Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Maggard head with an elite handle
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (1)
Brush : Omega S-Brush Synthetic
Soap: Limma-Cinnamon, not sure of brand, thanks for the sample @Mark1966
Post Shave: Nil

Bowled lathered the sample with the Omega Synthetic. Produced a good lather. The soap smells lemony to my blocked nose. Performance wise the soap provided for a great shave.

You have to tell me the maker of the soap @Mark1966

Well, the secret soap & AS was great, the fresh blade a dream and I am a happy bloke today.

I need a few more runs at it, but it should be available 'soon'. You Melbourne guys are going to love it, and Sydney will definitely get a sniff on Sunday.

Menthol Preshave shops for all in Sydney, then I need to post one to the remote menth-heads like @eggbert

No, but possibly a long-lost second cousin. Put together in a similar way.

Same shave for 3 days now:

Cold water shave.
Soap: Desperado by Shaver Heaven. Every time I use this I can picture the Blues Brothers performing in my bathroom the song Rawhide. Love that leather.
Brush: Edwin Jagger badger
Razor: Dovo 5/8 stainless steel (thanks @Draco Noir)
A/S: None this morning - just enjoying the after-scent of leather (and the Blues Brothers ringing in my head)

I have been bowl lathering since I tried the synth. The EJ badger, being a higher loft loans itself to bowl lathering well, so the Simpson Berkeley, being a shorter loft and more suited to face lathering IMO has been having a rest these last couple of weeks.

I stand corrected and eat humble pie. The Dovo is shave ready straight out of the box. I've had three shaves now and all have been great. I won't be putting it to the hone for a freshen up for a couple of months at least. I first started wet shaving with a Dovo straight and it wasn't real pretty or successful. It wasn't till watching others on the internet and refining their tips to my shaves that I realise it wasn't a dull edge but a dull operator that caused unsuccessful, tugging shaves.

As I say continually, "C'mon blokes, get into straight shaving." Yeah it takes some time (and blood) to be proficient at but is it worth it.

I stand corrected and eat humble pie. The Dovo is shave ready straight out of the box. I've had three shaves now and all have been great. I won't be putting it to the hone for a freshen up for a couple of months at least. I first started wet shaving with a Dovo straight and it wasn't real pretty or successful. It wasn't till watching others on the internet and refining their tips to my shaves that I realise it wasn't a dull edge but a dull operator that caused unsuccessful, tugging shaves.

Depends on where you buy it from, many a seller will give it a touchup before sending. Jarrod @ TSS is known for that, all part of the price.

Personally I am happy if it comes touched up, but would head up to see @Mark once I had a few shaves with it. Not for a full hone, just a light going over to freshen the edge. The following time would get the full ultra-sharp treatment.

Razor: Schick Injector E Type
Blade: Personna Injector (3)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Imperial Leather

It had been a while since I'd used the mighty Cella as I've been focussed on 'finishing off' some other soaps & creams I have lying around. Cella is a seriously good soap that I enjoy using very much. Dead easy to use, fantastic scent and it gives a great shave every time. The Omega synth whipped up more lather than I could use in a week of shaves!

I got a tiny nick on my neck on the second pass. Nothing life threatening but it reminded me that a light touch is definitely required with the E Type.

I dusted off another old friend to finish proceedings - Imperial Leather ($10 at Coles) has one of the best scents on the market.

Last edited:
Brush: shavemac #177
Lather: Razorock Santa Maria del Fiore Firenze (thanks @SydBJW )
Razor: CV Heljestrand Le Duc vintage straight
After-shave: Aqua De Velva

Well if the soap did well for @filobiblic I thought it'd reciprocate with me. The scent of this soap is simply exquisite. So complex, you get new notes that cut through the mid to highs when it's wet. I can't put my finger (or is that nostril) on it but it is sweet and very delicious. The lather was very wet and quite slick but it didn't really seem best suited to a straight shave. Seemed low on the protection and was quite slippy in the wake. But that scent!

I've only ever really shaved with (or more accurately 'scratched my face with the edge of') hollow grinds,, so a first for something coming close to a wedge. This little piece of Swedish steel is a quarter hollow 6/8 blade. Maybe I was just lucky - though I suspect @Mark 's impeccable honing helped too - but it was one of my most comfortable and confident straight shaves yet. I think I like that the thicker blade creates less fuss - less audible feedback on the stroke. I also like that little bit of extra weight. I didn't think I would when first in hand but it inspires a bit of confidence.

Having said that still nowhere near BBS anywhere and still minced a little of my neck in the ATG attempt. But I still feel I am progressing......albeit very, very slowly.

Last edited:
Shave with an axe....?

Like this?

late-1930s-1940-Shaving-with-an-axeretronaut.jpg

Did someone say Menthol ?

20150816_SOTDSINVERT_zps9oc2rr3h.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Merkur Vision (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Simpson Chubby 1 Super
Soap: Mike's Bay Rum
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Today was the second shave I had with the box and I could finally try out one of the most interesting razors out there – the Merkur Vision! I have always been very intrigued by this razor and it's unique design, but have been reluctant to get one myself, as I have often read negative comments about it.

Although the razor is large (huge actually) it is not very heavy and very nicely balanced. The loading of the blade is a joy and I opened it exactly half way for today's shave. I was told, that the 2 sides do not save equally, and a couple of very short strokes confirmed this for me. The difference is quiet noticeable with the blade feel on the face.

I decided to use the aggressive side for my first 2 passes (WTG, XTG) and the mild side for my last 2 passes (XTG/ATG, ATG). The razor has a very easy to find angle – actually there is a very short angle of attack and so you either shave with the correct angle, or not at all – I very much like this in a razor.

The shave was wonderfully close and easy – it was quiet surprising for me actually, but the razor is a real joy to use.

I realise more and more how much I enjoy Mike's soaps – especially when combined with a badger brush. I think this is because of the enormous amount of water the lather holds.

The Chubby felt again great on my face – but it sure doesn't like to share that wonderful lather :D

Status
Not open for further replies.