Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
@stillshunter - not much to pick between them : good but unspectacular. I chose this one on the twin criteria of compact size and compact price. I like a brush small enough to do some facial exfoliation without including the eyeballs, insides of nostrils and ears etc. :confused::confused::confused:
Well then mate I'd thoroughly recommend a little Thater - like the one I traded with @Mark a few months back. Very compact knot and just the right density. I only sold it as I found the handle too small for the occasional bowl lather, otherwise for an exclusive face latherer who values the insides of his nose and eyelids then this is the brush!

:notworthy: Sir you are too kind. I'm so glad you like the soap. Next I'm planning a pre shave soap. So, all being well I will have something for you to try by our next get together.

Steve
Can't wait to try!!!

Pre: Proraso Green
Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem (1)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Old Spice

I finished off an almost empty jar of Proraso. I imagined it would make the blade glide better but it had the opposite effect and my skin felt a little tacky while shaving. I wonder if it interferes with the lanolin absorbing. Nonetheless, the end result was very good and I enjoyed the cool skin. I won't buy a replacement jar though.

I've had similar experiences with proraso green pre-shave and Mitchell Wool Fat. Feels quite waxy. Wonder if there some chemical change to lanolin happening

dif8wx8.png

Brush: Omega #48 Pro
Soap/Cream: Mike's Natural Bay Rum
Razor: Gold Dollar
After-shave: Captain's Choice Bay Rum
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm

A great 2 pass shave. I haven't had a chance to use the str8 in a while so it was good to whiz it across the face. I'm still learning so 2 passes for me means it's a little rough in places. But the technique is improving and it felt comfortable.

A bit rough in places is still much better than anyone who has never tried a straight. A like the respect of the forum to post your image twice [on my browser at least] to equate to the 2 passes you did.

A bit rough in places is still much better than anyone who has never tried a straight. A like the respect of the forum to post your image twice [on my browser at least] to equate to the 2 passes you did.
Thanks Baldy. Unfortunately the double posting was Tapatalk and not intentional. I'm sure Monsta will fix it...

@stillshunter I do recall you taking a while to jump aboard the Semogue train ;)
Also on the money with the Thater, one day I will own a larger one, wonderful brushes.

Another day, another shave :)

150713_zps5gwauywh.png

Face Wash : Musgo Real/O Melhor Exfoliant pre-shave soap
Pre Shave : Floid pre-shave oil
Brush : Trumper SB3 Super Badger
Soap : Tabac
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

A satisfying shave, but the face is seriously due for a little R&R time - I've gotten to the stage where I'm shaving unhealed nicks from previous shaves. Not a recipe for grooming bliss...

So it goes.....

How are you liking the Trumpers brush?

How are you liking the Trumpers brush?

As I said above @unobtainium81, 'good but unspectacular". It's a decent little brush for sure - comfortable size and respectable badger perormance. At the end of the day, it depends what you pay for it. For what it costs retail here in Aus, I think there are better options.

Hope this helps...

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066
Soap Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Merkur 34C HD
Blade La brune française Wilkinson Sword, fabriqué en Angleterre (14)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

This SOTD brought to you by the letters D & N. Thanks to @Draco Noir yet again for his generosity. The Via dell'Ambra whipped up a lovely lather with Horse hair brush. Excellent scent and nice slick lather. Haven't used alcohol based aftershave for years and forgot about "sting" on application. Fortunately la Brune WS in the Merkur is a very mild combo. No irritation and even hours later I feel fresh

As I said above @unobtainium81, 'good but unspectacular". It's a decent little brush for sure - comfortable size and respectable badger perormance. At the end of the day, it depends what you pay for it. For what it costs retail here in Aus, I think there are better options.

Hope this helps...

Yes sorry I quoted that then saw your reply. I saw some of these locally but no cheaper than Trumpers direct. They felt ok but not quite like a Simpsons. I'll probably give them a miss unless they go on sale.

My shave today was very pleasant. I used the Plisson and actually found it to be really good with my latest soap recipe for a face lather. I achieved about 60 -70% of my shave with the 66 straight razor from @Mark and finished off with the SE. I did the cheeks, the neck, under the chin and half :) of the moustache area. I did a second pass on all the mentioned areas with the straight and ended up with a very nice smooth shave. You may have noticed I haven't mentioned the chin - that was the SE. I'm not up to that as yet. I think I need a blunt straight that allows me to practice muscle memory for this area and the lip. I am getting used to the grip and the angle is reasonably easy.

The only nick I got was with my SE, the straight was excellent. Perhaps I was paying more attention.

Steve

My shave today was very pleasant. I used the Plisson and actually found it to be really good with my latest soap recipe for a face lather. I achieved about 60 -70% of my shave with the 66 straight razor from @Mark and finished off with the SE. I did the cheeks, the neck, under the chin and half :) of the moustache area. I did a second pass on all the mentioned areas with the straight and ended up with a very nice smooth shave. You may have noticed I haven't mentioned the chin - that was the SE. I'm not up to that as yet. I think I need a blunt straight that allows me to practice muscle memory for this area and the lip. I am getting used to the grip and the angle is reasonably easy.

The only nick I got was with my SE, the straight was excellent. Perhaps I was paying more attention.

Steve
Great progress Steve, very glad you're enjoying it. Thanks for sharing

I think I need a blunt straight that allows me to practice muscle memory for this area and the lip. I am getting used to the grip and the angle is reasonably easy.
You could use a butter knife to practice with... [emoji6] A butter knife is also good to practice your stropping.

Stropping seems to ok. 'Tis the jitters when I get close to the nostrils and the arms and hands aren't sure why they are so close with a razor sharp piece of metal.

Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Gem (2)
Brush: S10108
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec

A great shave that I was really looking forward to. I incorporated quite a bit more 'Gillette sliding' into this shave and it worked well. A strange feeling though with so much blade on the face. I've still yet to cut myself with an SE. Haven't even got a weeper.

Finished off with the underrated and underused Lime Sec.

Pre: Hot towel and Art of shaving unscented pre-shave oil
Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Personna RED (1)
Brush: Mens biz badger
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Osama alum block followed by Arbonne balm

WOW this is probably the the best shave I have had yet on my wet shaving journey. Smooth slick and close. Not sure what was the key ingredient but it was my first shave with a Personna red and will put it down to that.

Absolutely no weepers or irritation ran the alum over the face and only had a few spots of tingle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.