Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
20150802_SOTDS_zpslbgajxkh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Bald As Lavender & Mandarin (Sof Pre-shave soap made and kindly donated by Bald As), cold water
Pre-Shave Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Mongoose
Blade: Feather Professional (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Finally a reason to use 2 shaving brushes in one shave :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks to @bald as for his kind donation - the Lavender & Mandarin soft pre-shave soap works very well and smells very nice. It was a strange feeling using the Semogue for a non-lathering soap - the brush is very small, especially without any lather building up in it.

The new Paladin is a dream - wonderfully soft and luxurious tips with a decent backbone that gives a very gentle massage. It made the slickest and wettest Mike's lather - almost to the point where I had to glad wrap the whole bathroom :D :D :D

The second shave with the Goose was miles better - but...

I had to take really extreme care and use -0% pressure. I find the handle is for such a usage almost too big and I will try the razor with a shorter handle next time. I did a 3+ pass shave - I combined my third and fourth pass. The result was a nice - maybe DFS - shave with only 2 tiny weepers - but I really had to work extremely long and hard for it. I am yet to be convinced, that the SE is more efficient than my DE's - but the journey has just started, so let's see how I go in the next weeks.

Your early shaves with the Mongoose was similar to mine, @alfredus. The turning point for me was switching to a shorter handle. In my case a Weber bulldog handle. It's a bit of a cop out but it just feels more natural.

Razor: Star 1912
Blade: Personna Gem (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Williams
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman

A classic American shave tonight. An American brush would have completed the set. First time using Williams. My synth can lather olive oil but it had its work cut out for it with the Williams. Still, after spending triple the usual time and after adding lots of water, I ended up with some fantastic lather that had enough staying power. I rate the scent. Clean and classic. Post shave is neutral.

Clubman went on smooth as silk.

20150802_SOTDS_zpslbgajxkh.jpg

Pre-Shave: Bald As Lavender & Mandarin (Sof Pre-shave soap made and kindly donated by Bald As), cold water
Pre-Shave Brush: Semogue 610
Razor: Mongoose
Blade: Feather Professional (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Soap: Mike's Lemongrass and Eucalyptus
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Finally a reason to use 2 shaving brushes in one shave :ROFLMAO:

Many thanks to @bald as for his kind donation - the Lavender & Mandarin soft pre-shave soap works very well and smells very nice. It was a strange feeling using the Semogue for a non-lathering soap - the brush is very small, especially without any lather building up in it.

The new Paladin is a dream - wonderfully soft and luxurious tips with a decent backbone that gives a very gentle massage. It made the slickest and wettest Mike's lather - almost to the point where I had to glad wrap the whole bathroom :D :D :D

The second shave with the Goose was miles better - but...

I had to take really extreme care and use -0% pressure. I find the handle is for such a usage almost too big and I will try the razor with a shorter handle next time. I did a 3+ pass shave - I combined my third and fourth pass. The result was a nice - maybe DFS - shave with only 2 tiny weepers - but I really had to work extremely long and hard for it. I am yet to be convinced, that the SE is more efficient than my DE's - but the journey has just started, so let's see how I go in the next weeks.

I think you need to go "vintage" @alfredus to get the real SE experience. :) Mind you that is a nice piece of shaving sculpture.

Pre-Shave @Draco Noir Pre-Shave Oil
Brush Semogue Owners Club Boar
Soap Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant vs Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Voshkod / Perma-Sharp Super
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & RazoRock One X Aftershave Milk

Decided to do a head-to-head with the Ikon #102 and the Stealth Slant. Today I used the Razorock on the left side and the Ikon on the right and I'll switch them around tomorrow. Very little difference after three passes but the Ikon #102 was smoother after the second pass. Neither of the slants work well right up under my nose - they are both a little too big.

The Via dell'Ambra is a great scent and produced lovely lather with the SOC.

Your early shaves with the Mongoose was similar to mine, @alfredus. The turning point for me was switching to a shorter handle. In my case a Weber bulldog handle. It's a bit of a cop out but it just feels more natural.
That was exactly the handle I had in mind for my next shave! I observed myself today, how I was holding awkwardly the middle of the handle during today's shave and almost getting a cramp - and I was thinking of the Bulldog (y)

I think you need to go "vintage" @alfredus to get the real SE experience. :) Mind you that is a nice piece of shaving sculpture.
Thank you @bald as - but if I can't even tame the Goose, I fear everything else would be a lost cause :(

Brush: ShaveMac #77
Soap/Cream: Caties Bubbles Le Piment de la Vie
Razor: Gillette British Aristocrat #15
Blade: GBE [4]
After-shave: Jabonman Aftershave milk

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Shaver Heaven Drogon Noir
Post Shave: Nivea Balm
Nice easy two pass shave with clean up under the chin is all I need for an excellent shave. The Shaver Heaven soap makes it easy to shave the whiskers off with no irritation and much pleasure.
20150803_082559 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

150803_zpstyalmsap.png

Face Wash : O Menhor Exfoliating Pre-shave soap
Pre Shave : Home made Bergamot & Neroli Pre-shave oil
Brush : Plisson La Maison du Barbier
Soap : La Savonnier du Moulin *
Razor : Iwasaki Kamisori
After Shave : Floid Blue

Superb shave today - best yet from the Kamisori. I applied mindfulness to the shave today, focussing on keeping the pressure light and the angle right. It rewarded me with a peaceful, smooth and very comfortable shave. And a smooth comfortable face....

* A big and very grateful shout out to the "King of the Orchard" - @Lifes a Peach for the magnificent artisan asses milk shaving soap. I won't steal his thunder by blabbing here - I'm hoping he writes us a review of this unusual product.

Happy shaving to all :)

Had a shave about mid morning with an MdC type clone I have made. It lathers very quickly and does produce a bounty of creamy lather. Me personally I didn't find it had the glide of previous soaps I have made as I nicked myself about 3 times which is a very rare thing to happen with the previous soaps. This soap was basically the "internet" recipe for MdC - so it must be true. I would imagine cure time and any secret procedures I'm not aware of would make the difference between very good and excellent. This was between very good and excellent. I thought with all the coconut it would be really drying but really wasn't too bad at all.

Brush Vie Long Horse. This soap loaded very easily onto this brush.
Soap Home made MdC type clone
Razors Cut throat and G-Bar SE [nicks from SE]
Water splash with no after treatment to see how the soap was.

Brush: Commodore X2
Lather: Jabonman Brisa de Oriente
Razor: Mergress (2.5)
Blade: PSS (2)
After-shave: Antesol

Yep 2.5 on the Mergress was good territory. Funny how with even an extra 0.5 you could really feel more f the blade. A mighty close shave. I know the Mergress played it's role, but the PSS and Jabonman played their part.

Pretty happy with the Mergress. Don't think I need a Fatboy no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.