Status
Not open for further replies.
20150729_SOTDS_zpsphqwp6pi.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Ladas Super Stainless (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Barrister & Mann Cheshire
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Perfect shave - nothing really more to add. Time to start using something new...
What are these blades like?

Well if you insist then I'll take the brush. Just PM me to organise payment and postage.

HMMM - let me think about it :D :D :D

What are these blades like?

I love them in the Wolfman - even more than my favourite Voskhod. A tiny bit sharper, but still as smooth - haven't tried them in any other razors yet.

Pre Shave : Home made pre-shave oil (thanks @razorguy for inspiration)

I am very glad for having given you some sort of inspiration in making your pre-shave oil. I wish it worked very well and, by what I read, it seems it did! (y)

PS. These SOTD shots have now gotten crazy good.....is it just me or did they really start ramping up when @razorguy started putting his shave-p0rn shots up or even before that!

I could not even imagine I could have been cause of such a turmoil here... ;) :)
Is it really me?? :whistle:

Wednesday 29 July 2015

207902d1438168697-sun-july-26th-sat-august-01st-sotd-29072015.jpg

J.A. Henckels Friodur 17 1/2, 7/8 Full Hollow, Round Point

J.A. Henckels straight razors have always been among my favorite ones, in particular those of the Friodur line. My very first stainless steel straight razor was in fact a Friodur and it allowed me to appreciate the performance of stainless steel in straight razor shaving. I don't still understand why many experienced straight razor users would not suggest a stainless steel razor to a beginner. When I bought my very first Friodur - it was about sixteen years ago and it was a 70 1/2 model - I had very little experience about straight razors, I liked it from the very first moment and I had no problem but a perfect shave. Of course, this Friodur 17 1/2 is no exception and it is capable of giving an absolutely impeccable shave and, yes, I would certainly suggest it to a beginner, although I believe the 70 1/2 would be even better because of its smaller size.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Tcheon Fung Sing Green Tub
  • Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger Chubby Brush - 30 mm knot
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: J.A. Henckels Friodur 17 1/2, 7/8 Full Hollow, Round Point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Olive Oil
  • After Shave: Mennen Skin Bracer

Razor: Schick Injector Type E
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Omega S10108
Cream: La Toja
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Tonight I had my first shave with an Injector.

Pros

It's a sub-niche within the niche of traditional wet shaving.
Razor looks very cool.
Easy to load blade.
Extremely easy to shave under the nose.
Comfortable* shave.
Seems hard to nick oneself.

Cons

Two passes only got me to SAS level.

I know I probably have some improvements to make in terms of technique. Even so, I highly doubt this razor will ever get me anywhere near as good a shave as my 1912. It's just too damn mild. (*I find that, paradoxically, milder razors are often less comfortable. In the case of this razor, the comfort on the neck was less than optimal.) So my question is: Are there more aggressive injectors than the E Type?

b4z5uGz.jpg

Brush -
Omega Badger
Soap - I Coloniali
Razor - Hoffritz Slant
Blade - Perma-Sharp Super
Post - Thayers Witch Hazel and Floid Vigaroso
Looks like a stellar shave - miss the travel slant!

img_1577.jpg

3P
S&C Silvertip
Meissner Tremonia Salty Sea Sage
Mongoose
Feather Pro (9)
Old Spice Noir AS

First go of the MT shaving paste. Found it a bit meh really, I was expecting more with all the hype around this one. Maybe I need to dial in the lather a bit. Scent is ok but the camphor in it smells a bit like karvol. Do you have karvol is Australia?

Razor: Schick Injector Type E
Blade: Personna Injector
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

Tonight I had my first shave with an Injector.

Pros

It's a sub-niche within the niche of traditional wet shaving.
Razor looks very cool.
Easy to load blade.
Extremely easy to shave under the nose.
Comfortable* shave.
Seems hard to nick oneself.

Cons

Two passes only got me to SAS level.

I know I probably have some improvements to make in terms of technique. Even so, I highly doubt this razor will ever get me anywhere near as good a shave as my 1912. It's just too damn mild. (*I find that, paradoxically, milder razors are often less comfortable. In the case of this razor, the comfort on the neck was less than optimal.) So my question is: Are there more aggressive injectors than the E Type?

The E series Schick is certainly their most or close to most aggressive version. Head angle is very important but if it is cutting it is either correct or not. I have an E3 which I will bring next time we meet up and we can compare blade gap and head angle. I have found the E3 I have is mildly aggressive and will cut my paper thin skin quite easily.

Steve

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Vie-Long Horse Hair 13066
Soap Shaver Heaven Toffee Caramel
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Super-Max Stainless (1.1) Perma-Sharp Super
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Natio Calming Aftershave Balm
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

Got half way thru the first pass and couldn't cope with the Super-Max. Life is too short for shitty shaves so I tossed it and put in one of the new PermaSharps - bliss.
Finished the shave with zero irritation and damn near BBS face. One of the best shaves in a long time.

Razor: Star 1912
Blade: Personna Gem
Aftershave: Proraso Green

I've felt scruffy all day. The shoddiness of the job the E Type did last night was only fully revealed on waking this morning. Severe stubble and also some discomfort that was reminiscent of the days of carts.

Back to the trusty 1912 this evening. So much better! After two passes I did a little bit of shaving on my cheeks and under my nose with the Schick. It struggled even with that considerable head start. Unless I can find a much more efficient injector, it won't be a razor type that gets any use around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.