Semogue 1800 boar
Muhle R41 (2011) "The Beast"
UFO TiTan razor handle
Gillette Yellow blade
Osma Alum block
Saponificio Varesino 70th Anniversary Balm
Triumph & Disaster Gameface
Bvlgari Aqva Marine EDT

My 4th day in a row using this soap. Can't recall ever using a soap so many days straight. Lathers beautifully and leaves a great face feel.

I absolutely love the scent - as does my wife (bonus). It's perfectly complemented by the Bvlgari Aqva Marine EDT from which I've always sensed a salty, aniseed note. The 70th Anniversary balm I'm also enjoying. The trick is to only use a small amount.

The Beast is my favourite razor - no contest.
5HjKnlG.jpg
Wowee @PossomBelly! That's an awesome shave... You'd feel like a million bucks after that!
Nice, very nice indeed...

Bengall
Simpson Classic
Proraso Red
New LC - Feather (2)

Oh Proraso red, how you leave my face feeling like the Simpson desert, but at least it's a lovely sandalwood desert.
No splash or balm post-shave?

And do I spy two different razors...?

Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna Red
Cream: TOBS Rose
A/S: D.R. Harris Pink

Perfect BBS shave. First use of the SA, set on 6, think I'll bring it down to a 5 tomorrow. It wasn't really harsh but just a bit too aggressive for my taste.
What's your favourite vintage razor NG? I note you've used a few...

Last edited by a moderator:
What's your favourite vintage razor NG? I note you've used a few...
Just a few. :) My favourite is the English Red Tip Super Speed, although I also very much enjoyed the Aristocrat No 16, Aristocrat Jnr and the Psycho Tech. My Least favourite is the Gillette Hybrid Tech, closely followed by the Slim. All of them are inferior to the Weber IMO though.

Just a few. :) My favourite is the English Red Tip Super Speed, although I also very much enjoyed the Aristocrat No 16, Aristocrat Jnr and the Psycho Tech. My Least favourite is the Gillette Hybrid Tech, closely followed by the Slim. All of them are inferior to the Weber IMO though.
Thanks. I'm always curious as to what people enjoy.

I haven't heard of the Hybrid Tech- what makes it "hybrid"?

Interesting that you've only listed closed comb razors. No slants. No open combs. Any reason for that? Have you tried any of those before?

Thanks. I'm always curious as to what people enjoy.

I haven't heard of the Hybrid Tech- what makes it "hybrid"?

Interesting that you've only listed closed comb razors. No slants. No open combs. Any reason for that? Have you tried any of those before?
Tech Hybrid is a hybrid of the Tech and New heads, Rhodium Plated, reasonably uncommon I believe. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Tech/1939 Tech Hybrid England from Richard Snyder.jpg Here's mine, traded about a year ago for No 16 Aristocrat

I have tried a few OC razors, I just didn't find them to be as good as the listed razors. I do very much enjoy my Merkur 37c though.

Hey Filo is that razor gold-plated or is your white balance off? Looks a nice shave nonetheless.

Brush: Aesop (STF2 23mm)
Lather: Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Indian Black (Gillette Super Platinum) (2)
After-shave: Shaver Heaven ASB

Shave with a little fruity punch. Very, very, very nice.

20150812_SOTDS_zpsuv7eqso1.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Mongoose with Above the Tie Kronos handle
Blade: Feather Professional Super (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Soap: Bald As MdC Clone Unscented (Soap made and kindly donated by Bald As)
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Life has taught me one thing. When you peg a higher level of confidence, soon will come the fall. Whenever I've gotten a little cocky, next comes the proportional humbling experience. So let's see where this new confidence with the DE lands me.
I've hereby been warned.

So right @stillshunter so right! After my last blood and burn free shave with the Goose, I certainly felt a bit cocky - and of course the Goose bit me!

First pass and perfect rookie mistake with SE's above the moustache - nice little cut to teach me I am still far away from being a experienced SE user...

After that I started to concentrate again and everything went smooth. Again a nice shave with no (further) blood and no burn. Still not as close as I like but it was the closest to a comfortable shave I had with the Goose so far.

The brush is very nice - lathers up so easily and feels wonderfully soft on the face. But it does lack some character I would say.

