Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Schick Injector E Type
Blade: Personna Injector (4)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Palmolive
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum

I wonder how many shaves these Injector blades have in them. The fifth shave on this one was the best so far! Super comfortable, super effective. It seems like its only just beginning to hit its stride.

Brush: Semogue 620
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna Red
Cream: Boots 'Cool Cologne'
A/S: Pinaud VIBR
Mate does that mean you have both the Smogs 1305 and 620. Great choice. They remain my two go-to brushes!

Pre-posting tomorrow's shave tonight as I know it is going to be amazing.....

sotd20150815.png

Razor:
Pureman OC Proto long handle
Blade: Vintage Schick Super Stainless - fresh (via @borked)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: It's a secret - the maker you have heard of but the scent is an all new & unreleased creation arrived in this country today.

The Melbourne guys will be the first to see it & smell it, with Sydney closely following. But the first shave, that's mine.

The scent is great, and something that speaks to us as Aussies.
Strewth that looks interesting @Monsta_AU . I'm intrigued....

Last edited:
Ok guys need some advice please...
Nonick sent me a sample of B&M -latha which I really enjoyed. Good scent and great performance- thanks again @Nonick.
I'm really keen to get my hands on a barber shop soap...so which has the nicest scent and best performance??

Sunday 16 August 2015

209290d1439729311-sun-august-16th-sat-august-22nd-sotd-17082015.jpg

Mastro Livi Double Carbon Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch

It is always hard for me to tell what of all the Mastro Livi razors I have in my collection is the one I like the most. Each one has its own character and personality, making it unique and special. What I know for sure, is that they all are superb shavers. This one is quite special for the fact it is a double carbon damascus san mai - personally crafted by Mastro Livi, of course - and especially "tailored" for my hand thanks to a special ergonomic grip. Not to mention the fact Mastro Livi wrote my name in the tang, giving this razor an absolutely special, unique and personal touch. I simply love it! I am also trying to compare my shaving soap to others in order to better understand how good is the one I make and what I should change or improve. This was also the occasion to use this lovely 4711 eau de cologne aftershave, a fragrance I really like and this one also proves to be a good aftershave.​
  • Pre-Shave: RazorGuy Pre-Shave Oil
  • Soap: Valobra
  • Brush: Omega Syntex 90081
  • Bowl: Old Barber Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm
  • Razor: Mastro Livi Double Carbon Damascus San Mai, 15/16 Full Hollow, Barber's Notch
  • Post-Shave: Alum Block
  • Post-Shave: Umbrian Extravirgin Oil
  • After Shave: 4711 Eau de Cologne Aftershave

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Voskhod(courtesy of @StueyB )
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Strewth by PAA for Shave the Man
Post Shave: Strewth AS by PAA for Shave the Man
Two pass shave today very relaxed and enjoyable. Soap can take water but lathers up very easily and the scent is like walking into an R.M. Williams store. Great cushion and very slick. The AS is mentholated and cools you down for a good ten minutes post application.
20150816_220954 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Pre-Shave PAA Mentholated ICE Scentless Pre-Shave Soap
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap PAA for Shave the Man Strewth! - You reek o' Stockade
Razor Ikon #102 Slant
Blade Voskhod (1)
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil
Aftershave PAA for Shave the Man Strewth! - You reek o' Stockade

Although it's still a tad chilly down here in Melbourne today I couldn't resist trying the ICE mentholated Pre-Shave sample and the Strewth! Soap and AS.
As the name suggests ICE is scentless with a nice level of menthol, leaves the face feeling nice and cool during the shave. As @Monsta_AU and Con @shavetheman both pointed out the soap is very thirsty and took quite a bit more water than I expected but the lather and slickness was worth the wait. Wonderful scent and the AS nicely matches and cools with an added Methol kick.

Not the best share today:

Brand new blade in the SE and very sharp well stropped straight and the most grief I've had for ages. The lather was fine, everything was fine - except me. Everything just tugged and pulled and gave me a lousy shave. Nothing to do with angle [well maybe the straight] nothing to do with the lather or the prep. Nothing to do with anything. Ok, I'm in denial. There obviously was something wrong. My whiskers felt like steel wool. Today I shaved after a shower and a hot towel treatment. I felt like I was plucking my face with multi grips.

Prep - as written already.
Soap MdC clone[ish]
Brush Plisson
Razor Straight/MM Bullet tip with brand new blade
After treatment. A splash with alcohol and not a reaction at all. Go figure.

Score out of 10?

3/10

150817_zps5n9zzp6w.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Tim's Columbia River
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

The Thater whipped a beautiful lather from the Tim's soap. The Columbia River fragrance is really pleasing to me - like a walk through a damp conifer forest, but without being "piney". The Hoshi Tombo was sensational - laser sharp but smooth and comfortable. This was one of the best shaves I've ever had. If shaving could be as good as this every day. Well, that's what we all aim for, I guess...

Not the best share today:

Brand new blade in the SE and very sharp well stropped straight and the most grief I've had for ages. The lather was fine, everything was fine - except me. Everything just tugged and pulled and gave me a lousy shave. Nothing to do with angle [well maybe the straight] nothing to do with the lather or the prep. Nothing to do with anything. Ok, I'm in denial. There obviously was something wrong. My whiskers felt like steel wool. Today I shaved after a shower and a hot towel treatment. I felt like I was plucking my face with multi grips.

Prep - as written already.
Soap MdC clone[ish]
Brush Plisson
Razor Straight/MM Bullet tip with brand new blade
After treatment. A splash with alcohol and not a reaction at all. Go figure.

Score out of 10?

3/10
Not good at all. [emoji26] One of those days you just leave behind... At least you can count on another chance tomorrow! (Or whenever your face recovers...)

Not good at all. [emoji26] One of those days you just leave behind... At least you can count on another chance tomorrow! (Or whenever your face recovers...)

That's the bizarre thing, no irritation. Just a lousy - while it happens shave - and as you say there is always tomorrow.

The Thater whipped a beautiful lather from the Tim's soap. The Columbia River fragrance is really pleasing to me - like a walk through a damp conifer forest, but without being "piney". The Hoshi Tombo was sensational - laser sharp but smooth and comfortable. This was one of the best shaves I've ever had. If shaving could be as good as this every day. Well, that's what we all aim for, I guess...

@Mark did a first class job on your Hoshi, @Draco Noir . You've got to be pleased with that. It's gorgeous.

150817_zps5n9zzp6w.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerine soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Thater 2-Band
Soap : Tim's Columbia River
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

Mate this all looks absolutely sensational....and I'm not just talking the selfie in the brush handle ;)
Can you put me on the list of folks you contact if ever you think of parting with this Hoshi Tombo?

Status
Not open for further replies.