Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: Kamisori #4 (thanks @Mark)
Razor: Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna Gem (2)
Brush: Omega S10108
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra

Two passes with the MMOC were followed by a pass with my new kamisori. I went WTG on my right & left cheeks, then did the moustache area and chin. I omitted the neck. :D

The kamisori felt great on the skin and superb in the hand. It is wonderfully manoeuvrable device. I believe it will be a better option for me than a straight razor given my eyesight (although I think I'll end up enjoying straights a lot).

This will be a long journey and I'm glad I've set out on it.

I'm really impressed. Well done. I will have to send one of my Kamisori's to @Mark because I don't think it is quite right.

Steve

My first use of the Dolomiti. What an awesome soap. A great mildly earthy scent. I would rate this my favourite of all the SV soaps (having tried all but the LE Flying Mango).
I'd love to hear your thoughts (even if only a sentence or two on each) on the range of SV soaps - and AS if you've tried them.
I don't think there is currently a thread on SV soaps but you sound the prime candidate to start it! Please do.

Mm, flying mango sounds interesting.
As long as its flying and not the rotting on the ground smell you get used to if you have mango trees and the bats get to them before you do.

Pre-Shave êShave Pre-Shave Oil Verbena Lime
Brush The Grooming Co Synthetic
Soap Shaver Heaven Hubba Hubba
Razor Gillette Slim H2 (6)
Blade GSB
Post Shave Argan Oil & Madre Labs Unscented Witch Hazel (alcohol free)
Aftershave Myrsol F./Extra

Three pass face lather today. I may be reaching equilibrium with my face lather in that I ended up with as much lather on my face as there was on the sink after lathering. Now If I can just keep more on face than ends up around the bathroom.
GSB's are giving me a consistent 5 shaves before I need to toss them in the slim. Dropped back to 6 on the slim, 7 left me feeling a little too raw - no nicks just a bit over exposed.

Kamisori: Inoue Fujisuke
Razor: Micromatic Clog Pruf
Blade: Personna Gem (3)
Soap: Mike's Lime
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805

Tonight I did the first pass with the kamisori (cheeks, moustache, chin & a little bit of the neck). I found some parts easier to negotiate than yesterday and some I found harder. I'm feeling more confident applying the blade to my face but I'm a loooooooong way off getting a good shave.

First go with Mike's Lime - smells delicious and there's the usual Mike's performance.

1805 - not something I'd ever have bought but now that I've tried a sample I may one day. I love the scent. I'd describe it as citrus/creamy/mildly spicey.

Last edited:
Hi there,

This morning my face had a pleasant encounter with a Good Humor O\C Bakelite razor 1933 (Possibly a rebranded Conrad as Good Humor is in the icecream business :/ ).

Cream: Sport Aqua - Made in Cuba by Suchel Camacho
Blade: Schick (Energizer)
Brush: The Brush
A.F: Aqua Velva Ice Sport
Classic 3-PASS for a BSS result.

Blade: Personna Gem (3)
Soap: Mike's Lime
Aftershave: Truefitt & Hill 1805

Tonight I did the first pass with the kamisori (cheeks, moustache, chin & a little bit of the neck). I found some parts easier to negotiate than yesterday and some I found harder. I'm feeling more confident applying the blade to my face but I'm a loooooooong way off getting a good shave.

First go with Mike's Lime - smells delicious and there's the usual Mike's performance.

1805 - not something I'd ever have bought but now that I've tried a sample I may one day. I love the scent. I'd describe it as citrus/creamy/mildly spicey.

Glad you enjoy the Mikes mate. The 1805 is the aftershave splash. The cologne is much stronger.

12034431_10203650654865392_1301116306574781514_o.jpg

The Viking is so like my Le Duc - no surprises there as they're both CV Heljestrand quarter hollows. The Viking is stainless however and also felt a little heavier. So the shave felt familiar...and the result? Well, yep, you guessed it, best straight shave yet. Not all over BBS and not perfectly smooth through each and every stroke, but I'm still learning and I am pushing things a little more each time.

Big thanks goes out to @Mark for enabling this straight. She's gonna be a fave for certain...and not just for her beautiful looks and form. Thank you, you scallywag, you!

Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 5
Blade: Spoiler (6)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann '42' (aka the answer to life, death, the universe and everything)

Thanks to SydBJW for the swap on the 42 - I am glad it isn't exactly your style!

