Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic new home for the Mergress!!!

The Progress was my first razor and I always toyed with the idea of getting a Mergress - but unfortunately I fell victim to the dank path of SS :(

I will tell you a secret: the perfect setting is 2.5 - you will try 3, maybe 4 & 5 to prove you have perfect technique, but 2.5 will give you a 100% BBS without losing any comfort...

Thanks mate. Very reassuring. So 2.5 it is for Monday's shave. ;)
Curiously various sites (e.g. see second dot point at Amazon) claim the Progress is SS - it got my hopes up but it looks like chrome plate to me. :(

Razor: Gillette Pre-War Tech
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Omega S10108
Cream: Ingram
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

The packet of Platinums that @Nick the Knife kindly sent arrived today. As with the Vie-Long hoar/borse, if I'd experienced them half a year ago I would have gushed all over them. They're really really sharp and have serious cutting prowess. I'm as close as you'd ever want to be. Unfortunately, as with Steve, I've come to believe that SEs are a superior way of tackling the problem of whisker removal. More gentle, equally effective. When the Myrsol went on there was stinging and I had a couple of weepers. Over the month I've been using SE razors, neither of these things have happened.

The Ingram cream is something else. Glide, cooling and post shave are second to none. It's no joke. (Very unique - the only shaving liquid I've ever used.)

Thanks mate. Very reassuring. So 2.5 it is for Monday's shave. ;)
Curiously various sites (e.g. see second dot point at Amazon) claim the Progress is SS - it got my hopes up but it looks like chrome plate to me. :(
...and the only reason the Progress had to leave the den - unfortunately like all Merkurs it is pot metal :( :( :(

...and the only reason the Progress had to leave the den - unfortunately like all Merkurs it is pot metal :( :( :(

Ahhh, I knew there was a reason I didn't buy it :)

Ahhh, I knew there was a reason I didn't buy it :)
Snobs!
P.S., in its defence it is a half-caste (see what I did there - caste / cast? Hmmm...whatever my nuanced humour is wasted on you lot) - the Progress is zumak with a chrome singlet, but the 'Mer' mod-work looks all stainless - you can discern the difference.

Last edited:
Razor: noname French open comb
Brush: Omega 10005
Blade: Vintage Wilky *3
Soap: Stirling's glacial obsidian
Shower water: hot
A/S: supercharged Floid Vigoroso

Nice shave. Don't think I've used any of the menthol soaps while having a hot shower before. The counterpoint of cool face meeting hot water was nicer than I expected.
Don't think the OC will ever be one of my favourites but it's not terrible.

5XqnQTd.jpg

First ever SE shave and the closest shave yet!
...the styptic pencil pictured was in no way required (but never let it be said that I don't take precautions)
Credits:
@Mark1966 - Producer (of Ever Ready SE - not sure of the model but seems similar to the 'Featherweight' of GEM's fame)
@bald as - Director (got to admit he's a damned convincing SE advocate....he's what @Mark is to straights, or what @Drubbing is to using the same shit everyday)
Jesus and Mary Chain's Automatic - Film Score (it just fit so right, like MWF and Antesol)

Last edited:
Caties Bubbles A Midnight Deary description from their web page:

A Poe inspired soap with notes of Orchid, Lotus, Spices, Black Currant, Black Truffle, Jasmine, Dark Chocolate, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Amber and Vanilla.

I have a blocked nose but all I know about the scent is I really like it. Works great as well. That vintage blade you gave me @Monsta_AU is still going strong in the Merkur Barber Pole ( I think about shave 8). The Simpson Eagle in Best does a fine job, is this is amongst their cheapest brushes, I can see why they are so well regarded.

@stillshunter ,welcome to SE shaving. The razor is the FeatherWeight although it was also market in England with a different name at times. Same razor though. It is from the 1950's. There were a few slight head variations over the production run. The razor is certainly a mild SE shave but the shave is wonderfully close none the less. A great razor to begin with or use for the rest of your shaving days. A nice addition is a 1912, more aggressive but still a very comfortable shave.

5XqnQTd.jpg

First ever SE shave and the closest shave yet!
...the styptic pencil pictured was in no way required (but never let it be said that I don't take precautions)
Credits:
@Mark1966 - Producer (of Ever Ready SE - not sure of the model but seems similar to the 'Featherweight' of GEM's fame)
@bald as - Director (got to admit he's a damned convincing SE advocate....he's what @Mark is to straights, or what @Drubbing is to using the same shit everyday)
Jesus and Mary Chain's Automatic - Film Score (it just fit so right, like MWF and Antesol)
Oh good god, I thought you'd done a shaving video for a moment when I saw the video link

Oh good god, I thought you'd done a shaving video for a moment when I saw the video link

AHHHH, the very thought of it is enough to scare me. I've seen him fully clothed and THAT is enough ;)

AHHHH, the very thought of it is enough to scare me. I've seen him fully clothed and THAT is enough ;)
Yeah I hear ya. Mere cotton and wool is no bridle to pure manliness. Arghhhhhh....
A little preview for you people!
4974004174_e7eb0511ef.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.