Pre-Shave
Scented hot towel and Art of Shaving pre-shave oil
Brush L'Occitane
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette tech ball end
Blade Feather
Post Shave Alum block
Aftershave Arbonne after shave balm

Great shave, first time using the Feather blade but really enjoyed it in the Tech. One tiny nick that I suffered during clean up but nothing too bad and no sign of irritation. Trying to shave everyday and see how the skin likes it. So far, so good.

Great shave this morning for me. The same as yesterday with an addition of my straight for the final pass. I found it really helped me understand the straight without having to worry about getting started with too much growth.
So, GEM SE/Straight with the Plisson brush [I'm a convert, for this week] and Lavender/Lime soap.

Steve

Brush: Commodore X2
Lather: MWF
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Kai (1) (blue whale sized thanks to @khun_diddy )
After-shave: Agua Balsamica

Bugger this, I'm coming straight out with the spoiler - contender for one of my best shaves ever this morning.

I perpetually forget just what a phenomenal lather MWF creates. Oddly it started very poorly indeed. For some twilight zone reason, the lather started quite bubbly in the scuttle and got no better as I worked it, 2 minutes of good laps across the ridges in the scuttle and...the same. Was going to charge the brush a little more but just went and tested the lather on my face. Only a half dozen swirls in on Planet Face and it exploded. Honestly I looked like the Cella man....my rugged Mediterranean good looks help here too of course. Back to the soap - great glide and a post-shave face feel that cannot be bested! I don't know why I keep forgetting about the Fat. I must use it more often!

Commodore X2 is working out a treat. Thanks @borked . This might be the first Simpsons I hold on to.

Call goes out to @khun_diddy for the Kai samples. Only the first shave so too early to tell, but my initial impression is that the Kai blades are not as sharp as a Feather but much smoother. I also like the presentation. No frills. No glue...not even any printing on the blade. Just good honest metal. I'm looking forward to testing these a little more over the coming week. If it goes as I suspect I'll be leaning on some contacts in Japan to see if there's better pricing on-shore.

Finally, Agua Balsamica (AB). Honestly, if you're reading this and not tried it then get with the program. Great honest to goodness stuff. Oddly even though if you smell MWF and then AB separately they don't seem a match. No reason to it but when used together they are hand in glove.

Again a great shave. One of the best.

Tuesday 21 July 2015

207280d1437479508-sun-july-19th-sat-july-25th-sotd-20150721.jpg

Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus Steel: Italian Shave

This Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" is just another proof of the superior craftsmanship achieved by this revered and magnificent Italian artisan and artist. The blade is made of Mastro Livi artisan stainless Damascus steel, that is a Damascus made by using martensitic stainless steels only and no austenitic stainless steel. As such, this Mastro Livi artisan Stainless Damascus steel is suitable for making edges. Super cutting edges, I would add. I know very well how Mastro Livi carbon Damascus steels performs and trying this stainless Damascus steel was a sort of exciting adventure. It certainly is more aggressive than Mastro Livi carbon Damascus and even more aggressive than the stainless steel Mastro Livi uses for the making of his Grifetto. Although it is quite aggressive, it is however smooth, probably a little less aggressive than Damasteel, the industrial stainless Damascus steel Mastro Livi uses for some of his razors. And I must add, I like Mastro Livi artisan Stainless Damascus Steel better. This was a genuine Italian shave: not only an "Italian Razor" made by the finest and best Italian razor maker, but also one of the best Italian shaving soaps around: Boellis Panama 1924. Then a Mastro Livi badger brush, my pre-shave oil and my Thyrrenus after shave. I truly enjoyed my super luxurious Italian shave: what a razor!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Boellis Panama 1924
  • Brush: Mastro Livi Silvertip Badger, Makassar Ebony Handle, 26mm Knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: RazorGuy Thyrrenus

IMG_1594_zpsrs98uien.jpg

Brush:
Savile Row (Shave The Man 2015 LE)
Soap: CRSW Jardin d'Orange
Razor: Feather AS-D2
Blade: Feather (2)
After-shave: Thayers Witch Hazel & Fine Orange Noir

Second use of the Savile Row and clearly more breaking in needed before passing on any judgement. Getting that thin layer of suds on the second pass like I have gotten with new brushes. Certainly the softest of any badger in my collection.

