Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate this all looks absolutely sensational....and I'm not just talking the selfie in the brush handle ;)
Can you put me on the list of folks you contact if ever you think of parting with this Hoshi Tombo?

@stillshunter - I doubt that I'll be getting rid of this treasure mate. There are a few Hoshi Tombo 6000's on ebay, and they are well worth checking out. They have a slightly asymmetrical grind (like a kami but less extreme) and are also fantastic shavers. The only thing they don't have is the really long tang of the 8000. If you find yourself seriously interested, just make sure there isn't too much hone wear, and that surface patina is minimal. Most of them are around the U$200 mark. PM me if you want any further info mate.

@stillshunter - I doubt that I'll be getting rid of this treasure mate. There are a few Hoshi Tombo 6000's on ebay, and they are well worth checking out. They have a slightly asymmetrical grind (like a kami but less extreme) and are also fantastic shavers. The only thing they don't have is the really long tang of the 8000. If you find yourself seriously interested, just make sure there isn't too much hone wear, and that surface patina is minimal. Most of them are around the U$200 mark. PM me if you want any further info mate.
Will do mate, thanks for the offer.

I do like the look of the 8000 - and it has a western straight grind doesn't it?

I might save it as a reward for myself when either I get better with the straight - and I mean as good as I am with a DE....or when I finish my first seriously long run and I'm talking about more than 2.....oh who am I kidding. So when I can get BBS like I do with a DE, then I might hunt for something of this calibre.

USD200+ seems more than reasonable when you compare to what you pay for a new Dovo or Thiers-Issard ... and I assume the Hoshi Tombo is of a superior quality metal.

I mean I could just sit here and watch this spin for hours...
....utterly mesmerising.

Though still prefer the look of the tortoise-shell monkey tail
DSC_1194_zpsajpcngh1.jpg~original

DSC_1195_zpsq6akzbth.jpg~original

Last edited:
ZSWJUsW.png

Dedicated to a generous friend with a heart of gold

Pre-Shave - Myrsol Emulsion
Brush - Semogue Mistura
Soap - Tim's Soap Greek Peach
Razor - Ikon Slant DLC (on loan)
Blade - Personna
Post Shave - Thayers Witch Hazel, Myrsol Blue, Balm​

Used a slim for the second time ever tonight, and I think it may have replaced my Fatboy as my #2 favourite razor.
why what's #1?*
*...well I suppose he was begging to be asked and it's best to get it out of the way.

What did you think of the Vintage Blades Citrus? It has worked well for me the times I have used it.
I liked the scent and the lather was yoghurty rich and post-shave face feel was top shelf. Thanks mate.

Number 1 is still the @filobiblic's ERR.
What you still holding a torch for it? Another man's razors? Hmmmm....

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue( Courtesy of @StueyB )
Brush: Semogue 1305
Soap: Van Yulay Chocolate Glaciado( Courtesy of Monica Gillam and @shavetheman )
Post Shave: Clubman Pinaud
Nice two pass shave with a clean up. As soon as you open the tin of Van Yulay I am transported to a lolly shop and I can smell the Jaffas. It lathered up a to a nice marshmallow consistency and gave me great protection and slickness. Very happy.
20150817_232917 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

20150818_SOTDSArt_zpssgxuocfy.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Merkur Vision (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin 2015 TSN LE
Soap: Queen Charlotte Soaps Basilica (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Post-shave: Alum, Ghanese Organic Unrefined Shea Butter, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

For today's shave I decided to use a soap from the box and so went back to my own Paladin brush. I believe this soap has been in the box already, and I can't believe I haven't used it so far.

As always, I tend not to comment on the scent of a soap as this is highly subjective - but I can confirm, that I felt transformed into an old Italian church - I'll let you decide for yourself, if this is good or a bad thing :D

The soap was very easy to lather and takes a medium amount of water. It is super slick and provided a nice cushion - however taking it to the wetness level I like, it started to loose a little bit of its structure.

While last time I opened up the Vision half way (3.5 / 7), today I went for it and opened it up to 5 / 7 – and boy does the razor become a different beast. I used again the more aggressive side for the first two passes and felt the blade on my face immediately. I could not have used the same side for passes 3 and 4 and was already contemplating of closing down the razor a bit. But with the slightly less aggressive side, I could finish the shave.

To my surprise the result was a super close shave with no blood and only a tiny bit of burn – very satisfying for my second attempt. Having said that, for me the half open razor definitely hit the sweet spot, and I would rarely open it up any more...

[QUOTE, that I felt transformed into an old Italian church -..

And was there a little pope running around inside you? :)[/QUOTE]
Fortunately no :)

Jeez mate the Mike's weren't that grubby when I sent it t you ;)

Brush: Aesop (23mm STF2)
Soap: Washpool v.3 (thanks to @Nightguard )
Blade: SPP (3)
Razor: Weber PH
Post-shave: Antesol

Didn't realise the Washpool was a non-Palm Oil job, if I did then I would have jumped on @Nightguard 's BST. So thought I'd try the sample I got here just to console me for my loss - the lack of performance would vindicate my tardiness - WRONG! This stuff is good. Bugger!!!!!

Razor: Schick Injector E Type
Blade: Personna Injector (6)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Williams
Aftershave: Pinaud Lime Sec

That's the longest I've ever pushed a blade of any type, be it a cartridge, DE, SE or Injector. I'm the type of guy that uses a DE blade for one shave and then tosses it. I'm ultra-sensitive to blade dulling and I can't stand the feeling of a blade pulling in any way. This blade has powered on like a marathon runner on EPO! It's doubly surprising given the fact my first encounter with Injector blades was horrendous.

Status
Not open for further replies.