Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh @alfredus your enabling is extraordinary, I haven't been so driven to get a new razor since....was it last week ;) Seriously mate them Mongooses look so good. How do they compare to a vintage SE?

Of course this is my first encounter with a SE :D :D :D

:) watch this space !!
Hmmm...this trick has been used before...

tumblr_mam8zhFNJt1qdci9xo1_500.jpg

@filobiblic - what do you think of the Standard razor? I'm interested to hear if your opinions are similar to mine...
Overall I like it. Efficient and stylish. It gives a good shave (sometimes a little too close). Paired with a good sharp blade it cuts very smoothly. There's a certain sweet spot when it comes to angles. Too shallow and it doesn't cut; too steep and -yikes!
The aluminium is a different feel - i like it but others may not (hi @Mark1966). It's light, not your usual heftiness. The handle looks to be slippery but it surprisingly is very grippy with no problems at all. (You could always use Alum on your fingers for more grip.)
What's your experience been like?

Overall I like it. Efficient and stylish. It gives a good shave (sometimes a little too close). Paired with a good sharp blade it cuts very smoothly. There's a certain sweet spot when it comes to angles. Too shallow and it doesn't cut; too steep and -yikes!
The aluminium is a different feel - i like it but others may not (hi @Mark1966). It's light, not your usual heftiness. The handle looks to be slippery but it surprisingly is very grippy with no problems at all. (You could always use Alum on your fingers for more grip.)
Can't restrain myself. @filobiblic was nice enough to lend me his Standard and I got to say @Draco Noir it's a beauty. Still wonder now and again whether I might get one. Paired with a Feather blade it's formidable!

...interesting is the Feather AS-D2 and Standard comparison.

Almost exactly my feelings about it. Yes indeed, sometimes it does shave a bit too close. Agree about a sharp blade, but for my money a Feather would be a tad too sharp.

I had a little teething trouble with angles too - was starting to think it was aggressive. But as you say it's simply that it doesn't offer a lot of leeway on angle of attack. The handle is a minor mystery to me too - by rights it really should be slippery, but I've always found it offers a secure grip even when soapy. I found a handy trick with it - the screw that holds the handle and head together is actually double threaded. I carefully removed it from the handle then used some loctite to secure it to the head. You can then try different handles on it. I rather liked it with a black aluminium Razorock handle, but I don't really think it improved the overall handling of the razor.

...interesting is the Feather AS-D2 and Standard comparison.

I like a Feather blade much better in the AS-D2 Stillsy. A Polsilver SI is about as sharp as I feel happy with in the Standard. And for me, a great shave is easier to achieve comfortably with the Feather. The Standard would make a sensational travel razor paired with a good fast drying synthetic brush, in fact that was my original reason for getting it.

Pre-Shave Ach Brito Pre-Shave Soap Glyce Lima
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap B&M Latha
Razor Razorock Stealth Slant
Blade Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Post Shave Myrsol Emulsion

Quick two pass shave while showering. Love the feel of Emulsion - think it would be a great mix for Proraso Green Pre-shave come summer

Brush: Chubby 2
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth
Blade: Polsilver Brown
Soap: D.R. Harris Lavender
A/S: D.R. Harris Pink

Boy you really seem to like your Chubby mate?

The Standard would make a sensational travel razor paired with a good fast drying synthetic brush, in fact that was my original reason for getting it.

Hmmmm...great idea mate. If only I'd not already bought the Merkur 45c bakelite for travel. :oops:

How does the Red preshave compare to the Green?

I love the menthol kick of the Green, but also love the sandalwood scent of the Red Soap
You get the same sandalwood scent from the soap with the red preshave and I like the face feel of it but you get no menthol kick as you do from the green preshave. As I shave before I shower I like it as a preshave routine to soften and lift the whiskers as I work it in. Whether it helps with theshave or not is difficult to say but I like the face feel after I have worked it in.

