Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that Vintage Travel Razor an ABC (American Button Company) by any chance?
.... @Mark1966 ?
I'm not too sure. It doesn't have a makers mark anywhere I can see and comes in a small metal tin. It looks the same as the Hoffritz travel razor but without any makers mark. I'd be interested to find out who made it though.

Is that Vintage Travel Razor an ABC (American Button Company) by any chance?
.... @Mark1966 ?

I'm not too sure. It doesn't have a makers mark anywhere I can see and comes in a small metal tin. It looks the same as the Hoffritz travel razor but without any makers mark. I'd be interested to find out who made it though.

Well @Mark1966 might be able to help. So nothing at all under the baseplate? Not even a digit or letter or two?

It is not an ABC Pocket Edition - looking like one of the many forms of travel razor that comes in a small tin and breaks down into individual pieces. A LOT of company's made them including Gillette but this doesn't look like a Gillette. Hoffritz made them but there are a lot of no brand clones too.

M67nW1E.jpg

My best straight shave yet. I had the voice of @Mark in my ear, "don't chase BBS, let it find you".
Did it find me?
Well, no. But I did hear its footfalls not too far away. What I most appreciated were some little zen moments of complete oneness of mind and concentration. A bubble that bursts as soon as you realise it's there. That, and my face is quite cool and unraw.

This morning I am a very happy man.

NB: this photo reminds me why I hate taking photos with my phone! iPhoneography* is a joke!
* even if mines a Samsung the principle of the genre remains the same.

All my pics are from a S3 mate...

All my pics are from a S3 mate...
Yeah I freely admit to being a photography snob...and film lords it over digital in my world. But mobile photography and I just can't even be in the same room...I call her "too plastic" and she holds her nose and rejoinders "you smell of decaying carbon".

Hey Stuey, mate, can we get an unobstructed view of that razor rack of yours?

sniff....seems everyone's got some Saponificio Varesino except for me*
* and a few others but they don't count as they are not me

Are we still going to buy the soap, I am keen, I think others are as well.

There goes that sabbatical moniker you wetter clawing back

There goes that sabbatical moniker you wetter clawing back
Pfffft, it weren't ever going away anyway. I will remain a "2015 Sabbatical Fail" for as long as I remain here...and not chuck a Steve Hardy, having all my avatar badges replaced with a neat little BANNED banner. Hmmm...

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Polsilver SI
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: St James Of London Founder's Reserve
Post Shave: Proraso Green
Two pass shave with a clean up. First use of the St James cream and it is excellent. Lathers up easily into a marshmallow consistency and the scent is very nice. A small amount went a long way as well. Is an hour to long for a shave? The time just seemed to disappear as I lost myself in the shave.
20150822_234030 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

Two pass shave with a clean up. First use of the St James cream and it is excellent. Lathers up easily into a marshmallow consistency and the scent is very nice. A small amount went a long way as well. Is an hour to long for a shave? The time just seemed to disappear as I lost myself in the shave.

No @Osman, unless you can figure out how to fit 2 or 3 shaves in per 24 hour period, an hour is fine. I can certainly get lost in the Zen of a Kamisori shave for a long time - I think the intense concentraion and connectedness make you unaware of time passing. Only the best experiences manage to do that to you...

150823_zps6cf6qgoo.png

Face Wash : O Melhor exfoliating pre-shave soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavemac
Soap : Tim's Signature
Razor : Wolfman WR1-SB
Blade : Polsilver SI [new]
After Shave : Floid Blue

Not much to say - the Wolfman delivered a howler of a shave, ably assisted by a superb lather from the Tim's signature soap. An indulgent splash of Floid Blue, and sore cheek muscles from smiling too much...

My best straight shave yet. I had the voice of @Mark in my ear, "don't chase BBS, let it find you".
Did it find me?
Well, no. But I did hear its footfalls not too far away. What I most appreciated were some little zen moments of complete oneness of mind and concentration. A bubble that bursts as soon as you realise it's there. That, and my face is quite cool and unraw.

Yes @stillshunter, those "milestone" shaves are wonderful events aren't they. They're the ones that confirm that it is really possible to do this naked blades shaving thing, do it well, and really enjoy it on a number of levels. The Zen or mindfulness aspects are an incredible bonus.

After a really satisfying kamisori shave the other day, I was thinking back to my first wet shave. I managed to achieve an incredible bloodbath with a Merkur DE - the product of ignorance, inexperience and a bundle of bad habits from cartridge shaving. Boy, things have certainly moved along since then - I get intense enjoyment from shaving these days, and in the case of Kami or straight shaving, a definite sense of accomplishment. And as @Mark so wisely observed, BBS finds you.

Good you seem to be on the brink of it all - keep at it and above all, enjoy :)

@Draco Noir , so well said mate!

I made mince meat of my face after my first DE shave - with an EJ89 and IP Red for crying out loud. Today I look back and wonder how I could have gotten it so wrong.

But it took me two years of daily shaving with the DE to get here. Scarily when I do the math, that's about 600 shaves (working on 2 years at about 300 days per year). Since I only shave with the straight on the weekend, then I should be in a similar place with them in 11 and a half years....so c'mon bring on that fateful Sunday in 2026!!!

Did it find me?

Yes @stillshunter, those "milestone" shaves are wonderful events aren't they. They're the ones that confirm that it is really possible to do this naked blades shaving thing, do it well, and really enjoy it on a number of levels. The Zen or mindfulness aspects are an incredible bonus.

After a really satisfying kamisori shave the other day, I was thinking back to my first wet shave. I managed to achieve an incredible bloodbath with a Merkur DE - the product of ignorance, inexperience and a bundle of bad habits from cartridge shaving. Boy, things have certainly moved along since then - I get intense enjoyment from shaving these days, and in the case of Kami or straight shaving, a definite sense of accomplishment. And as @Mark so wisely observed, BBS finds you.

Good you seem to be on the brink of it all - keep at it and above all, enjoy
Calling all the other blokes on this forum. Give it a go. Push through and you'll love it.

Here you go @stillshunter
EuvfA5K.jpg

uah8R33.jpg

Off cuts from our Kitchen renovation, drilled out to 13mm which fits eveything except the Merkur 34C - had to file that out a little as the handle is 13.6mm.
Then realized that Super Speed is only 10mm - so that wobbles a bit at the moment. Will fill the hole with some silcone weather strip or something.
Finished off with two coats of Danish oil - needs one more I think.

Thanks @StueyB , I got a nice piece of cedar in the garage that I've been saving for that special project. Hmmmm...I bet I can't find it now that it becomes aware of my intention to cut, drill and sand a bit of it ;)

@Draco Noir , so well said mate!

I made mince meat of my face after my first DE shave - with an EJ89 and IP Red for crying out loud. Today I look back and wonder how I could have gotten it so wrong.

But it took me two years of daily shaving with the DE to get here. Scarily when I do the math, that's about 600 shaves (working on 2 years at about 300 days per year). Since I only shave with the straight on the weekend, then I should be in a similar place with them in 11 and a half years....so c'mon bring on that fateful Sunday in 2026!!!
So you post here 6 times per shave?

So you post here 6 times per shave?
...or more!
(Fuqme, what are you the thread police now mate?!)

Glad you're counting, cause now using that as a guide, my 4200th SOTD post from today will be when I report nailing that straight shave!

Status
Not open for further replies.