the razor towards the face as Japanese tradition prescribes. I did manage to complete the shave, but forget about BBS or even DFS for the first attempt. I could only give the end result an "Acceptable under soft lighting" rating :(

First try of the Muhle Black Fibre Synthetic too - an excellent synthetic. More backbone than most of the faux badger type synthetics, but the same brilliant lahering performance with a high comfort level.

I can see lots of practice ahead, and I now realise that training muscle memory is going to be the most important aspect of the journey. I intend to stick to my guns though - mastering the Feather is only the first big stepping stone...

Friday 12 June 2015

203770d1434107980-sun-june-07th-sat-june-13th-sotd-12062015.jpg

Kamisori Taro, 6/8

Kamisori razors are fascinating. They are excellent in giving a deep and close shave, something you can sometimes get in just a pass or two. I have many in my collection and this Taro is one of those I like quite a lot. A splash of my Thyrrenus aftershave, cool and refreshing with his balsamic fragrance, a perfect touch giving a good relief to today's heat.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Arko
  • Brush: Plisson Badger
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Kamisori Taro, 6/8
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

hey look @Pjotr ^^^^^^^ - he used ARKO!

(I hear it goes well with Umbrian extra virgin olive oil!)

Whoda thoughtit shave today. Loaded up the little Gillette filo sent ages ago with a feather, two smooth passes and wow. Close. Latha is top tier. And froze face after with Borkeds splash (how do you say possessive for Borked? Borks, Borkeds' Borked'?)

"I fear at first there will be lots of pain and blood :D:D:D"

With the encouraging words of my friend @alfredus ringing in my mind, I set out to achieve the first small step of what will almost be a long journey towards competence and confidence with the exotic but beautiful Kamisori...

120615_zps91mls09z.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real Glyce Lime Oil soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol
Brush : Muhle Black Fibre Synthetic
Soap : Valobra Menthol
Razor : Feather DX Kamisori Style (Kamisori with training wheels?)
Blade : Feather Pro Light <New>
After Shave : Antiga Barbearia

Fortunately @alfredus was more than half wrong - there was no pain and not much blood ;) The shave took a lot of concentration and heaps of triand error though. Some parts were easy and some very difficult indeed. I may have made it harder for myself by trying to use the Feather like a real Kamisori - using the same hand for the entire shave and trying to keep the same side of the razor towards the face as Japanese tradition prescribes. I did manage to complete the shave, but forget about BBS or even DFS for the first attempt. I could only give the end result an "Acceptable under soft lighting" rating :(

First try of the Muhle Black Fibre Synthetic too - an excellent synthetic. More backbone than most of the faux badger type synthetics, but the same brilliant lahering performance with a high comfort level.

I can see lots of practice ahead, and I now realise that training muscle memory is going to be the most important aspect of the journey. I intend to stick to my guns though - mastering the Feather is only the first big stepping stone...
Very glad I was wrong!

hey look @Pjotr ^^^^^^^ - he used ARKO!

(I hear it goes well with Umbrian extra virgin olive oil!)

I know. And this for a man who makes pre and after shaves. Suck on that you ARKO haters. His shaving routine reads like some ancient Greek text and then invariably something as down to earth as ARKO or De Vergulde Hand or your average Omega boar brush pops up.

@Pjotr - Although I now make my own soap I have six sticks of ARKO as back up in case the world supply of Stearic Acid disappears. I also have a tub each of Red and Green but they don't like me. Arko is a fantastic soap and excellent value for money. Excellent lather and excellent shave.

Brush: Semogue 620 Boar
Soap: Gingers Garden Aventus Tallow
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Rapira (4).
Aftershave: Alum

First shave with Gingers Garden soap today. This is their description: A citrus based scent with currants, apples, bergamot, pineapple, jasmine and birch. I really get a strong citrus scent. The soap lathers and performs as well as most other soaps. The scent to my nose isn't the strongest but it is great. I accidentally ordered two of these soaps so if anyone going to the Sydney meet today wants to get an unused tub I am more than happy to swap if for something else :)

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (6)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: B&M Fougere Aromatique

Second run of the B&M Aromatique and the true scent is starting to come out. Again, still don't think it is completely for me but it is pleasant enough, but more importantly the other half really likes it.

Pretty decent shave, considering two days back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.