Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see a reason for most of those items in your pic, but what are the chopsticks for, picking your nose?

As a photographer myself - and from my perspective - shooting many near square format images acheiving a sense of balance can be challenging. The chopsticks add a balanced compositional element that while not directly connected to the clinical aspect of shaving convey a sense of place and connection.

Mind you I could be totally wrong, but I do like the image :)

Steve

Another day begins..

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Floid pre-shave oil
Brush : Simpson's Wee Scott
Soap : Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet (thanks to Anthony)
Razor : Kikusui Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

A generous splash of the always soothing Agua Balsamica, and another successful bout with the Kamisori is done.

Love your work, @Draco Noir. Your mastery of the Kamisori in a short space of time is nothing short of sensational.

xyKkBu4.png

Brush: ShaveMac #177
Soap: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Feather [3]
After-shave: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente milk

One of my best performing soaps and packs an awesome scent. Plenty of cushioning is a strength of Jabonman soaps. The aftershave milk has a strong hit of menthol, a great face feel and the scent lasts a good 6 hours on the face. Highly recommended.

Is that just bad reflection, or did they not replate the handle near the head? Looks a bit tarnished in this photo @filobiblic .

Is that just bad reflection, or did they not replate the handle near the head? Looks a bit tarnished in this photo @filobiblic .
Bad reflection. It's perfect all over. This photo shows it's normal.

Edit: Haha! This photo shows it still looks funny. But it is ok...

waXYiym.jpg

@razorguy, I have tried using Floid pre-shave oil twice. It definitely seems to make the skin more elastic, but it also seems to bog down the razor at times. For instance, when trying an ATG pass with the razor at a very shallow angle the oil seems to "grab" the razor, requiring a bit more force than usual to start the stroke. Quite an uncomfortable feeling - I worry that the razor will be difficult to control when it breaks free.

I suspect that there is a big difference between various oils, and that I need something a bit thinner and with less viscosity. Can you recommend a base oil that offers the right properties? Thanks :)

Another day begins..

150722_zpsujwlj3up.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Floid pre-shave oil
Brush : Simpson's Wee Scott
Soap : Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet (thanks to Anthony)
Razor : Kikusui Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

No matter how often I use it, the Wee Scott never ceases to amaze with its seeming ability to bend the laws of physics in my favour. This morning was no exception - in no time it had turned a small quantity of Shaver Heaven into a mountain of luxurious lather - easily enough to cater for as many passes as I could reasonably want.

The "Nanosori" performed its maiden shave under my stewardship (I've been waiting until I felt ready to try a different Kami). It too managed to surprise me - its cutting edge is quite a bit shorter than the Iwasaki I've been using in my adventures so far, which translated into being a noticeably more nimble shaver. It was able to take on some of my more difficult spots with seeming ease, and made a noticeable improvement to some aspects of the shave. The decorative rattan binding on the handle did more than look good too - it made for a comfortable and secure grip, which helped with some of the back-handed passes in particular. I managed a DFS with 2 passes and a little spot control, for the reasonable price of one small nick below the jawline.

A generous splash of the always soothing Agua Balsamica, and another successful bout with the Kamisori is done.
Wonderful picture and very glad you had such a great success with the new Kami!

Big thanks to @filobiblic, @Lifes a Peach, @bald as and @StueyB for the nice feedback and support - much appreciated guys! :)

Peach my friend, "mastery" is flattering but so far from the truth it's not even funny. I'm still a long way from even getting "P-Plates" mate :(

If you saw my shabby attempts with a straight you might think differently!

Todays SOTD is special thanks to my good friend Magnus Gabrielsson for the amazing craftsmanship that he's put into that brush to send it all the way to me.
So it only makes sense to pair it with my favourite razor and soap.

Geez @Mark , that is a gorgeous brush. Absolutely stunning!

IMG_1614-2_zpsn6b5gg4l.jpg

Brush:
Simpson Duke 3
Soap: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
Razor: Feather ASD2
Blade: Feather [2]
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel and L'Occitane Verdon

Hump Day Shave Of The Day

Antiga Barbearia de Bairro (thats a mouthful!) is a elegantly presented soap made in Portugal. The heavy glass jar and metal lid makes for a classy impression. The soap is very dense and smooth. It's an easy soap to lather and produces a very creamy and slick cushion. Slickness is its forte. The let down for me is the waxy scent. Reviewers have used terms like "citrusy" and woodsy " but all I'm getting is "white candle". I'd just love to pour in a bottle of sandalwood oil. I'm hoping that the citrus and woods are lurking just beneath the surface and will eventually materialise with more use.

Antiga Barbearia de Bairro (thats a mouthful!) is a elegantly presented soap made in Portugal. The heavy glass jar and metal lid makes for a classy impression. The soap is very dense and smooth. It's an easy soap to lather and produces a very creamy and slick cushion. Slickness is its forte. The let down for me is the waxy scent. Reviewers have used terms like "citrusy" and woodsy " but all I'm getting is "white candle". I'd just love to pour in a bottle of sandalwood oil. I'm hoping that the citrus and woods are lurking just beneath the surface and will eventually materialise with more use.
So true! Excellent summary LaP!
I have the same soap and love the slickness (stunning!) but the scent is off-putting. I have smelt another jar of it and it smells different; more like a cologne scent. I wonder if it either changes over time or is variable across the batches?

My lid also was dented. [emoji26] The issue with shipping tin products... The glass jar is very substantial.

So true! Excellent summary LaP!
I have the same soap and love the slickness (stunning!) but the scent is off-putting. I have smelt another jar of it and it smells different; more like a cologne scent. I wonder if it either changes over time or is variable across the batches?

My lid also was dented. [emoji26] The issue with shipping tin products... The glass jar is very substantial.

Thanks Filo. It's reassuring that you share the same view of the hum drum scent.

Nice shave!!

Can't upload photo. Will need to regain some points it seems.
No. We can no longer post pictures directly. You need to use a 3rd party (Dropbox, Photobucket, Imgur, Flickr, etc) and then post the link to the photo. There's a thread around here somewhere with more advice on it.

IMG_1614-2_zpsn6b5gg4l.jpg

Brush:
Simpson Duke 3
Soap: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro
Razor: Feather ASD2
Blade: Feather [2]
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel and L'Occitane Verdon

Hump Day Shave Of The Day

Great review, as I am interested in this soap I would certainly like to hear your thoughts after you have used it a few more time to see if the scent or a scent does present.

Status
Not open for further replies.