Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (8)
Brush: Smog 730HD
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver cream

Back to one of my favourite creams. The Lavender & Vetiver is simply an assault on the nasal passages. As @Mark sniffed it on Saturday and made a rather impressed noise, you know it must be good.

Lathered up and forgot how concentrated it is - enough for about 6-7 passes in the Smog. Surprisingly it did not lose a hair today - maybe that's the end? Unlikely.

Really good shave, and very decent face about 14 hours later. These Wilks do very, very well.

Back to one of my favourite creams. The Lavender & Vetiver is simply an assault on the nasal passages. As @Mark sniffed it on Saturday and made a rather impressed noise, you know it must be good.
I slightly envy your shave right now. Yes I'm a sucker for earthly scents and good vetiver!! Nice shave!

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Mitchell Wool Fat
Razor Gillette Super Speed
Blade Rapira Platinum Lux (3)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan oil

Tried to face lather with MWF and the synthetic today. While I generated a lot of lather, a heap of it ended up all over the sink rather than on my face. Was still able to get two passes but I think that synthetic and hard soaps will need to be bowl lathered.

Rapira Lux was starting to tug a little today so I binned it rather than take my chances with it tomorrow.

Soap Proraso Red
Razor Phoenix Double open-Comb
Blade Polsilver SI
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

After reading @borked's review of the Phoenix Dbl OC I was a little hesitant about what to expect from this razor. @Draco Noir said it was an efficient and smooth razor and many reviews hinted that it needed a sharp blade. Audible feedback is good but the feel on the face will take a little getting used to.

All in all a reasonable shave, will post a longer review in the review thread.

20150617_SOTDS_zpsbao0g8t4.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon White Horse
Soap: Barrister & Mann Prototype #1
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

That's good enough. Never had the guts to try one. They do look like agricultural implements. Impressed!
They're pretty forgiving once you get the angle right. Especially the closed comb ones, the open combs can be very bitey. Once you figure out the right angle they shave very similar to Gem or Ever Ready.

Soap B&M test #3
Blade Polsilver SI (2)
Post Shave Alum, Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan oil

Day two with the double OC, very mild razor. DFS, no sting with the alum.

However I could feel stubble coming back mid-afternoon.

Brush: Simpsons Eagle 1 Pure Badger
Soap: Catties Bubbles LPV
Razor: Merkur 38C Barber Pole - Blue
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (1).
Aftershave: Alum

First shave with a new brush and razor order from Himage. This is my first Simpsons Brush and is one of the cheapest brush they make. The brush loads easily, fells great on the skin and given its small size still holds a lot of lather, I can see why they have such a great reputation. The razor is great, the longer handle is different from my regular 34C but I like it. All in all a nice two pass shave.

Soap Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
Blade Polsilver SI (3)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother

Getting a better handle on the Dbl OC but feel it is a little mild for my tastes - kinda like the Slim on 3. Luckily it usually leaves some lather behind as I find I need to do a lot more buffing with this razor to get the awkward areas under my jaw lines.

The ê Shave Orange Sandlewood After Shave Soother is quite a lot thicker than Nivea or other post shave balms that I've tried. When first applied it seems that it will be greasy, but quickly dries or absorbs into the skin. Love the scent of this.

Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (9)
Brush: Smog 730HD
Soap/Cream: Simpsons Lavender & Vetiver cream

Lavender & Vetiver again. Lather explosion with probably 6 passes left in the brush. The Wilks are still slicing the hair off the face effortlessly.

Very simple shave.

A further shave using the Hoar from @alfredus. This is very good at producing lather and is starting to break in well. I can still feel some scritch in the knot but that is easing off.
Gem G-Bar. Quite a mild SE but still very efficient.
GEM SS blade Shave 4 or 5.
My Soap.
Single pass because of time constraints but still a more than acceptable SAS - DFS. If I only had a short time for a rushed shave this single pass would be more than acceptable.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.