This stuff is almost a sweet Arko - but also has a slightly powder/floral note to it in order to round it out. Good for Spring, no doubt about it at all although I am sure it would be too much in summer. I did find it seems to lather differently to the other B&M premium soaps. It certainly needed more working to bring that youghurty cream lather on the face, but I did start off quite a bit drier than I have previously. Never really bubbled up during the additional water phase either, just increased in size.

Spoiler keeps on keeping on. Just starting to notice the drop-off in closeness.

12034431_10203650654865392_1301116306574781514_o.jpg

The Viking is so like my Le Duc - no surprises there as they're both CV Heljestrand quarter hollows. The Viking is stainless however and also felt a little heavier. So the shave felt familiar...and the result? Well, yep, you guessed it, best straight shave yet. Not all over BBS and not perfectly smooth through each and every stroke, but I'm still learning and I am pushing things a little more each time.

Big thanks goes out to @Mark for enabling this straight. She's gonna be a fave for certain...and not just for her beautiful looks and form. Thank you, you scallywag, you!
Sounds like a great shave.

I'm liking what I'm seeing in the background too.

150919_zpsxqlyr7xu.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerin soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera 2 Band Olivewood
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Kamisori (Sandor Jenes, Hungary)
After Shave : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

A beautiful Spring morning in Melbourne had me thinking of freshness and warm weather shaves :). My first shave with the Jenes Kamisori, back from a brief but effective visit to @Mark (y). It gave an excellent 2 pass shave, but with a different face feel to the Japanese blades that I use so much these days. A tiny bit more "drag" and a different kind of feedback is the best I can describe it. Something interesting to explore with @Mark. The Stirling soap and AS splash were perfect for the Spring feel I wanted - I seriously love this fragrance, and it's great having the continuity between soap and AS. A very satisfying shave...

150919_zpsxqlyr7xu.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime/Menthol Glycerin soap
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera 2 Band Olivewood
Soap : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man
Razor : Kamisori (Sandor Jenes, Hungary)
After Shave : Stirling Sharp Dressed Man

A beautiful Spring morning in Melbourne had me thinking of freshness and warm weather shaves :). My first shave with the Jenes Kamisori, back from a brief but effective visit to @Mark (y). It gave an excellent 2 pass shave, but with a different face feel to the Japanese blades that I use so much these days. A tiny bit more "drag" and a different kind of feedback is the best I can describe it. Something interesting to explore with @Mark. The Stirling soap and AS splash were perfect for the Spring feel I wanted - I seriously love this fragrance, and it's great having the continuity between soap and AS. A very satisfying shave...
That looks a damn fine blade right there mate. Looking forward to hearing/seeing more of it in subsequent SOTDs

SOTD Saturday, September 19
5F440C93-4D11-43A9-AAF7-88A263E7B3CA_zpslt6dnsgu.jpg

Cold water shave.
Soap: Shaver Heaven, Drogon Noir. Face lather
Brush: Edwn Jagger badger
Razor: Inoue FujiSuke kamisori (thanks @Mark)

Picked up the Kamisori from the PO this morning, went to Men's Shed and got home around Midday. Staight into the shave den and with a lot of trepidation I lathered-up for my first shave with a kamisori.

Altough I found some of the angles a little difficult at first as I purposed to "stay traditional" and only use one hand, I found the kami a dream to use. Without doubt the kami is sharp. The only knick I had was old faithful, a mole on my neck that if I forget to shave around, it reminds me it is there.

I feel that the kami, the blade being shorter in length than a western style straight, requires less skin stretching and technique to achieve a close shave. I was surprised with how user friendly the kami is. As I learn the one-hand shave technique and different angles of the shave the pleasure in using the kami will only increase. The kami has already replaced my straights as my favoured blade after just one shave. It really is a joy to use. Over the Christmas break I intend to take off the plastic handle and replace it with leather lacing to make it look "more traditional".

20150919_SOTDS_zpsegih0fsz.jpg

Pre-Shave: Occams pre-shave soap, cold water
Razor: Wolfman WR1-SB with WRH2
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Stirling Vetiver alcohol free Witch Hazel, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
What a beautiful spring day here in Adelaide and a very nice shave to make it even better :D

Blade: Personna Gem (4)
Soap: Bald As Olive Oil
Aftershave: Floid Blue

The kamisori seemed much sharper today which tells me that I'm starting to feel the angle. The domain was once again restricted to one pass on the cheeks, moustache and chin, with a bit o' neck thrown in for good measure.

Steve's soap was a great match for the naked blade. I can't wait to try the lanolin-enhanced version in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.