I tried my luck again with @bald as MdC clone - and again it behaves like many other Vegan soaps for me. I started with a dry brush and added water very carefully to the lather. While I got mountains of lather without any effort - again I couldn't get the lather as wet as I liked. Great for DE's, no problem for the SE - although the lather sticks to the razor more than I like, but I think too dry for a straight?

Any thoughts on this @bald as , @khun_diddy or @boldsworth ? Am I doing something wrong, or is it the nature of the soap?

Appreciate you concurrance @alfredus ....certainly learned from many experiences - with associated levels of pain, embarrassment and blood - be it shaving, photography, motorbikes, chainsaws, etc.

Logged my interest with Mongoose. So I assume I'll hear in a month or so about my polished head and 1/2" handle.

So what's the story with the CH1 Super mate? Is it yours or a loaner?

Oh its golden alright, on so many levels!
Yeah, I'm happy to ramp up the saturation and change the colours for more warmth just to accentuate for good measure. [emoji14]

Appreciate you concurrance @alfredus ....certainly learned from many experiences - with associated levels of pain, embarrassment and blood - be it shaving, photography, motorbikes, chainsaws, etc.

Logged my interest with Mongoose. So I assume I'll hear in a month or so about my polished head and 1/2" handle.

So what's the story with the CH1 Super mate? Is it yours or a loaner?

It's on loan from @boldsworth

Razor: Schick Injector E Type
Blade: Personna Injector
Brush: Omega S10108
Cream: La Toja
Aftershave: Myrsol Antesol

My first shave with an Injector was terrible. Although I knew I'd make improvements in technique, I still wrote it off. At our recent meeting, SE guru @bald as told me that I'd probably taken the edge off the blade as I'd loaded it. Tonight I used the technique he taught me with a freshie and the shave was night and day compared to my first tilt. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation and two passes was all it took to get the job done. Boy, what a fun way of shaving too! I'm hooked.

So...
DE to SE.
SE to Injector.
Injector to Straight!
It's the natural evolution- right? [emoji6]

NOOOOO

Straight to SE

SE to DE

DE to Injector

Injector to Twin Blade Cart*

Twin Blade to Triple Blade*

Triple Blade to Quad Blade*

Quad Blade to Five Blade*

etc etc etc

* detours via pivoting heads, lubricating strips, motorised pulsation or flexballs ignored for simplicity

Now THAT is evolution!

20150812_SOTDS_zpsuv7eqso1.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Mongoose with Above the Tie Kronos handle
Blade: Feather Professional Super (2)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Soap: Bald As MdC Clone Unscented (Soap made and kindly donated by Bald As)
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

So right @stillshunter so right! After my last blood and burn free shave with the Goose, I certainly felt a bit cocky - and of course the Goose bit me!

First pass and perfect rookie mistake with SE's above the moustache - nice little cut to teach me I am still far away from being a experienced SE user...

After that I started to concentrate again and everything went smooth. Again a nice shave with no (further) blood and no burn. Still not as close as I like but it was the closest to a comfortable shave I had with the Goose so far.

The brush is very nice - lathers up so easily and feels wonderfully soft on the face. But it does lack some character I would say.

I tried my luck again with @bald as MdC clone - and again it behaves like many other Vegan soaps for me. I started with a dry brush and added water very carefully to the lather. While I got mountains of lather without any effort - again I couldn't get the lather as wet as I liked. Great for DE's, no problem for the SE - although the lather sticks to the razor more than I like, but I think too dry for a straight?

Any thoughts on this @bald as , @khun_diddy or @boldsworth ? Am I doing something wrong, or is it the nature of the soap?

I am really pleased you are getting better with the Goose.

Now soap - no idea really. After seeing your collection I think you could lather road tar. I agree the soap probably is a bit dry for a straight and maybe we need to increase the addition of Glycerine. @razorguy seems to be pleased with his soap and uses a straight. If you are interested in sharing your recipe @razorguy I have a few I can reciprocate.
Great also @khun_diddy that you had a better shave with the injector. The Type E is a really nice razor.

xgkizZs.jpg

A tale of Three Oranges

Pre-Shave - Myrsol Emulsion
Brush - Semogue Mistura
Soap - Cold River Soap Works Jardine d'Orange
Razor - GEM Micromatic Open Comb
Blade - GEM (3)
Post Shave - Thayers Witch Hazel, Fine Orange Noir, and L'Occitane Cedre Oranger balm​

Status
Not open for further replies.