Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes the traditional scent. I was getting a bit of sage and rosemary in mine. Not much lavender or eucalyptus as is supposed to be but the scent strength was fairly low. Performance was excellent though. Have you tried it? Happy to send you a sample to try.
Thanks for the offer but I've got some. Fantastic performance but I also found the scent to be low. Perhaps the other scents are stronger. I personally prefer a very strong scent. But you can't fault the soaps performance.

150824_zpsaqdbtpiy.png

Face Wash : PAA Ice mentholated glycerine soap
Brush : Plisson "la Maison du Barbier"
Soap : Van Yulay Bay Rum (with thanks to Con @shavetheman)
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 8000
After Shave : L'Occitane Cade AS Balm

A totally wonderful shave today - I enjoyed every bit of it. Used the Van Yulay Bay Rum for the first time and wow, just wow! As @StueyB observed about the Van Yulay he tried (Spiced Mahogany?) the fragrances of these soaps are complex and sophisticated. This is no "in your face" blend of Bay Rum ingredients - everything works together so seamlessly that the only individual scent I can identify for sure is cloves. It smells great in the tin, and opens up magnificently when lathered. The lather too is first class - cushiony enough and with lots of glide. Adding more water for a wet lather doesn't cause it to break down.

The Hoshi Tombo shaved like a dream today and I achieved a 95% BBS shave in two passes. No nicks, no weepers, just a brilliant shave. This little straight is very quickly becoming my favourite razor - it offers the perfect blend of performance and ease of use for me. It really does manage to combine the best of Kamisori and western straight into a package that feels natural to use.

I guess the only downside to today's shave is that it may be a hard act to follow....

20150824_SOTDS_zpsvbc2xxve.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Schick Injector L Type (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Blade: Schick Injector (1) (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon 2-Band
Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood Stick (from YKW Australian pass-around box)
Post-shave: Alum, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel

Today was my first encounter with an injector razor – and after my poor results with SE's in the past couple of weeks I was very positively surprised. Yes it's not the nicest handle out there and yes the loading of the blade is a bit tricky – but the angle is very easy to find and due to the small head, the razor is very manoeuverable and very smooth. The curved handle is a nice feature as well – you can take the razor at the end and you have the perfect pressure due to this form. All in all I think this would be a fantastic travel razor. It was one of my fastest shaves ever.

It was however not my closest shave, but I think this was more due to the soap. TOBS is a well regarded brand and has many followers – I wont be one of them though. The smell was very fake and had IMO nothing to do with Sandalwood and for the life of me I could not get a great lather our of the soap. The glide was good, but the soap lacked body for me.

No photo today

Mystery Synthetic
Vie Long soap stick
Ikon 101
GSB (5)
Lucky Tiger AS
One Million Intense EDT

Pushed the blade to a fifth shave as it's the last day of my holiday. All was well and I didn't combust. I actually got a really close shave. Might have been down to the soap?

Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: Gillette Super Adjustable
Blade: Personna Red
Soap: Shaver Heaven Peppermint plus
A/S: Wahl Barbers Bay Rum
Hey @Nightguard, where'd you get the Wahl Bay Rum from. My barber used it and it's not a bad scent at a reasonable price. He used to buy it in 5 litre botttles but neither of us can find a place that stocks it and I had the Wahl site (manufacturer/stockist?? -too long ago to remember) tell me it was a discontinued line (5 litre container at least).

Hey @Nightguard, where'd you get the Wahl Bay Rum from. My barber used it and it's not a bad scent at a reasonable price. He used to buy it in 5 litre botttles but neither of us can find a place that stocks it and I had the Wahl site (manufacturer/stockist?? -too long ago to remember) tell me it was a discontinued line (5 litre container at least).
Shavershop, $18.95 for 250mls, Turnley's also carry it, but shipping is pricey. It's very nice, good amount of menthol and a really nice Bay Rum scent. @luckypirate weren't you looking for decent Aussie made Bay Rum?

QQ3mSuG.jpg

Pre-Shave L'Occitane Cade Shaving Oil
Brush Vulfix #849 Pure Badger
Soap Strop Shoppe Via dell'Ambra
Razor Gem 1912
Blade Gem Stainless Steel SE
Post Shave Dickson's Original Witch Hazel & Argan Oil

Really love the scent of this soap, it lingers for hours after the shave. I'm really coming to like the Gem 1912, great close shave with very little effort. A couple of minor weepers tonight where I used too much pressure.

How long do SE blades last? This is third shave with the blade and it seems even better than the 1st shave

@Dale.Whiley I might know a place not far from me that stocks it.
Desire me to take a mosey over and gander at their range sometime soon ?
Would procuring any they have upon your behalf be prudent or a premature purchase ?

Razor: Weber polished head on bulldog handle
Blade: Schick Super Platinum (1)
Brush: Vintage Butterscotch Simpson "The Duke"
Soap/Cream: LPL unscented
Aftershave: LPL splash

Decided it was time to ditch the old Wilkie with an unknown number of shaves. Using the LPL soap from @SydBJW which I'm really enjoying and the new LPL splash from @Nightguard .

Really nice shave - close but comfortable. The LPL splash has an interesting scent - can't place it but do like it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.