Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
JPEM6wX.jpg

Ahhh yeh!
Just had an amazing shave!!
3 days growth, used a Gillette 7 o'clock for the first time, very nice.
Zero nicks and NO irritation at all!!
Think I'm getting slightly better at this DE shaving, felt a million bucks after, had to post this straight away..[emoji3]

Yeah the Razorock is OK. Well maybe a small step up from OK. I think the scent elevates it but I found the performance about as good - talking in relative terms of the other recent samples from @SydBJW - as the Vintage Blades Herbal Citrus. Actually its performance quite reminded me of B&M soaps. For my money and in my opinion, it's not in the same league as the other samples such as LPL Rose Pushkar, ShaverHeaven 'Summer Breeze', Caties Bubble 'Midnight Dreary', Dr. Jon's 'Propaganda'. or Reef Point 'Submariner' and 'Dragon's Blood'. Must say the Reef Points were a big surprise....really good on the face and on the nose. Oh but by far the biggest surprise to me was the Caties Bubbles 'S'more Love for Noah'....even though the performance is superb, that scent is just way too much for me....like Coconut Rough Rocky Road Ice-cream Syrup topping a mound of sugar and molasses.

I must admit you have to be in the right mode to use the Caties Bubbles 'Smore Love for Noah' but does perform great like all their soaps. Agree about the Reef Point Soaps, shaved this morning with Reef Point Earl Grey and Ginger sample from @MrT given to me by @filobiblic (great scent and performance, now have used 3 reef point soaps and all are great).

150917_zpsvybhiij4.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera 2 Band Olivewood
Soap : Cold River Jardin d'Orange (kind loan from @Lifes a Peach )
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 6500
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

A pleasant shave today. First use of the Romera brush - even after a shampoo, it still reeks of badger musk. The backbone and texture are great though, and it produced a nicely scented lather from the Cold River soap that @Lifes a Peach kindly lent me. The Hoshi Tombo 6500 also stepped up for its first shave under my stewardship. It gave me a smooth and comfortable shave, but seemingly not as brilliant as the Zubari Hoshimasa did yesterday. There may be a bit of learning curve before I get shaves of that level from it - we'll see. A splash of Musgo Real's super Orange Amber AS and I'm ready for action.

Looks like a stellar shave!!! Looking forward hearing your thoughts on the Romera - I know @Lifes a Peach loves his!

20150917_SOTDS_zpscdadeuzg.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Brush: Vie-Long Epsilon Horse
Soap: Bald As WeD2|9 (Soap made and kindly donated by @bald as )
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Almost forgot how much I like this Epsilon horse - or should I call it poor mans Chubby? Actually that would be unfair - I would choose the Epsilon 9/10 shaves :D

Great shave - the soap is another winning forumla by @bald as - slightly more work than the OO formula, but for me also more body, so definitely worth it.

12042691_10203641904686643_2176165103877572910_n.jpg

First time using a kamisori. Big thanks to the @Mark . Some strokes felt perfect and sharp. Many (actually more accurately "most") others felt wrong and dull. Assume it's down to angles. Feeling a little raw but still, strangely, super keen to explore the Japanese way.
You've finally made it to your Kami! Well done mate. [emoji106]

Razor: Kamisori #4 (thanks @Mark)
Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna Gem (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

Two passes with the MMOC were followed by a pass with my new kamisori. I went WTG on my right & left cheeks, then did the moustache area and chin. I omitted the neck. :D

The kamisori felt great on the skin and superb in the hand. It is wonderfully manoeuvrable device. I believe it will be a better option for me than a straight razor given my eyesight (although I think I'll end up enjoying straights a lot).

This will be a long journey and I'm glad I've set out on it.

Very nice picture @Nightguard - good composition - liked the ascending heights of the components. Ooops hang on a minute this is meant to be Shave of the day - Picture of the day is somewhere else (or should be for those who simply want to post photos.(Just channelling my Grumpy Old Man over an increasing habit on SOTD).

Looks like a stellar shave!!! Looking forward hearing your thoughts on the Romera - I know @Lifes a Peach loves his!

@Draco Noir and I must have had our brush rotations in sync today. Used my Romera this morning as well. Señor Gustavo's customer service leaves a lot to be desired but his Manchurian knots are exceptional.

Couldn't agree more, @alfredus - I'd also take the Epsilon over the Chubby any day of the week. Maybe "discerning man's Chubby" would be a better description?

So lucky that you guys talked me into getting one. That Epsilon horse is a ripper.

Very nice picture @Nightguard - good composition - liked the ascending heights of the components. Ooops hang on a minute this is meant to be Shave of the day - Picture of the day is somewhere else (or should be for those who simply want to post photos.(Just channelling my Grumpy Old Man over an increasing habit on SOTD).

I think it's a picture of what he has used for the shave. One picture replaces typing the thousand word description.

I was planning of uploading a sound recording of my shave tomorrow but I guess that wouldn't pass either GT? : )

I was planning of uploading a sound recording of my shave tomorrow but I guess that wouldn't pass either GT? : )
:tap on:
*whooosh*
:tap off:
:twisting soap lid:
*shlooop-shlooop* *shlooop-shlooop*
: open razor:
*skreeeech*
*skreeeeeeeeeech* *skreeeech*
:tap on:
*whooosh* *splash* *splash*
:tap off:
:screw AS lid:
*flooop-flop* :rub hands: *slap* *slap*
Ahhhhh!
:screw AS lid:

It's the silence in the middle I'm concerned about.
What is this, magic ?

iGTylva.jpg

Proraso pre
Saponificio Varesino Dolomiti
Omega 37 boar
ATT H2 razor on Kronos handle
Gillette green blade
Thayer's original
Myrsol C
Diptyque Vetyverio

My first use of the Dolomiti. What an awesome soap. A great mildly earthy scent. I would rate this my favourite of all the SV soaps (having tried all but the LE Flying Mango).

ATT H2 razor needs a light touch as it is pretty aggressive. Very enjoyable though. Definitely a razor needing more of my attention.

Razor: Merkur 34C
Blade: Gillette Platinum
Brush: Semouge 620
Soap: Shave Heaven 1st Anniversary
Post Shave: Shaver Heaven 1st Anniversary balm

As instructed by @Anthony I let the soap bloom. Scent is great but complex hard for me to describe (the lid says Tangerine, Pepper, Sandalwood, Florals, Amber, Moss) I get the pepper and floras and maybe some of the tangerine with my first shave. Lathered easily and provided for a great shave. Liked the aftershave balm as well.

20150917_211736 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr
Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L
Blade: Gillette Rubie
Brush: Antiga Barberia de Bairro
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat & TOBS Eton College
Post Shave: Loccitane Bavx Balm
Three pass shave today. Bloomed the MWF in the bowl and lathered up then added the TOBS to produce a wonderful lather with a descent scent. Great fun and a great shave.

Status
Not open for further replies.