Status
Not open for further replies.
20150725_SOTDS_zpscxjutvgf.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Whipped Dog Synthetic 24/48
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

First shave in 6 days and first shave in the new house!

My skin was already very itchy - I had some razor bumps from not shaving that long...curly beard hair that grows back into the skin - unpleasant!

Unfortunately the wash basin is still not connected in the bathroom (it is being done as we speak and the silicon should be dry by tomorrow), so had to settle for a shave in the laundry. As there is no mirror there, a hand held mirror had to do...

The slant had no issues with the growth and after the second pass everything was back to normal. I had a couple of wheepers on the above mentioned bumps, but all in all a very pleasant shave and the face feels great!!! Next shave in 2 days finally in the new bathroom!

Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna Gem (1)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: @bald as Lavender & Lime
Aftershave: Myrsol Agua Balsamica

Your soap has come a long way Steve. The consistency of the lather reminded me of Barrister & Mann Latha. It's more yoghurty than marshmallowy. As the soap is a little softer than Cella it's a cinch to load and I ended up with quite a bit 'too much' on my synth. So it was a lot of fun to whip up mounds of lather. The scent is very weak. That's not a problem - it's the stated intention with this stuff. I do think it's the wrong scent profile for such a low scent soap though. I reckon a better choice would be almond as in Cella, or eucalyptus as in Proraso. You could even go medicinal with coal tar. This, of course, is highly subjective.

The shave was superb. The soap has good glide considering it lacks lanolin or other exotic ingredients. I met with no irritation, weepers or cuts. After I'd finished three passes I rinsed off with icy cold water and my skin felt neither dried nor moisturised. It just felt normal and, dare I say it, bald as.

I think if you added a dollop of lanolin and tweaked the scent (not increased the scent), you'd have a product I'd be very happy to shave with a lot of the time.

Agua Balsamica felt like the right way to wrap up proceedings. Great shave.

Brush: Chubby 2
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Muhle (2)
Soap: Catie's Bubbles LPV
A/S: Simpsons A/S Balm
A great shave set up!

What do you think of the Muhle blades? You should add your thoughts to the thread about them. [emoji106] It'd be great to hear your thoughts.

Pre-Shave Prep Derma Protective Cream
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap/Cream Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Voskhod (2)
Post Shave Argan Oil & Madre Labs Unscented Witch Hazel (alcohol free)
Aftershave Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Did you unleash the #102 this morning? If so, hope you had a great Saturday shave with it (y)

Had to get up and about early this morning so put my SOTD off till this evening. So todays SOTE is brought to me by @Draco Noir
The Via dell'Ambra has a great scent and lathers well but I needed to put in a little more work than the B&M Latha or Shaver Heaven soaps - seems to have a smaller sweet spot with regards to how much water it needs.

The #102 Slant is sweet. At 118g it is by far the heaviest razor I've used - the handle alone is weighs more than my Slim. With the Voskhod in it went thru a day and half's stubble with ease. A near BBS shave without really trying. The only off spots were under my nose - the head is huge and harder too get in under the nose - and along my jaw line where the grain changes.

Threw a splash of Clubman Special Reserve on and am now kicking back with a glass (or two) of Pinot Noir and enjoying the results of a wonderful shave. Many thanks @Draco Noir for giving me a chance to try this out.

I will make you some for 2 weeks time with Tea Tree as the scent. This feeds my soap making addiction you realise? (y):ROFLMAO:
I want a tea tree soap too! Remember I already have B&M Ferox....

Also keep in mind that @eggbert is heading to Penang in October, it would be nice to send a few gifts with him to Son & Dad Barbershop. Doesn't have to be commercial, just in a container for them to try out. I know it would be appreciated.

Didn't have a shave yesterday, so I feel a bit out of sorts today. Will break out something special later, probably a fresh vintage Gillette Platinum.

EDIT:
Razor: E1 Fatboy (dialled back to 5)
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum, England 1Q69 (0)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann Lavanille

Seriously amazing blades, best Gillette have ever produced. The only issue is they use a bar punch on these rather than the standard cutout so you are limited in the razors you can use on them. Fatboys and Slims work perfectly, and that suits me just fine.

Lavanille used due to the talk of the last couple of days, and again its bloody strange brown lather does not detract from the performance it delivers. Scent is amazing and even more balanced after rinsing off. The glide along with the Feather-beating sharpness of the blade meant the shave was completely effortless. BBS everywhere except that patch just under the chin which I could have gone ATG to fix.

Seriously great shave today and I have a big smile on my face.

Last edited:
Blade: Vintage Gillette Platinum, England 1Q69 (0)
Seriously amazing blades, best Gillette have ever produced. The only issue is they use a bar punch on these rather than the standard cutout so you are limited in the razors you can use on them. Fatboys and Slims work perfectly, and that suits me just fine.

pics?

Courtesy of Mr-Razor:

1970%20%28P1%29%20Dispenser%205%20Gillette%20Platinum%20England.JPG

The above comes in a cardboard hangar, with glued plastic bubble.

Various other packaging of the same blade - note the 'Royal Appointment' mark. Sometimes cardboard boxed & paper wrapped, other times the plastic dispenser was packaged the the cardboard box.

1970%20(P1)%20Gillette%20Platinum%20stainless%20stell%20blade%20England.jpg

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap/Cream: Martin de Candre Fougére
Razor: Eclipse Red Ring
Blade: Personna Lab Blue [1]
After-shave: Myrsol Antesol
After-shave: @shavetheman Aftershave balm
That sounds like a damed fine shave. Any complaints mate?
BTW: where are you sourcing Con's supplies? Has he opened his store?

That sounds like a damed fine shave. Any complaints mate?
None from me. A top shave.

BTW: where are you sourcing Con's supplies? Has he opened his store?
Still using the sample from the last Sydney meet (that's one reason to go! [emoji6]).

I'm almost out though... [emoji26] Top balm indeed!!!
BUT help is on its way! I do believe that next month will be the time when Aussie shaving dreams will come true... [emoji1]

Better than the RazoRock AS balm?
RazoRock is scented and this version is scentless. They are on par but @shavetheman's balm goes on better and is absorbed quicker. The RR scent is lovely. I think a scented version is on the table though...

You'll be able to get some soon... Very soon!

So should we hold off on our European orders then?
Fishing, fishing...

Let's just say that I'm holding off ordering anything else... I'm saving every cent! Also, I don't think a European order will get here before... well...[emoji6]

Pre-shave: Proraso White
Brush: Mens-U
Soap/Cream: Proraso Red
Razor: Gold Dollar as prepared by @Mark
Blade: N/A[1]
After-shave: Razorock 888 wax

Some irritation/tugging I think that's my fault shaking & not the best lather & possible poor angle of attack. I'll do some more research into some better prep too.

Stypitc pencil use.... 2 tiny nic's, both with the gumpy left hand.

@stillshunter so much better then a shavette mate.... So much better.

Some irritation/tugging I think that's my fault shaking & not the best lather & possible poor angle of attack. I'll do some more research into some better prep too.

Stypitc pencil use.... 2 tiny nic's, both with the gumpy left hand.

@stillshunter so much better then a shavette mate.... So much better.
It'll only get better! [emoji106]

Status
Not open for further replies.