First time using a Cold River Soap Works soap. First class presentation and easy to load a brush with that wide tin. Jardin d'Orange is not a sweet orange smell - more like the zest. Soap felt luxurious and very creamy (on the first application). Fine Orange Noir after-shave is the perfect scent partner for this soap. Looking forward to using it again with one of my other brushes.

My second or third test run of the Feather AS-D2. This handsome and beautifully engineered razor is proving to be a challenge for me. It's the silkiest of any razor I have shaved with. Treats the face with infinite grace. However, it leaves quite a bit of stubble behind, especially on my neck and chin area. Some tips have been past on that I will try out in the next few days.

Oh, by the way, Fine aftershaves are the bees knees. Awesome stuff.

Last edited:
First time using a Cold River Soap Works soap. First class presentation and easy to load a brush with that wide tin. Jardin d'Orange is not a sweet orange smell - more like the zest. Soap felt luxurious and very creamy (on the first application). Fine Orange Noir after-shave is the perfect scent partner for this soap. Looking forward to using it again with one of my other brushes.

Oh, by the way, Fine aftershaves are the bees knees. Awesome stuff.
I like...oh I LIKE!!!
(Drats! More on the "To Buy" list...)

Pretty sure the feather blade is done. Still produced a good end result but certainly didn't feel all that sharp. Do I push it for one more shave or bin it.
How much do you love your face? [emoji13]
Bin it if you don't want to possibly irritate your face.
Use it again since YOLO and you can't be bothered replacing the blade...

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Gillette Slim H4
Blade Gillette Silver Blues (3)
Post Shave Madre Labs Unscented Witch Hazel (alcohol free) & RazoRock One X Aftershave Milk
Aftershave Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Was able to get a decent lather again with the silvertip and Latha last night by starting with a well wrung brush and adding water as I went. Took a long time to get it where I wanted it so I'll be taking @Monsta_AU's advice and save the silvertip for the creams.
The Semogue OC made short work of the Latha this morning so had an enjoyable shave with no issues.
Finshed up with Clubman Special Reserve (thanks @Draco Noir) and am well ready to face hump day.

Another day begins..

150722_zpsujwlj3up.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Floid pre-shave oil
Brush : Simpson's Wee Scott
Soap : Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet (thanks to Anthony)
Razor : Kikusui Kamisori
After Shave : Myrsol Agua Balsamica

No matter how often I use it, the Wee Scott never ceases to amaze with its seeming ability to bend the laws of physics in my favour. This morning was no exception - in no time it had turned a small quantity of Shaver Heaven into a mountain of luxurious lather - easily enough to cater for as many passes as I could reasonably want.

The "Nanosori" performed its maiden shave under my stewardship (I've been waiting until I felt ready to try a different Kami). It too managed to surprise me - its cutting edge is quite a bit shorter than the Iwasaki I've been using in my adventures so far, which translated into being a noticeably more nimble shaver. It was able to take on some of my more difficult spots with seeming ease, and made a noticeable improvement to some aspects of the shave. The decorative rattan binding on the handle did more than look good too - it made for a comfortable and secure grip, which helped with some of the back-handed passes in particular. I managed a DFS with 2 passes and a little spot control, for the reasonable price of one small nick below the jawline.

A generous splash of the always soothing Agua Balsamica, and another successful bout with the Kamisori is done.

I can see a reason for most of those items in your pic, but what are the chopsticks for, picking your nose?

Great photo @Draco Noir. So glad to see you are mastering the mini katanas

I can see a reason for most of those items in your pic, but what are the chopsticks for, picking your nose?
The Wee Scott is so small that it is difficult pick up if you have thick fingers - the chopsticks come in handy here.
They are also useful for picking slices of skin if you aren't careful enough with the kamisori.

How much do you love your face? [emoji13]
Bin it if you don't want to possibly irritate your face.
Use it again since YOLO and you can't be bothered replacing the blade...

True. I guess it's all the talk I hear of people getting nearly 20 shaves from a blade that makes me think I should push on.

Status
Not open for further replies.