Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Star 1912
Blade: Personna Gem (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Mike's Vetiver
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

Only the finest components were going to cut it for tonight's shave. Mike's affords so much slickness. It's such a pleasure to shave with. If there's ever going to be a group buy of Mike's in the future I am so in.

Mike's affords so much slickness. It's such a pleasure to shave with. If there's ever going to be a group buy of Mike's in the future I am so in.
Lucky man. I struggled to consistently get a good lather from the Mikes. Granted I've had one or two that were utterly superb, but I've had more just fizzle. :oops:

Did you use a synth? I can see Mike's being a pain in the ass with a boar or a badger.
You know what I'm not quite sure. Great point though....
I should take the STF2 out of the suitcase (it's been relegated to travel-only brush). Shame the Mikes has moved on to a new home with @Nonick last week so I can't test your theory.

It got a warm welcome, met the family, plays well with others, so it's staying. I usually get good lather, just have to concentrate a bit. Its a keeper! absolutely nailed the scent.

Pre: Hot shower and AOS Pre-Shave balm
Razor: Gemco straight
Brush: Plisson
Soap: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Alum block and Arbonne after shave

This was my first full shave with a straight with no touch ups with a double edged. I have done a few with a shavette before but never had good results always ended up with nicks and cuts.

Had no nicks or cuts today but didn't get a great shave. Need to work on the technique a bit I'm sure it will come with time. Had no irritation so got to look at the positives.

Yeah I'm starting not to like the proraso soap I just don't think it/ I lather it well. ... I wanna try either some Razorock or some shaver heaven....
I think I recall @Anthony mentioned that he'd generously donate some of his soaps for the next Travelling Box (@Mark1966). So if you jump on board you'll get to try not only some terrific Shaver Heaven soap, but a variety of other shaving soaps as well.

UL82G0m.jpg

Pre-Shave
Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush
Vie-Long Horse Hair
Soap/Cream Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Voskhod (3)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & RazoRock XX Aftershave Milk

Damm cold day today down here in Melbourne. Spent the morning outside freezing while watching my son play soccer - lucky I'm not a brass monkey. A little bit of wind burn on my cheeks.
24 hours after my last shave and still less stubble than after 5 hours with a cartridge razor. Decided to shave tonight and sleep in a little extra tomorrow.
Wonderful shave again, the Ikon #102 slant is an excellent piece. I gotta get em one of these.

Love the scent of the Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra - does anyone know an aftershave or cologne with a similar or matching scent?

Sunday 26 July 2015

207686d1437913187-sun-july-26th-sat-august-01st-sotd-26072015.jpg

Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus Steel

I love this razor! And I love my shaving soap, too. I recently made a new batch of my shaving soap by using a new formula: a "tune in" revision in order to get a harder soap and a better performing lather. Not that I was not happy with my previous recipe, but I am more into soaps than creams, that's why I wanted to make a harder version of my soap. It was also a new attempt to get my favorite fragrance - the classic bitter almond aroma, the one I love the most - and also in this regard I made a good step forward. My goal is to make a shaving soap suited for straight razor shaving, according to my own experience and how a shaving soap should be according to my taste. Kind to the skin with a very good slickness for the blade and with a stable, creamy and rich lather. I guess I achieved both goals no matter I believe you can always improve what you do. That's why I am still working on the recipe in order to make my soap even better, by tuning in the formula as well as by using a processing method I personally developed quite a long time ago. As for the razor, impeccable Mastro Livi quality: this stainless Damascus steel is very good and provides a deep and close shave. The icing on the cake was my father's Omega brush 47. This bristle brush - although being about 35 years old - is very soft and no brush I own can beat it in lathering. A genuine lathering champion!​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: RazorGuy Shaving Soap
  • Brush: My Father's Omega 47 (35 year old brush and still a lathering champion)
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi "Rasoio Italiano" Stainless Damascus, 8/8 Full Hollow, Spanish Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Myrsol Agua de Limón

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Soap: Shaver Heaven Alladin
Brush: Semogue 1305
Post Shave: L'occitane BAVX Balm
Just a two pass shave today but more than enough to give me a close shave. These blades are nice and sharp and paired with the wonderful Shaver Heaven soap Alladin provides for magical shave.
20150727_082543 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
20150727_083628 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

In9LwKk.png

Brush: Ploccitane
Soap: Soap Commander LPassion
Razor: Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: Gillette Bleue Extra [1]
After-shave: Soap Commander Passion balm

The Kamisori apprenticeship continues...

150727_zpsi18ab1oh.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Home made pre-shave oil (thanks @razorguy for inspiration)
Brush : Omega Silvertip #615
Soap : Mondial Bergamot & Neroli
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Irisch Moos Balsam

Enjoyed my shave today. I realised that most of the enjoyment with the Kamisori so far has been to do with pride of achievement, reducing the nick count etc. But today I simply enjoyed the shave for its own sake - just the way it ought to be.

I also found out how huge the profit margins in pre-shave oil must be. I made up a small batch this weekend using absolutely top quality oils, and the cost for a 30ml bottle was really trivial. Oh, and it worked really well too :)

Well done @Draco Noir - very 'Zen' photos.

Feel too embarrassed to post any of mine now ....

Status
Not open for further replies.