Status
Not open for further replies.
Preshave: Top Seven Inco Uomo
Brush: Shavemac 177
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super
Soap: DR Harris Windsor
Post Shave: Proraso Green
Two pass shave with a clean up under the chin. The Top Seven was a gift from a friend who purchased it off his Italian Barber. Not much scent wise but a nice cooling sensation that builds then drops off rather quickly.
20150813_221738 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Pre-Shave Musgo Spiced Citrus Oil Soap
Brush Edwin Jagger Super Badger
Soap Shaver Heaven Coconut Citrus Sorbet
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant
Blade Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Post Shave Natio Calming Aftershave Balm
Aftershave Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve

Finished the week with a fine shave but a reminder that we are dealing with sharp instruments here. After lathering for the second pass I had a total mind fart and managed to run the blade across the left alar rim (the outside of your nostril). Finished the shave and applied the steptic pencil as a reminder to what happens we stop paying attention.
Had to go to the Clubman Special Reserve to bring the day back on track

Brush: Aesop (STF2 23mm)
Lather: Reef Point Dragon's Blood (thanks @SydBJW )
Razor: Mergress
Blade: Schick Platinum Plus (1)
After-shave: Antesol

Well I'm rooted. Here I'm hoping to rationalise and @SydBJW offers me a taste of this Reef Point soap. This one smells and lathers a beaut! I'm going to be struggling not to order a tub of my own. I can wait a bit as he sent me a dozen samples of top shelf soap...so I reiterated, I'm rooted!

Was talking about vintage blades yesterday and so I thought I'd load one up and give it a whirl. Oh they are the stuff!

So all-in-all a superb shave!

Disclaimer: I've got the YKW pass-around box with me the next 2 weeks - and I will refer to it...

20150814_SOTDSCartoon_zps7i36x90x.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE87 (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

I think it is time to put the Mongoose away - maybe even for ever and pass it on. I am just too much of a whimp and seem to like only mild razors with mild blades :cry::cry::cry:

As always, I don't like to bring in too many new variables at once, so I decided today to just use the Edwing Jagger DE87 from the box – especially since the Chubby I am using at the moment has been generously loaned by @boldsworth and is therefore also new for me.

I have been very much looking forward trying out this razor – I have read so many good things about it. I can only say I totally agree with them. The razor is an absolute joy to use and without being to aggressive it is still very effective. I now totally understand, why this razor is so often recommended to new wet shavers. The only slight criticism I would have, is the handle. It is a bit too light for me and makes the razor rather top heavy,

The Chubby is a big lather hog – it wants a lot of product and does not like to share the lather back. However if really does feel great on the face.

@razorguy seems to be pleased with his soap and uses a straight. If you are interested in sharing your recipe @razorguy I have a few I can reciprocate.

I really am very happy with my soap, although I admit I am trying to improve my recipe in order to exactly get what I have in mind. My goal is to make a shaving soap suitable for straight razor shaving while providing very good slickness and a very good posta shave. I guess I am almost there and I could be happy with that, but I want it to be even better.

Friday 14 August 2015

209141d1439551918-sun-august-09th-sat-august-15th-sotd-14082015.jpg

Bourdier 43, 6/8 Full Concave, Double Grind, Round point

In these days I am using different soaps in order to compare them with the one I make. After having used for a long time my shaving soap - and with absolute joy, satisfaction and pride - I am now using different soaps in order to get an idea of how my soap performs compared to some "well known" soaps. In this shave I also used a Bourdier razor - not so bad - and an Italian aftershave I recently bought in a shop because, I admit, it is something belonging to my memories of very old times. This "Pino Silvestre" was in fact very popular when I was a kid and I wanted to give it a try. I confess I had a truly different memory of this aftershave - including its fragrance - and it disappointed me quite a lot. Sometimes memories should be left in the place they are becasue they certainly belong to a time gone by and reviving them in a different time could be quite disappointing. As for the soap, I used the well known and celebrated Klar Kabinett and it certainly confirmed to be a very good soap. It is such a pity they quit production, a fate shared with many other good soaps of the past which certainly were not disappointing at all.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Klar Kabinett
  • Brush: Zenith 506 Badger Extra Silvetip - 26 mm knot
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Bourdier 43, 6/8 Full Concave, Double Grind, Round point
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Pino Silvestre

Razor: Schick Injector E Type
Blade: Personna Injector (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Barrister & Mann Latha
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

The E Type has a real sports car feel. Super nimble yet powerful. I can see myself using it a lot over the coming years.

I'm pleased to hear you are coming to grips with the "E" it is a great razor.

Disclaimer: I've got the YKW pass-around box with me the next 2 weeks - and I will refer to it...

20150814_SOTDSCartoon_zps7i36x90x.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE87 (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Sage
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

I think it is time to put the Mongoose away - maybe even for ever and pass it on. I am just too much of a whimp and seem to like only mild razors with mild blades :cry::cry::cry:

As always, I don't like to bring in too many new variables at once, so I decided today to just use the Edwing Jagger DE87 from the box – especially since the Chubby I am using at the moment has been generously loaned by @boldsworth and is therefore also new for me.

I have been very much looking forward trying out this razor – I have read so many good things about it. I can only say I totally agree with them. The razor is an absolute joy to use and without being to aggressive it is still very effective. I now totally understand, why this razor is so often recommended to new wet shavers. The only slight criticism I would have, is the handle. It is a bit too light for me and makes the razor rather top heavy,

The Chubby is a big lather hog – it wants a lot of product and does not like to share the lather back. However if really does feel great on the face.
I will lend you a G-Bar or a Contour - both GEMS and both very mild but really efficient. While I haven't used a Goose, to me it looks a challenge to get the correct angle compared to a GEM SE.

Pre-posting tomorrow's shave tonight as I know it is going to be amazing.....

sotd20150815.png

Razor:
Pureman OC Proto long handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Stainless - fresh (via @borked)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: It's a secret - the maker you have heard of but the scent is an all new & unreleased creation arrived in this country today.

The Melbourne guys will be the first to see it & smell it, with Sydney closely following. But the first shave, that's mine.

The scent is great, and something that speaks to us as Aussies.

A P&C secret soap & AS made without our knowledge?!? Strewth! You should have asked us first mate. I hope it smells downright awesome. TMBR v2? [emoji6]

Another good reason to turn up on Sunday to either the Melbourne or Sydney meets...

A P&C secret soap & AS made without our knowledge?!? Strewth!

Not my doing, not a P&C project. But more than happy to try it out. Crikey.

You should have asked us first mate. I hope it smells downright awesome. TMBR v2? [emoji6]

Better lathering I would imagine, can just tell from the look of the soap. Hot processed for a start.

Another good reason to turn up on Sunday to either the Melbourne or Sydney meets...

As if you needed a reason like this. You better hopalong.

Not my doing, not a P&C project. But more than happy to try it out. Crikey.
Oh... I know... [emoji6]

As if you needed a reason like this. You better hopalong.
I don't need a reason. But I will be hopping along... [emoji26] Got a new cast put on today and another new one next Friday. Be weeks before I'm using two feet again. [emoji53]

Hmmmm...speaks to us hey? So I'm thinking the smell of a good old proper Aussie pub. So high notes of 'rancid BO', mids of 'beer in carpet', base notes of 'old work boots and stale farts'.
Well I, for one, can't wait!

Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Gillette Psycho Tech
Blade: Personna Red
Cream: TOBS Rose
A/S: D.R. Harris Pink

Hmm, 'Red', 'Rose', 'Pink' - certainly a colour theme there mate. Anything to do with 'Psycho'?

Status
Not open for further replies.