150811_zps8z9rdtid.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Home made pre-shave oil Bergamot & Neroli
Brush : Muhle Black Fibre V2
Soap : Haslinger Coconut
Razor : Kamisori
After Shave : Fine Orange Noir

This Kamisori saw its first use since returning from the Japanese waterstone heaven that I imagine @Mark's workshop to be. Note to self : make allowances, it will be sharp. I've been enjoying the Black Fibre brush lately - not quite as soft as the "angel hair" brigade, but a nice bit of backbone without the "springiness" that @MrT mentioned recently. It produced a lovely lather from the Haslinger Coconut soap. Then the careful, smooth shave with the Kami turned into Weepergate. Operator error I guess - I should have settled for a one pass DFS, but I pressed on for a second pass and paid the price. Lesson learned at least - go easy with a freshly and expertly honed razor...

After a lot of styptic and time, I finally closed the book on this shave with a big splash of Fine Orange Noir. This has become a big favourite for both me and @Lifes a Peach over recent months.

...I finally closed the book on this shave with a big splash of Fine Orange Noir. This has become a big favourite for both me and @Lifes a Peach over recent months.
Observed and acknowledged.
Waiting for a local supplier to stock this! But I'm growing itchy after hearing so much about it from you two... [emoji6]

Brush: Smog 1305
Lather: Shaver Heaven Aladdin
Razor: Weber PH
Blade: Indian Black (Gillette Super Platinum) (1)
After-shave: Shaver Heaven ASB

OK so I'm both a little excited and a little worried.
A little excited as my DE shaves are becoming consistently so good and it doesn't necessarily seem to be down to the razor or blade. I'm getting a decent shave from the Feather, Fatboy, Mergress, Merkur bakelite, EJ89, etc. So I'm thinking me and the DE must have just clicked. I think the process of shaving with a DE has become conscious-subconscious (anyone whose done those wanky personal development courses at work knows what I'm talking about). So I've developed some muscle memory and can auto-pilot a degree of the business. Exciting to have the penny drop. I mean it only took two years, but hey I've never been the fastest or sharpest.

This doesn't detract from a few other realisations:
1. the 1305 is a phenomenally great brush (bugger the anti-Semogue lobby)
2. @Anthony makes a phenomenally great soap. We can wax lyrical about all this yank crap, but we have some amazing soap on our doorstep (remember Occams aint half bad either). Used ShaverHeaven Wasabi yesterday and their Aladdin today and I wanted for absolutely nothing. It's all right there and here!
3. My oily skin can handle balm. The ShaverHeaven ASB worked a treat. Sorry not sure of the details as it's a sample pot I acquired from my brother-in-arms @filobiblic . Has a kind of melon scent. Absolutely top shelf. I have pre-ordered some more soap and ASB from ShaverHeaven. @Anthony deserves every single shred of business - great products and an even better level of customer service.

Oh yeah, earlier I said I was both a little excited and a little worried.
Why worried?
Life has taught me one thing. When you peg a higher level of confidence, soon will come the fall. Whenever I've gotten a little cocky, next comes the proportional humbling experience. So let's see where this new confidence with the DE lands me.
I've hereby been warned.

Sounds (& looks!) an excellent shave.

1. the 1305 is a phenomenally great brush (bugger the anti-Semogue lobby)
Was that just another nudge in the ribs?

2. @Anthony makes a phenomenally great soap. We can wax lyrical about all this yank crap, but we have some amazing soap on our doorstep (remember Occams aint half bad either). Used ShaverHeaven Wasabi yesterday and their Aladdin today and I wanted for absolutely nothing. It's all right there and here!
Hear! hear! Lots of love for @Anthony's shaving soaps here on the forum. [emoji106]

3. My oily skin can handle balm. The ShaverHeaven ASB worked a treat. Sorry not sure of the details as it's a sample pot I acquired from my brother-in-arms @filobiblic . Has a kind of melon scent. Absolutely top shelf. I have pre-ordered some more soap and ASB from ShaverHeaven. @Anthony deserves every single shred of business - great products and an even better level of customer service.
That was @Anthony's original version. I haven't tried his latest version of his ASB (I'm sorry!), but it's been getting nothing but excellent feedback. Another winner I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.