Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn good shave today. Big thanks to @bald as for organising the 1924, it's certainly a lot more aggressive than either my 1912 or featherweight but after finding the right angle it gave me one of the closest shaves I've ever had. No nicks, no weepers, just very smooth and close.
Oh God no! I fear an SE shave from me in the SOTD within a fortnight.
You fellas are killing me.

"As well"? Is this your generous "Congratulations on using and loving your wet shaving gear I got you a while back" gift to your good friend?
You're a real decent bloke. [emoji106]
Yes and he deserves so much more. He is one of the coolest people I have had the honor to meet in my life and has been nothing but always very kind & generous to me!

A lifetimes supply of B&M would still by far not bring me out of the dept I owe him ;)

I'm just so glad I can bring some joy to his life as well ...

Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Cella Eau de Lavande

Lovely shave. This is my last SE blade until my shipment from Connaught arrives. It gave such good performance and comfort tonight that I reckon I'll use it for a fifth shave tomorrow. Finished with Eau de Lavande. How good is this stuff? It's simple, timeless, classy. It's very much in the same vein as, and probably even better than, the excellent Myrsol Agua Balsamica.

If you like, I can "visit" with a stash tomorrow evening. Seriously I cannot have you slumming it until you razor blades arrive. Another 100 arrived this morning for me.

If you like, I can "visit" with a stash tomorrow evening. Seriously I cannot have you slumming it until you razor blades arrive. Another 100 arrived this morning for me.

All good Steve, cheers. I'm happy to use it as an opportunity to see how the MMOC and MMCP stack up against the New.

PRMISMo.jpg

Razor: Schick Krona 1965
Blade: Gillette Swedes @2 (One Swedes down, 143 to go. It's like a clock countdown.)
Cream: Erasmic (Meant for true Dandies)
Brush: Vie-Long 13061 (That's my only brush anyway (y) )
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport

Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Slim
Blade Persona Lab Blue (1)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Nivea Post Shave Balm (Sensitive)
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

Back to modern blades today - the Persona Lab Blues are a fine way to return. Nice smooth shave.
Been a while since I wore scents of any strength and still coming to terms with the balance between a lasting scent and skunking myself and others. Probably erred on the too little side today.

Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem (4)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Antesol

Fifth shave on this blade was fine. I even went ATG on the cheeks with no qualms. I suspect as my SE technique improves I'll be able to get a week of shaves from one blade if necessary.

Pre: Scented hot towel and Art of shaving unscented pre-shave oil
Razor: Vintage 1940's Gillette Superspeed
Blade: Personna RED (2)
Brush: Mens biz badger
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Osama alum block followed by Arbonne balm

Well I decided not to change anything drastic after having a great shave last time. The only change was from the Merkur 34C to a a vintage Gillette super speed.

Unfortunately didn't get great results. Despite a very close finish after 3 passes, had a few weepers and some irritation. Might just be the blade doesn't suit the razor or may have not paid enough attention as this was my first time using the super speed I had picked up antique shopping last week.

Will give it another whirl with a different blade next time and see how it goes.

Finished the grooming session with the layrite pomade using the Jack black grooming before heading to work.

Bengall Razor
Simpsons Classic
B&M Fougere Vegan
Dickinsons/1805

I was a bit dubious about the Vegan soap to start with. It's a deep green colour and it's very soft. However it is very slick stuff, slicker than the tallow I reckon, very smooth to shave with I'm pleasantly surprised that his vegan soap goes so well. Rinses off the blade easy, so slick it slides off itself. Face feel after is nearly like a balms been used.

Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Slim
Blade Persona Lab Blue (2)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

Quick two pass shave. Feeling ready to start the weekend - unfortunately have 8 hours of work to get thru first.

The only change was from the Merkur 34C to a a vintage Gillette super speed.

Unfortunately didn't get great results. Despite a very close finish after 3 passes, had a few weepers and some irritation. Might just be the blade doesn't suit the razor or may have not paid enough attention as this was my first time using the super speed I had picked up antique shopping last week.

Will give it another whirl with a different blade next time and see how it goes.

Have a really good look at the razor itself - there might be some minor misalignment of the door or safety bar that might exasperate the irritation. Hopefully it will just be the blade or your angle.

Brush: Omega #48 Pro
Soap/Cream: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Razor: Merkur 45 Bakelite (Thanks @Mark1966)
Blade: Feather [3]
After-shave: Myrsol Metisol
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm

I find The Fat messy but slick. Lovely post-shave.

I've used the Merkur 45 a couple of times now. It's a VERY light razor that, when paired with a sharp blade, for me results in a smooth and comfortable shave. The large head does give me difficulty shaving under the nose. And the light nature of it gives control to your pressure. I guess that you could 'tune' into it over time.
I prefer a bit more weight but it's a great little razor.

Status
Not open for further replies.