Shave of the Day 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Razor: E1 Fatboy @ 4
Blade: Spoiler (5)
Brush: Plissitane
Soap/Cream: @Barrister & Mann 'Rhapsody'

Rhapsody on a beautiful spring day in Sydney. Doesn't get any better than that.

Skin has very much improved on the @Barrister & Mann - it appears my skin is taking a disliking to anything else ;)

Preshave : @Draco Noir preshave Oil
Razor: EJ DE89L
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Shavemac 177
Soap: Cella
Post Shave: Thayer's Witchhazel followed by Armani eau d' aromes
Three pass shave. Still had some Saponificio Varesino in the bowl so used it with the Cella to give me an excellent lather. Really enjoyable shave. The shave was from this morning just a little late in the posting.
20150915_181036 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

150916_zpsqeel1swp.png

Face Wash : Razorock Lime Menthol Glycerine
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Shavenac Custom
Soap : Shaver Heaven Summer Breeze - Thanks to @Anthoiny
Razor : Zubari Hoshimasa - thanks to @Mark
After Shave : Speick AS

First shave with the Zubari Hoshimasa, and what a way to open an innings. Smooth, organic feeling and very very comfortable. Not to mention a fantastic finish with precically no effort or drama. Nice skin conditioning courtesy of the Speick AS. I feel like I've hit a truly Golden Patch with Kamisori and straight shaving at the moment. Hope it continues......

Could I trouble you for perhaps a puck or two of modern non lathering Trumpers soaps too. Just to sweeten the deal?
No love sorry, yet despair not, I might be able to do a Crabtree & Evelyn.

Skin has very much improved on the @Barrister & Mann - it appears my skin is taking a disliking to anything else ;)
Oh how terrible, my condolences mate.
I'm hoping you pull through and have a puck of Conk ready and awaiting your call for help.
There's no shame...

Last edited:
Razor - 1959 E4 Fat Boy
Blade - Polsilver SI
Soap - Proraso Red
Brush - Plisson L'Occitane Synthetic

Thoughts - I was finding the GSB's a little "rough" (for want of a better term) in my newly acquired Fat Boy. The GSB is my staple in my '59 Red Tip and Muhle R89. I persisted for a few mornings, thinking it may have been a lather or angle issue, refusing to believe it was the blade. Boy was I wrong! The Polsilver was awesome. Very smooth on all passes, most notably the first. I had her at setting 9, might crank her back to 7 tomorrow. Problem is, this is my last Polsilver SI and I just purchased 100 GSB'so_O. But that's all good, i'll be using them.
I do also have a Voskhod or two laying around which will certainly get a run in the Fat Boy. This will no doubt lead to my second 100 blade purchase. ohhhhhhhhhhh, I also have some Personna Israeli Reds......................

And heres me thinking im all done, ive found my blade...........

Brush: 620
Lather: Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze (thanks @SydBJW )
Razor: Tennis
After-shave: Antesol

Best shave yet with a hollow ground....have found a preference for a fatter face (like my quarter hollow) but this little Solingen beauty by Fritz Bracht is the business....so zippy to set in orbit around Planet Face.

Last edited:
Brush: 620
Lather: Santa Maria Del Fiore Firenze (thanks @SydBJW )
Razor: Tennis
After-shave: Antesol

Best shave yet with a hollow ground....have found a preference for a fatter face (like my quarter hollow) but this little Solingen beauty by Fritz Bracht is the business....so zippy to set in orbit around Planet Face.
What about the suds? Comments...?

Scuttle with boar brush and lather applied by hand - no brush.
Testing theories or just trying something different? You're always into new things mate... [emoji12]

@filobiblic - :) actually I quite often create lather in a scuttle and then apply it by hand with a light massage. I find it to give a good cover and it "seems" to remain a bit wetter. But yes I do like to try new things from time to time.

What about the suds? Comments...?
Yeah the Razorock is OK. Well maybe a small step up from OK. I think the scent elevates it but I found the performance about as good - talking in relative terms of the other recent samples from @SydBJW - as the Vintage Blades Herbal Citrus. Actually its performance quite reminded me of B&M soaps. For my money and in my opinion, it's not in the same league as the other samples such as LPL Rose Pushkar, ShaverHeaven 'Summer Breeze', Caties Bubble 'Midnight Dreary', Dr. Jon's 'Propaganda'. or Reef Point 'Submariner' and 'Dragon's Blood'. Must say the Reef Points were a big surprise....really good on the face and on the nose. Oh but by far the biggest surprise to me was the Caties Bubbles 'S'more Love for Noah'....even though the performance is superb, that scent is just way too much for me....like Coconut Rough Rocky Road Ice-cream Syrup topping a mound of sugar and molasses.

Oh but by far the biggest surprise to me was the Caties Bubbles 'S'more Love for Noah'....even though the performance is superb, that scent is just way too much for me....like Coconut Rough Rocky Road Ice-cream Syrup topping a mound of sugar and molasses.
I bet you were surprised when you licked the shaving brush...

Preshave: Proraso Red
Razor: Edwin Jagger Head, Handle solid stainless kindly on loan from @Draco Noir
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Soap: Mitchells Wool Fat and St James of London Mandarin and Patchouli
Brush: Antiga Barbearia de Bairro(kindly on loan from @Draco Noir )
Post Shave: Pinaud Clubman
Three pass shave. The scent on the MWF is not great so I added a bit of the St James to lift it and the result was a great lather with a pleasant scent. The handle is a little longer but much heavier than the standard Edwin Jagger handle so I was quite conscious of it. Excellent shave was the result.
20150917_075934 by Osman Mehmed, on Flickr

150917_zpsvybhiij4.png

Face Wash : Shower
Pre Shave : Myrsol Emulsion
Brush : Romera 2 Band Olivewood
Soap : Cold River Jardin d'Orange (kind loan from @Lifes a Peach )
Razor : Hoshi Tombo 6500
After Shave : Musgo Real Orange Amber

A pleasant shave today. First use of the Romera brush - even after a shampoo, it still reeks of badger musk. The backbone and texture are great though, and it produced a nicely scented lather from the Cold River soap that @Lifes a Peach kindly lent me. The Hoshi Tombo 6500 also stepped up for its first shave under my stewardship. It gave me a smooth and comfortable shave, but seemingly not as brilliant as the Zubari Hoshimasa did yesterday. There may be a bit of learning curve before I get shaves of that level from it - we'll see. A splash of Musgo Real's super Orange Amber AS and I'm ready for action.

12042691_10203641904686643_2176165103877572910_n.jpg

First time using a kamisori. Big thanks to the @Mark . Some strokes felt perfect and sharp. Many (actually more accurately "most") others felt wrong and dull. Assume it's down to angles. Feeling a little raw but still, strangely, super keen to explore the Japanese way.

Status
Not open for further replies.